Profile for Mr. J. Croasdell > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Croasdell

Mr. J. Croasdell (Poole, Dorset, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Sony AX100X 4K Camcorder with 1.0 Type Exmor R CMOS Sensor - Black
Sony AX100X 4K Camcorder with 1.0 Type Exmor R CMOS Sensor - Black
Price: 1,577.90

3.0 out of 5 stars The best camcorder for the money, 14 May 2014
Context
I had been using my cousin's Panasonic HDC-HS100 HD camcorder for a few years now and had out grown it. It was time to buy my own and get something a lot better. I bought the camcorder because of the rapidly falling prices of 4K TVs and 4K computer displays. Also, with an awareness of the way TV technology is going it made buying a regular HD camcorder a rather pointless exercise. I don't own a TV and don't have a full HD screen on my laptop. I have owned the camcorder since 29th of April 2014.

The picture quality on the camcorders lowest setting (AVCHD at 17 mega bits per second) is ok viewed on a 32inch TV. It's the setting I use for disposable video clips where the video content matters more than the quality. Filming the speaker at the recent Dorset Adult Aspergers Support meeting is an example of this. Or if you were to film yourself getting to sleep in bed and then speed it up 30 times. The picture quality on AVCHD at 24 mega bits per second is much better and is the setting I now use all the time. I haven't filmed anything using the XAVCS codec in HD or in 4K so I don't know what it's really like. I will be buying the next version of Adobe Premiere Elements when it comes out in September.

Things I like about the camcorder.
1. I like the flaps that cover the sockets on the camera. They keep the dust out.
2. I like the sharpness of the photographs it takes.
3. I love the viewfinder and the pull out screen, they have great colours.
4. The Full HD video quality is excellent when viewed on a 32 inch TV - very little dot grain and the picture is sharp.

I can't comment on the low light video quality as I have not tested that yet.

Things I don't like about the camcorder.
1. It only records in stereo when recording 4K video. When set at other resolutions sound is recorded as 5.1 audio.
2. There is no means to add owner name or address into the camcorder's menu, I'll have to make and use one of my "I'm lost please contact my owner" type stickers.
3. The multi interface shoe is where you would normally attach Sony video microphones or video lights. Sony has recessed this shoe into the body of the camcorder meaning that only Sony accessories fit. I can't attach the external mic I had from the old camcorder (an Audio Technica PRO 24-CM) without buying an Accessory Bracket (Sony VCT-55LH) because it won't fit.
4. The lens cap has no attachment for a bit of string so could easily be lost.

The Instruction / Operation Manual is available here:
[...]

The help guide is available here:
[...]

I have an Acer Aspire 5750 laptop (bought in the summer of 2011) that has an Intel Sandybridge core i7 processor and 6gb of memory. I can play the 4K XAVCS video files back using the Sony "Play Memories Software". I can't use VLC media player. It doesn't work for me. My laptop is too slow to realistically edit 4k video. It will do it but there is an excessively long wait for your project to render. It took around 15 min to render a 1.5 min video.

What to do in what order

1. Register ownership

2. Download Sony "Play Memories Software". This software inspects your existing photos and videos and displays them in date, month or year format. You are meant to use this software to copy video files from the camcorder to your pc. In my circumstances it is also the only way to play the 4k video files back. In the medium term the Sony Play Memories Software is essential to me.

3. Some early consumers get a free download of Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum 64bit. Download and install this. This video editing software makes lower resolution proxy files of your 4k video to make editing easier. Watch the training video here [...]

4. Some early consumers also get a free download of Sony DVD architect studio 5. Download and install this.

Accessories

Microphones
To banish wind noise you are going to need to get the Sony ECM-XYST1M

Sony make 2 versions (old and new) of a Bluetooth microphone system that both use the "Multi Interface Shoe". The one to buy is the SONY ECM-W1M. This has an external microphone socket on the transmitter. The version that's available on Amazon (SONY ECM-HW2) does not. You will have to buy the ECM-W1M on eBay as for some strange reason it's not available in the UK or on the Sony UK website. The Sony Bluetooth microphone ECM-W1M that I bought on eBay works brilliantly with this camcorder.

