Profile for Master1 > Reviews

Content by Master1

Master1 (England, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Ivuna 3m / 3 meter Micro (Type D) HDMI to HDMI Cable (1.4 / 2.0 version) Gold Plated Full HD 3D 1080p For Connecting HD Devices using the new Micro HDMI connector for, Amazon Kindle Fire HD - 2012 model, Microsoft Surface tablet, Cameras, Mobile Phone and Other Tablets
Offered by HDCentral
Price: 34.54

5.0 out of 5 stars HDMI Cable to connect Kindle Fire HD to T.V., 23 April 2014
Does what it says. I have used this cable several times to connect my Kindle Fire HD to both my HD TVs. (32" and 15").
The picture quality is very good and so is the sound. It transmits the video image at 1080p.
Happy with this product.

LiteOn IHOS104 4x SATA Internal BD-ROM Drive Bare Including CyberLink Software
LiteOn IHOS104 4x SATA Internal BD-ROM Drive Bare Including CyberLink Software

4.0 out of 5 stars Internal Blu-Ray Drive - Running with Windows 8 Pro., 23 Jun 2013
Installed this into my PC with no problems. As this is a Bare Drive, I also ordered a SATA data cable and a SATA power lead. I already have 4 screws the correct size. That was an easy install which took no time at all.
Plugged the power lead back in and booted up my machine and checked that the BIOS could detect the new drive. Rebooted machine. Logged on to Windows 8 Pro with Admin Rights and installed Cyberlink's PowerDVD 10 Software. Downloaded the patch from LiteOn and 'flashed' the drive (which updated it by 1 minor version number). Ran the PowerDvd 10 software and applied a patch from CyberLink's website.
Tested with several Blu-ray movies (Apollo 13, Skyfall, The Hobbit and Indiana Jones). All played as they should. - I used my TV as a second monitor as my PC monitor is not HDCP compatible.
So far no problems with drive.
Please note that this is a Blu-Ray ROM drive which will only read Blu-Ray, DVD and CDs, it won't write any data to any disk. I still use my DVD-RW to burn DVDs and CDs.
Have tested my drive with both VLC Player and Windows Media Player, both of which won't play any of the Blu-Ray movies that will play using PowerDVD.

Citrix Receiver
Citrix Receiver
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Citrix Plugin for Kindle Fire HD., 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: Citrix Receiver (App)
At work we are currently running trials of Citrix in a Box(VDI). Have installed this to test our setup on the Kindle Fire HD.
Easy to install. The downside is that it won't automatically open the .ica file. When the file is downloaded from the server you have to click on it to launch the rest of the Citrix in a Box.

Skyfall (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
Skyfall (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Skyfall - Just an average Bond., 6 Mar 2013
Having watched all the previous Bond movies, and heard that it got good reviews, I looked forwards to watching Skyfall in HD.
Well, Skyfall is not really that good. The title music is boring, there has not been a good title song since Tina Turner's Goldeneye.
The story is based around an ex-agent who wants his revenge on Bond and 'M', and uses his skills to keep everyone on their toes.
This movie does introduce the new 'Miss Moneypenny' and the new 'Q' (who is looks like a nerdy geek straight out of Sixth Form).
As usual the special effects, the fighting and the locations are good, but for me, the story has something missing that even the last two movies did have.

I hope that the story for the next Bond Movie is much better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2013 11:37 PM GMT

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire HD 16Gig - A Very Good Tablet, 17 Jan 2013
Well after reading many reviews I went and bought a Kindle, as I wanted more than just an eBook Reader I chose the Fire HD.
To use a Kindle Fire HD you'll need the following:-
1) an email address.
2) an account with Amazon.
3) a Broadband connection with a wireless router (ADSL, ADSL2+, VDSL).
You'll probably need the following:-
1) a suitable charger as it takes about 13.5 Hours to charge via USB - the fast changer takes just 4 hours. - The charge lasts about 1 week.
2) A screen protector
After taking the device out of the box and reading the two thin documents I powered up the Kindle, unlocked it. The configuration Wizard ran. I selected my router name, and entered the password. Entered my Amazon account email address and password, which activated a 1 month free use of Amazon Prime.

