Profile for C. E. Cumming > Reviews

Content by C. E. Cumming

C. E. Cumming "Chris Cumming" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Nokia Lumia 820 8GB White - smartphones (Single SIM, Windows Phone, EDGE, GPRS, GSM, HSDPA, HSPA+, HSUPA, Micro-USB B, bar)

3.0 out of 5 stars problem with SIM contacts, 29 Nov. 2013
It arrived quickly in easy packaging. It looked great and I placed a screeen protector on it immediately. After a short fight to open the casing i realised that it needed a micro-SIM. I charged it and went down town to have a micro-SIM fitted at Vodaphone. The assistant remarked that one of the contact points seemed bent and would not fit a micro-SIM. I repacked the item and returned it. I await confirmation that the refund has reached my account. (I wanted a replacement but Amazon explained that their policy with other suppliers is to refund. I will re-order since after much research I still want one.

A Death in the Family: My Struggle Book 1
A Death in the Family: My Struggle Book 1

5.0 out of 5 stars impressive writing with short forays into meditative thinking., 3 Nov. 2013
A long deeply felt account of growing up in Norway . There is no "plot" as such. But instead there is ccontinuous reflection on actions in the past. The writing drew me in until I could hardly bear to finish reading. I'll go on to the next volume with great interest.

Windows 8 For Dummies
Windows 8 For Dummies

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8 needs a helping hand, 4 Oct. 2013
I struggled with Win 8, having had Windows Vista for 5 years. This book takes one through all the unlikely and non-intuitive parts of the new Windows. After one month I can find my way around it. Only one slight negative point is that the text is very wordy and does not have a path through it for those who have used earlier Windows.

Tab for Gmail
Tab for Gmail

5.0 out of 5 stars without on Kindle, impossible, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Tab for Gmail (App)
If you have a gmail account then accessing it on Kindle without this app is problematic and slow. It works every time. Sure fire success.

Mao's Great Famine: The History of China's Most Devastating Catastrophe, 1958-62 (Peoples Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Big on detail., 4 Oct. 2013
A forensic examination of the evil perpetrated on 600m people in the name of communism. Dikotter is like a tenacious prosecutor and we are his jury. Can there be a defence of the Great Leap Forward? Pol Pot learned from Mao. Not a jolly read but so impressive a piece of historical research.

Les Pleurs (Mr. de Sainte Colombe, version viole seule de Jordi Savall)
Les Pleurs (Mr. de Sainte Colombe, version viole seule de Jordi Savall)

5.0 out of 5 stars to wake up to, 4 Oct. 2013
set it on my kindle fire as the alarm. What bliss! Fading in over a minute or so, just the job for a peaceful doze.

My Alarm Clock - Wake up to the digital alarm clock app with sleep timer and current weather conditions

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to wake up, 4 Sept. 2013
The ability to choose which music to wake up and to have it fade in is a great asset. The choices are all intuitive and easy to follow. A great addition to my Kindle Fire apps.

Calling You (Bagdad Cafe/Soundtrack Version)
Calling You (Bagdad Cafe/Soundtrack Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic recording of a known song, 12 May 2013
This was made famous through its use in the cult movie "Bagdad Cafe". Great music and the best performer of it.

WiFi Connector
WiFi Connector

5.0 out of 5 stars A traveller's delight, 12 May 2013
This review is from: WiFi Connector (App)
Travelling to Asia for work and leisure this app is a god-send. In a remote part of Northern Lao it found signals from two hotels. within a minute I had the password for the nearer one and I was away. The presentation of possible connections with the relative strength proved useful in the dining room of one hotel where the relative speeds differed according to location.
Highly recommended.

The Expats
The Expats

5.0 out of 5 stars Spies and lies, 4 April 2013
This review is from: The Expats (Kindle Edition)
The plot is built round a couple who have secret back stories. Holds attention tot the end. If you like thrillers more or less without violence this is for you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3