Profile for lady > Reviews

North & South (Complete BBC Series) [DVD]
North & South (Complete BBC Series) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniela Denby-Ashe

5.0 out of 5 stars Woww!!!!, 15 Sep 2009
Fascinating, breath taking, magnificient...... Those who adores P&P must have see this!!! Such a gripping piece of work from the beginning til the end. Everything is arranged correctly as it must have been, the players,the scenes.. (only the script in some parts has some failing parts but then P&P also has it. It is an adaptation after all)
I cried and laughed and was tensed and astonished and experienced all the sensations along with the characters.
Bravo!! Thumbs up!!

Black Sheep
Black Sheep

5.0 out of 5 stars gorcious, 22 April 2008
This review is from: Black Sheep (Paperback)
This is much alike the lady of quality. At some place I died with laughter. There are nice turns in the plot which takes you aback. See it for yourself. Lovely read, highly recommended.

The Nonesuch
The Nonesuch

5.0 out of 5 stars nonesuch, 21 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Nonesuch (Paperback)
Beauty may attract and plainness may repulse, but they are ony illusions that may lead one to false.

The Quiet Gentleman
The Quiet Gentleman

5.0 out of 5 stars quiet gentleman is not quiet indeed, 21 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Quiet Gentleman (Paperback)
This is not a book that the events are spinning around the romance quite the reverse. Here, neither the events nor the people are not what they seem to be. Great read I loved it but as it is a Heyer this should not be surprising.

A Civil Contract
A Civil Contract

5.0 out of 5 stars heart wrenching, 7 Mar 2008
This review is from: A Civil Contract (Paperback)
This is indeed a well written book as most of other Heyer Books are and it does tell us a part of real life in all its nakedness. ıt is all about what one must do what one must not one wants. But unfortunately I could not make myself love or even esteem the hero and the heroine in the least. Despite he acts as the victim who sacrifices himself, he is but selfish. He accepts help as a necessity from a man whom he calls as a vulgar and consecutively torment his daughter with all his vanity. It was only after he gained his own money through his own means that he softened against her and her father. Where would they be if he had not? I detest him more when I learned that the heroine was pregnant despite the passionate love he declared for another and the disgust against his wife. And I pitied the heroine because she betraied her friend, married her lover taking the advantage of his deadlock, a man whom she knew was marrying her for money and who would for sure never love heroine in the way he did the other. So I also think her as a selfishbeing because it -was her wants all that mattered even though it seemed the reverse. She married him because she wanted him. ıt was for him the marriage was a necessity not for her! What honourable woman could digest to be defeceated as she was, knowing that he married her but for her money. She did everything in her power just to please him and make him love her. But she wanted him so desperately that she endured anything that was to come from him, even to accept to see forever the shadow of another woman in his eyes. And at the end it was his esteem but not his love, as it belonged to another, all that she obtained.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2010 10:02 AM GMT

Sprig Muslin
Sprig Muslin

5.0 out of 5 stars more adventure than romance, 7 Mar 2008
This review is from: Sprig Muslin (Paperback)
The certain thing about this book is, it really takes you by surprise. You turn each page thinking what is to happen next and more you read more you are surprised. I recommended it but not as a first to a starter of Heyer books.

Sylvester
Sylvester

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 23 Jan 2008
This review is from: Sylvester (Paperback)
This is truely wonderful. Not any other word is suitable to describe it. I could not put it down till I finished it. The plot, the characters, the conversations, the descriptions are so real, as it is in any other heyer book. Highly recommended.

Becoming Jane [DVD] [2007]
Becoming Jane [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Anne Hathaway

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not jane austen, 18 Sep 2007
This review is from: Becoming Jane [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
As far as I know from what I read, Jane Austen was first in love when she was in 20 and be seperated for some reason and I believe that that love was the inspiration of Pride and Prejudice. But I do not think that all the events that took place in the novel really happened in Austen's life. In my opinion such a conclusion will be nothing but an insult to her wit and imagination. Her father was a clergyman but they were not misserables they lived a quite comfortable life as just in the novel. All her brothers were fond of her, her mother was not a Mrs. Bennet, there were love and understanding in her family, otherwise ıt would not be possible for her to remain unmarried, to gain her independence and be a writer. Unlike the film, she did not earn much from her novels during her lifetime. She had many many diffuculties to have her book published and with only the help of her father and her brothers she succedeed.

IF this is meant to be a film of jane austens life, I did not enjoy it. But IF this is meant to be just a imagination not caring and basing the realities and history than I may say safely that I enjoyed it.

The actor playing Tom Lefroy was well chosen, but somehow he must be much taller if he were to be darcy. Anne Hathaway' s pronounciation was not well fit, she has not that ironic satire and proud ways.

Watchable but will not take a place in my memory

Frederica
Frederica

5.0 out of 5 stars a heart warming tale, 6 Sep 2007
This review is from: Frederica (Paperback)
This was not the first heyer book I have read but certainly it was the best. I agree with that reader who finds similarities between frederica and pride and prejudice. I felt the same too. I have read before lady of quality, the convenient marriage, civil contract, cottilion, venetia and the grand sophy. none of them make me feel this excited (Freddy in cottilion is my second best hero after alverstoke)Here the story was very well formed. It makes you feel like as if you are not reading a fiction but a true story with real characters. It is so close to real life. I have read it for three times already feeling the same amusement each time.

Cotillion
Cotillion

5.0 out of 5 stars how can you be so absurd when you are so wise, 18 Aug 2007
This review is from: Cotillion (Paperback)
Freddy for sure is not one of the expected usual heroes but he is really a hero. I liked this book and as I do to the the other heyer books I have read it several times. But to tell the truth I like Freddy above all. He is not handsome, he is not very tall, he has not quick witts but he is what a hero ought to be, always at hand, helping, soothing, understanding and guarding, kind hearted fellow. The only failing part in the book was that kitty's affection seemed not to be real and sincere (excluding the last chapter) It seemed more like a friendship than a love affair.

Page: 1 | 2