Size for bag
The internal size for a camcorder bag is 23cm long, 11cm wide and 8.5cm high. Using these measurements would allow you to buy a bag with a good fit. If you were to buy the external microphone (Sony ECM-XYST1M or ECM-GZ1M) then you would need a taller bag.

Memory Cards
You are going to need at least 64GB SDXC card that supports the new ultra high speed (UHS 1) standard. Even then at 4K resolution you will only be able to record 2 hours and 17 minutes of video. To make the camcorder more usable consider buying a 128GB SDXC card that supports the new ultra high speed (UHS 3) standard would be a lot better. Consumers will reluctantly have to wait for 256GB SDXC UHS3 memory cards to become affordable. The benefits of such large memory cards are when you record time lapses or shoot 4K video. Sony hasn't currently verified that 128GB or 256 GB cards will work with this camcorder. However the SDXC standard does allow for memory cards up to 2TB.

Storage
If you were to film everything in 4K you WILL need some industrial strength storage. Storing the resulting video files on your laptops 1TB HDD is not going to cut it. Fortunately 4TB HDD's are now affordable.

If there were a mark 2 version my wish list would be:
Make the camcorder a USB 3.0 device. Copying a 64gb SDXC card takes ages on USB 2.0. As the read speeds of memory cards increase this will become more of an issue.
Adding GPS would allow geo tagging of photos and videos.
Include the VMC-UAM2 accessory cable in the box. This would allow you to copy the contents of the memory card on to a 2.5 inch portable hard drive and then carry on filming.

Does this camcorder render my Canon D550 DSLR redundant? Yes, much easier to use and the photos are SHARP. The video quality (even on regular HD) is a significant step up from what I'm used to.

You may need to spend additional money on:
A new computer,
New XAVCS compatible video editing software,
Hard disc drives,
Memory cards,
External Microphone with "dead kitten" wind jammer e.g. Sony ECM-XYST1M
quality tripod. Sony make one with a remote control on the handle (VTC-VPR1) and are not too badly priced.
You are going to need a USB 3.0 memory card reader. The memory card reader in my laptop is way too slow.
You would also benefit from some form of neck strap.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2014 7:17 PM BST

Tinnitus Retraining Therapy: Implementing the Neurophysiological Model
Tinnitus Retraining Therapy: Implementing the Neurophysiological Model
by Pawel J. Jastreboff

5.0 out of 5 stars There is hope if you ask the right treatment questions, 10 Dec 2013
If you're looking at this book and wondering is it worth the money? I can tell you that this book is fantastic.

Pawel J. Jastreboff is the man who wrote the hows, whats and whys (the Neurophysiological model) for tinnitus around 24 years ago. The book is, I believe meant for doctors and audiologists.

In the book, I like the little gray boxes on most pages that give a summary of the paragraph(s) below it. There are also diagrams used to explain certain ideas and concepts. You don't need to read the book from the beginning. I'm finding this book relatively easy to read. I am having to look up some new words and their meaning.

Buying this book won't cure you but it should give you the encouragement to get down the doctors and ask for a referral to an audiologist and then some Tinnitus retraining therapy. That's where I am know. This book has given me hope and armed me with the knowledge I needed. My doctor will become an expert because of what I have experienced and learned.

This is what I needed to be told by a health care professional at the time when my tinnitus first started earlier this year. I needed to be told to:

1. Go to the doctors and be put on a low dose of anti-depressants (aim for short term use). This really helped me when my tinnitus first started there was chaos in my head I was overwhelmed with noise.

2.(at the same appointment) Ask the GP for a referral to an audiologist for a tinnitus masker.

3. Go on Amazon and buy a Sound Oasis S650 tinnitus and stress relaxer (it's a sound machine and alarm clock, it plays its sounds throughout the night and attracts your attention away from the tinnitus. The device cost me 60 my sleep has improved a lot because of it. I have mine playing the sound of rain through my hi-fi when I sleep. From what I have read you should not sleep in a silent room as this usually makes the tinnitus sounds a lot louder.