Overall it is easy to use, but remember it is not Windows.
Reading books are easy, my wife says that it is comfortable to hold for reading and she can read an eBook faster than a paper book.
I have downloaded the BBC iPlayer free app and the BBC Media Player. I watched a 1 hour documentary with no problem, my head phones plugged into the side and it was easy to watch and to hold.
I've tested the built-in document viewers. Using the supplied USB cable I copied a Word 2010 document, an Excel 2010 Spread sheet, a PowerPoint 2010 Presentation, a PDF document, a text file and a Publisher 2010 document. The only one that I could not view was the Publisher document. The others all displayed ok. - There is an option to upgrade the viewers to an editing suite, but again this is not Microsoft Office.
I copied a .mpeg music file and could play it ok. I also accessed the .mpeg music files that I've purchased from Amazon and copied them to onto the device, the sound quality is very good and does match that of the picture quality.
There is a very good selections of books, I have downloaded a couple free eBooks from Microsoft and several sample books for my wife to try. We have also tried the lending library that comes with Amazon Prime - which you are allowed just 1 book per month.

The web browser is a little slow (even with VDSL), though I did not buy it for surfing the web. I've used it for Google, Amazon, and the BBC's website.
I've also tried Netflix with no problems. The two main issues are that the Kindle does not have Flash Player for Oracle / Sun Java so I cannot run a speed test.

I have emailed ITV Player, and 4OD and 5onDemand asking if they will write apps for the Kindle, but at the moment they do not, though either they won't say if anything is in development, or they are keep reviewing what devices they will support.

The 16Gig Kindle has about 12 Gig of storage space available and there is also the 5 Gig of space on Amazon's cloud. (More space can be purchased on the cloud).
I know that some people will think that it would be handy to have a memory slot to add extra memory using a SD-Card, and I'm sure that some would like a 3G/4G connection. These features I don't miss.

All in all, I am happy with the Kindle.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2013 8:52 PM GMT

Windows 8 Pro, Upgrade Edition [Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7] (PC)
Offered by SoftwareDirect2u
Price: 139.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8 Pro 64-bit., 22 Nov 2012
Windows 8

I would advise that someone who wants to upgrade their machine to Windows 8 to first download Microsoft's upgrade advisor. This will check applications and hardware for compatibility with Windows 8.
Microsoft also has its own pages called Microsoft Compatibility Centre which lists a vast range of software and hardware which will (or won't) work with Windows 8. Both 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows 8 RT and Windows 7 are also included.
Having worked in I.T. for many years (going back to the days of Windows 3.1), and have already installed the pre-releases of Windows 8, I knew what to expect from the upgrade and its new look.
My PC is nearly 4 years old with a 320 Gig Hard Drive, 4 Gigs of RAM, 1 Gig Nvidia Graphics card and a USB Wireless adapter.
I created a new spare partition from the free space on my Hard drive and copied over all the documents and data that I wanted to keep. I already had another copy of documents and data on DVD.
I powered up my machine and set it to boot from the Windows 8 DVD. I selected clean install, resized and formatted my first and second partitions. The installation was fairly quick and I had Windows 8 installed on my machine in under 1 hour.
Windows 8 had installed most drivers apart from my printer, Wireless Adapter and Graphics Card. I downloaded the latest drivers for my USB Wireless adapter and had some trials at getting it to work. Looking on the Internet I found that other people had the same issue and the solution was to install the driver in Windows 7 compatibility mode. Doing this I got access to the internet.
I ran the Windows update in the Control Panel and this downloaded a further 750 Megs of updates.
Once all the drivers where working I installed Office 2010 and other standard applications, and customised the Windows 8 Start tiles.
Finally I created a standard user account which I use for everyday use.

I have now been using Windows 8 for a couple of weeks without any problems, and no crashes.
I'm used to the interface and have created a few shortcuts on my desktop's start bar.

