Profile for edpowney@yahoo.co.uk > Reviews

The Essential Collection
The Essential Collection
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Practically a " best of " for her 60's music., 22 Feb. 2002
An excellent sampler of much of Helen's best 60's POP stuff. There is a strong representation of the "Yeah Yeah" chorus recordings - Walking Back...; Lets Talk....; Shop Around etc - which, while seriously dated, are important in enabling you to appreciate her development as a singer.
I sometimes wonder what some of that early stuff would sound like if given a more sympathetic arrangement.
e.g.Cry My Heart Out or Look Who It Is could be a real revelation.
That glorious intonation and perfect pitch really come into their own with Ballads such as the superb You Don't Know;Sometime Yesterday; Little Miss Lonely and I Apologise.
The Pieces de Resistance remain I Wish I'd Never Loved You and It's So Funny I Could Cry.
They tore my heart out as a teenager and they still do.
Mind you at the other end of the scale the incredibly provocative rendition of the old Peggy Lee classic Fever was the start of more than a few teenage fantasies and still makes the hairs on the back of my neck tingle.
I've only recently rediscovered Ms Shapiro and am rapidly building a collection of her CD's.
Anyone who wants to "test the water" before doing the same would do well to use this CD as a starting point.
This badly under exposed singer continues to record really good stuff. She is still only in her 50's, still looks great and still has the purest voice around.