Profile for FSHero > Reviews

Content by FSHero

FSHero

Navitech 1amp In Car Charger for the Garmin Nuvi 200, 205, 260, 265t, 270, 275t, 300, 310, 350, 360, 465t, 500, 550, 5000, 850, 855, 880, 885t, 1200, 1210, 1240, 1250, 1260, 1270, 1290, 1300, 1310, 1340, 1350, 1370, 1390t, 1410, 1440, 1490, 1690, 3710, 3760, 3790 & fits all W, T, & WT Models
Offered by Navitech Official UK Store Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars good during the 6 months before breaking, 9 Dec. 2013
Not sure if this experience is peculiar to me, but I found that after about 6 months of using this moderately frequently, the 'nib' terminal (the springy one at the very end of the adapter) fell out, rendering the adapter unusable.

Otherwise worked well while it lasted.

Plugable USB Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy Micro Adapter (Windows 8, 7, XP, Linux Compatible; Classic Bluetooth and Stereo Headset Compatible)
Offered by Plugable Technologies

3.0 out of 5 stars Linux compatible... but only just, 11 April 2013
I bought this product specifically because I needed GNU/Linux compatibility, but I was not happy with what I found. I have since returned the product (thanks Amazon.co.uk), so the following has been written in retrospect in order to inform others.

I use Kubuntu Linux 12.04 amd64 running the 3.2.0-38 kernel. When the adapter is plugged in, it enabled me to transfer files between my phone and my PC 'out-of-the-box' with no further configuration. However I was not able to use any advanced Bluetooth features such as sharing my phone's internet connection with my PC.

In Windows XP, all the functions are available. (However I had to install the adapter's own Bluetooth management programme as well as the drivers; it does not use Windows XP's own Bluetooth management options, which is a shame.)

Further inspection of the problem revealed that this Bluetooth adapter is based on a Broadcom chipset. The device ID:vendor ID is 0a5c:21e8. I noticed in the output of dmesg that the device required firmware:
[ 16.069102] Bluetooth: can't load firmware, may not work correctly

A quick search led me to this Launchpad page:

It elaborates that some users are having difficulty in uploading firmware to newer Broadcom devices. This was my experience too. Perhaps newer kernels are able to successfully upload the firmware, but I was not on my version (see earlier).

During my attempts to upload firmware, I figured out (by browsing through one of the .INF files that Windows uses to install the driver) that the required firmware file's name is:
BCM20702A1_001.002.014.0187.0259.hex

You will need the HEX2HCD utility to process it into a form that the Linux firmware loader can use. (I successfully produced a .hcd file, but I couldn't load the firmware on my setup unfortunately.)

I hope that the above helps someone in making their decision to buy, or getting it working after buying it. It seemed to work, but it doesn't integrate well with Windows XP's own bluetooth management, nor did all of the functions work in Linux 'out-of-the-box'. Thus I give this product a decidedly unremarkable 3 stars.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2014 8:08 PM GMT

Hama Star 61 Tripod
Hama Star 61 Tripod

2.0 out of 5 stars If it arrived in one piece, it would've been a good tripod., 8 April 2012
This review is from: Hama Star 61 Tripod (Accessory)
I ordered this tripod as it was cheap at the time I bought it (less than £12 in March 2012). Unfortunately, it arrived broken in the post. Specifically, the main arm for looking nose-up and nose-down was broken from the hinge so would come off completely during use. This was especially dangerous for my camera, as the whole camera attaches to this piece (if I remember correctly).

Fortunately, the vendor, MyMemory, allowed me to send it back by freepost for a full refund.

I would have been taking this camera on holiday abroad, but assuming that it was broken in transit to my house, how would it a survive a trip in my luggage during airport baggage handling?

Otherwise, it seemed good: only a small amount of 'give' in the legs when extended, high (greater than 150 cm). However, it might not have been perfectly horizontally level in the portrait-landscape attachment's landscape position -- I cannot remember.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought two: one good, one bad., 8 April 2012
My father bought two of these Kingston Datatraveller 8GB sticks.

One of them turned out very good: good write speeds, and importantly, reliable.

The other one - mine :( - not so good. It is not reliable. Especially when copying a large number of files, the operation sometimes fails. After such a failure, the whole drive is sometimes corrupted. Thank goodness for Unison sync...

I have formatted my drive but to no avail. Unfortunately it is not reliable enough for work and studying use for me and so I have consigned mine to the scrap-heap.

1 star for mine, 5 stars for my dad's => 3 stars overall from me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2012 6:33 PM BST

Saitek Cyborg V1 Stick (PC)
Saitek Cyborg V1 Stick (PC)
Offered by ADMI Limited UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value-for-money feature-packed joystick, 6 Oct. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I would like to begin by saying that I am not sure if joysticks in general are recommended for use in patients with RSI or carpal tunnel syndrome. I am sure however that they are designed for use in space flight and air flight simulator games, and in this respect this joystick excels.

Briefly, this Saitek Cyborg V1 has 7 buttons, an 8-way point of view hat, a throttle lever and a 'twist' rudder (twist the stick to turn the rudder) in addition to the usual x- and y-axes. On paper therefore this is an excellent joystick, incorporating every feature I could think of.

How is the performance in games? I have tested this in Wing Commander Prophecy, Wing Commander Secret Ops and Freespace 2. In all three games I have experienced no problems. (Only one minor complaint in WC Secret Ops: for some reason, if I invert the rudder in the game to change the behaviour to what I expect, it does not remember the setting.) I especially appreciated the twist rudder, which allows me to roll while banking/pitching -- useful for 'evasive' manoeuvres.

The feel of the joystick is good; it is easy to move, and auto-centres.

In the past I have used very cheap joysticks: e.g. 2-axis 2-button joysticks. These suffered from some major problems: even at rest, the joystick signal 'trembles', so it was difficult to fly in straight lines when using them. They would have good gradation of movement in one direction (e.g. left) but if moved in the opposite direction (e.g. right) the movement would be maximum, so making them difficult to aim with. Finally, the auto-centre mechanism would break. These problems would manifest themselves after 6-months to a year's worth of (admittedly heavy) playing.

So far I have encountered none of the above problems. I have been using the joystick moderately for about 3 months, so I cannot give information about long-term durability.

The joystick has excellent compatibility. It connects via a USB port. I have tested in in Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP1 and Kubuntu Linux 10.04. They all immediately recognise the joystick.

The only minor quibbles I have with this joystick are: there is a blue LED light where the trigger button is; this might annoy you in a dark room as it illuminates what's behind your monitor. Also, it has a wide base which requires (very simple) assembly, but cannot be easily disassembled. Therefore, it takes a moderately large amount of area on your desk (about a square of side-length 24cm) and is not easy to transport long distances (e.g. by car).

In summary, this is a very capable joystick, and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to any occasional or moderate gamer -- especially given the phenomenal value for money (at time of writing this cost just £20)!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2013 8:39 AM BST