Should you upgrade to Windows 8 ?
If you are still using Windows XP, then remember that Microsoft will stop supporting it from 9th April 2014.
If you are still using Vista then Microsoft will stop supporting it from 18th April 2017.
If you are using Windows 7 and happy with it then the choice is yours if you want to upgrade to Windows 8. Support for Windows 7 will stop in 15th January 2020.
(That is the current dates for extended support from Microsoft. The products themselves will of course still work).
Comment Comments (16) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2013 2:35 AM GMT

Hornby R1167 Flying Scotsman 00 Gauge Electric Train Set
Hornby R1167 Flying Scotsman 00 Gauge Electric Train Set
Price: 123.62

4.0 out of 5 stars LNER'S Flying Scotsman., 3 Nov 2012
This is one of the most popular trains in the world and Hornby has produced a very good model which looks like the real machine.
Before I purchased this train set, I did some research and found that there are several versions of the Flying Scotsman train set.
The versions are:-
1) Flying Scotsman train set which includes two coaches, oval and track pack A.
2) Flying Scotsman train set which includes three coaches, oval and track pack A.
3) Flying Scotsman train set which includes three coaches, oval with track pack A and B.
As I already have the Eurostar train set with Track packs A,B,C and D I decided to buy No.2. I have used most of the track to integrate it with my existing train set, and will extend it later when I buy some more points. That way I don't have any room for Track Packs E and F.

The detail to the engine and the tender are very good and when it runs you can see the connecting rods moving. The three coaches are of good detail, you can see into the windows, each coach has 1st and 3rd class compartments (2nd class disappeard sometime ago) and both the corridor and seats are clearly visible.
Putting the train on the track took a little time and care is needed when coupling it to the coal tender and the rest of the train.
I found that the Flying Scotsman does require a very flat surface to run one, and time needs to be spent getting all the creases out the base mat.

As this train set is at a cost, I would not let young children play with it on their own, but under adult supervision they should be able to enjoy this train set. As at the time of writing the real Flying Scotsman train is still in referbishment and York and will probably be there for a while longer before it is able to run under its own steam again, this train set is a good reminder of a great and very popular train.
In all a very good train set and does compare quite well to the Eurostar train set.
When running the two trains together, the Eurostar does sprint along a lot faster and will 'overtake' the Flying Scotsman several times within a short space of time. Which in reality, a high speed electric trian will run a lot faster than a steam train which is nearing its 90th birthday.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2013 9:58 AM GMT

Hornby R8224 00 Gauge Track Extension Pack D
Hornby R8224 00 Gauge Track Extension Pack D
Price: 36.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Extend your Hornby Train set even more., 3 Nov 2012
I added this Track Pack to my current train set to extend it even more. The pack also includes a double level crossing with track.
It was a bit fiddly to add to my existing track, but I gave myself plenty of time and no rushing. It is time well spent. I now have a good size track for my train set and there is plenty of track to run a single or two train around without them running together.
The only downside is that I've noticed that some trains will catch the level crossing gates if they are coming around a bend or moving over from one track to another via points.
In all a good extension pack to add to your existing set.

Hornby R8223 00 Gauge Track Extension Pack C
Hornby R8223 00 Gauge Track Extension Pack C
Price: 24.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Extend your Hornby Train Track., 3 Nov 2012
I purchased this to add it to my Eurostar train set which came with Pack A + B. This completes the inner curve. It was easy to put together and I completed this in a very short time. It also comes with two Power Connecting Clips and a short link wire, to give power to the inner track. This was a bit harder to figure out, but a quick Google and I found a couple of online instructions - one video clip and one step by step on how to fix the two clips to each bit of track. I can now run two trains, one on the outer and one on the inner track with just one power controller. (Both trains travel in the same direction).
All together this makes the train set a lot more complete.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2013 7:58 PM GMT

Hornby R1139 Blue Rapier (Class 395) 00 Gauge Electric Train Set
Hornby R1139 Blue Rapier (Class 395) 00 Gauge Electric Train Set

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this train set., 4 Oct 2012
I bought this train to add it to my existing Eurostar train set.
What disappointment, when I placed it on the same track that my Eurostar runs on, it kept falling off when going over the points and around the curved track.
The Blue Rapier is a little smaller that the Eurostar, and it lacks the detail - the windows are black so you cannot see any seats inside. It appears that the wheels on the train are all plastic apart from the unit with the powered engine.
The only good point is that the lights to light up in the direction of travel (the Eurostar does not).
I know that it is cheaper that the Eurostar train set, and it does come with less track (Just the basic oval + TrakPack A).
As a further test I ran both trains together and the Blue Rapier also runs slower, so much so that the Eurostar caught up with it(!).
Overall a very poor train set and I advise not to waste money on it, save your cash for a better product!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7