Profile for RAarka > Reviews

Content by RAarka

RAarka

Hard Choices: A Memoir
Hard Choices: A Memoir

4.0 out of 5 stars to totally condemn someone like that is not a clear perception, 2 July 2014
Despite some reviews, I bought it. I was interested in her as she's served so long, and been a woman in a powerful position. I felt any review on here could have been politically motivated - mine is not. I simply am a working class woman all my life, now trying to reinvent myself. I didn't expect her, given it being so recent to divulge state secrets, I expected it to be somewhat careful, but I still have been impressed. Even if much had already been publicized, it puts it in a chronology and cohesive manner. You simply have to appreciate all she has done, whether you agree with all the politics of her or not. You also have to appreciate how much she traveled, and given of her life to be in such a HARSH limelight and stop 100% demonizing her and everyone else in politics; to totally condemn someone like that is not a clear perception. I think she writes of decision making and the responsibility faced, and one can learn from that - especially women. I have learned how delicate it is and how pragmatic you must be to juggle things - they are not always clear cut and it usually takes concessions on all sides to make something work.

A Fort of Nine Towers
A Fort of Nine Towers
by Qais Akbar Omar

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: A Fort of Nine Towers (Hardcover)
This is an exceptional book showing the amazing journey of the author and his family. It is really enlightening to the many diverse cultures of Afganistan and the true warmth of its culture. It also gives a first hand view of what the natives have experienced over the years with all the war and one man's view of it. I was truly touched and could not put the book down.