4. buy and Read this book.

While I have tinnitus now, if I get some help from the NHS and have some Tinnitus retraining therapy. My tinnitus should be radically improved and quieter in less than 2 years time.

Update and correction
The Neurophysiological model for tinnitus described in this book is robust. It has been tested continuously by the medical community for 24 years. However there seems to be some debate as to the correct methodology used when administering tinnitus retraining therapy.

60~250 watt Replacement dimmer switch module 1 or 2 way operation. Push on/off rotary dim.
Offered by Hoodmania
Price: 4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good if you need one, 25 Aug 2013
My GET branded dimmer switch died recently, so buying this was the cheapest option to get it working again. Fitting the part took me about 15 min. The 5 stars are for price and speed of delivery.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money and poorly made, 30 Jan 2013
Good things:
It's bright, rechargeable via USB or mobile phone charger.

Bad things:
Cycle light bracket didn't firmly attach to handlebar. Bracket slips when tightening, I had to superglue mine so that the bracket would grip the handlebar with out slipping.
This bike light is a sealed unit. I chose to break in to mine. I can tell you that the battery pack isn't meant to be replaced. Worse they are AAA size and have 750mah capacity. In a few years of use you are meant to throw the light away and buy a new one, not good at all.

If I were redesigning this light I would:
Use proper rubber water tight seals so that consumers can get inside the torch to upgrade or replace the included rechargeable batteries when they are worn out and need replacing.
Get rid of the 3x AAA 750Mha batteries and use 3x AA 2000mha Ni-MH rechargeable batteries.
Go back to the drawing board and design a better quality bracket (one that isn't a quick release either).
allow consumers to order additional brackets so they can use this torch on more than 1 bicycle.

Rechargeable via USB or mobile phone charger is a good feature, but I'd like to Plug the torch into my phone to charge it.

PC247 10.8V 6600mAh Extended Replacement Battery For Acer Aspire 4551G, 4741, 4771G, 5336, 5551, 5736Z, 5741, 5742, 5742G, 7741G - eMachines E440, E442 - Gateway NV49C, NV53, NV59C - Acer TravelMate 5740G, 8472 - Compatible Part Numbers - AS10D31, AS10D3E, AS10D41, AS10D51, AS10D56, AS10D5E, AS10D61, AS10D71, AS10D73, AS10D75, AS10D7E, AS10D81, AS10G3E, BT.00603.111, BT.00603.117, BT.00603.124, BT.00604.049, BT.00605.062, BT.00605.065, BT.00606.008, BT.00607.125, BT.00607.126, BT.00607.127, BT.00607.130, LC.BTP00.123, LC.BTP00.127, 31CR19/652, 31CR19/652, 31CR19/65-2, 31CR19/66-2, 3ICR19/66-2, 934T2078F, AK.006BT.075, AK.006BT.080 - With PC247's 12 Month Warranty
Offered by PC 247
Price: 34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent and good value for what you get, 5 Nov 2012
This battery fits my an Acer Aspire 5750 laptop which i bought in the summer of 2011.

I have been using this as my main battery for about 3 weeks. I usually take my laptop out of my flat 3 or 4 times a week, So a good battery life is importiant.

This battery gives me at least 4.5 hours run time. I no longer need to take the power supply with me.

This battery took 2 hours 20 min to charge from dead (at less than 7% charge remaining).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2014 2:16 PM GMT

Fujitsu LIFEBOOK AH532 15.6-inch Laptop (Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz Processor, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)

4.0 out of 5 stars Unheard of performance at this price, 5 Oct 2012
I told my friend to buy this Fujitsu Lifebook ah532 laptop. It was, at the time of writing, available in Staples for 389. Anyone considering a laptop under 400 should have this on their short list. I recommended this laptop because of the high performance (third generation Intel core i5 processor) and low price. I didn't base my recommendation on colour or brand. She could have bought something else that was the same amount of money BUT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN much SLOWER THAN THIS.

I have been setting it up for her. This is what i think about this laptop.

Good things:
A third generation (Ivy Bridge)core i5 laptop at this price (389 in staples) is a steal. Nothing under 500 can touch this for computing performance.

Bluetooth is included. So you could use Bluetooth mice, wireless Skype headsets and wirelessly transfer photos or files from mobile phones and other Bluetooth enabled laptops.

There is an Express card 34 slot. This is a good thing because the laptop doesnt have a firewire socket, but you can add one using the express card slot

You don't need to make the restore discs because they are included in the box.

It is easy to upgrade this laptop to play Blu-ray discs, just remove 1 screw to take out the DVD drive and install a blu-ray drive of your choice. Just use VLC media player for free Blu-ray movie playback.

The speakers go much much louder than my Acer 5750. There isn't much bass coming out of those speakers but at maximum volume it doesn't distort either. Plug in a decent set of headphones, you will find there is bass and the sound is crystal clear with no hiss or distortion.

Bad things?
Lots of black glossy plastic.

The touchpad isn't gesture enabled so no pinch or zoom.

The touchpad has a dimpled surface texture which might not suit some people.

If there were a mark 2 version? i would:

Change the glossy black plastic chassis to a matt finish perhaps add some colour to break up the black.

Add subwoofer to enhance sound quality

Increase the screen resolution from 1366 x768 to 1600 x 900.

Make the touchpad slightly larger and gesture enabled.

Make the laptop available in matt or glossy screen.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2013 8:10 PM GMT

Sony BD-5750H-01 Notebook Blu-Ray ReWriter
Sony BD-5750H-01 Notebook Blu-Ray ReWriter

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits perfectly, 21 July 2012
This Blu-ray drive fits perfectly in an acer aspire 5750 series laptop. Just be careful when removing the front fascias of the drives prior to switching them over.

Sony BNE50B - BD-RE DL x 1 - 50 GB - storage media
Sony BNE50B - BD-RE DL x 1 - 50 GB - storage media
Offered by electricshop UK
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars When DVDs are too small use these instead, 20 July 2012
I bought 2 of these rewriteable Blu-ray discs so I could learn how to use "Imgburn" a free disc burning program prior to buying write once 50 Gb BD-Rs.

On just ONE disc I backed up 6620 Photos, 1261 Documents and 388 music files (.wav). The total amount of data was 44.6 Gb, leaving 433Mb free. Imgburn took 4 hours and 20 min to burn And verify the disc.

I used an external blu-ray writer that uses a USB 3.0 connection

Winsor & Newton Cartridge Paper Sketch Pad 110gsm - A2 - 50 Sheets
Winsor & Newton Cartridge Paper Sketch Pad 110gsm - A2 - 50 Sheets
Offered by AONESTATIONERY
Price: 16.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality paper for printing on, 4 July 2012
I use this paper with my Epson "Stylus Pro 3880" A2 size printer. For applications where Matt or Glossy paper isn't needed this is a good quality cheaper option. This paper always gives me good looking results when printing posters and family tree diagrams.

Epson EB-W12 16:10 WXGA Projector
Epson EB-W12 16:10 WXGA Projector

3.0 out of 5 stars A good projector depending on how it's used, 24 Feb 2012
Used for presentations it will probably be fine. we haven't used it for that yet. however we have projected the desktop on to a wall. My cousin and I have used this projector as a collaborative tool to plan our time. discuss holiday destinations, check what roads are like in foreign countries and looking at housing areas. it is portable.

Used for watching movies it has serious limitations because of the resolution. it will project a 5 or 6 foot image with good enough quality. projecting a 10 to 12 foot image or movie an you can clearly see the individual pixels, still watchable but not great.

There is a single built in speaker that is good enough for small groups of 8 people max. for larger groups and rooms you would need to buy some PC speakers. It comes with a bag, leads and remote control.

Page: 1 | 2