Profile for N. Fulker > Reviews

Tales From Acorn Wood: Fox's Socks
Tales From Acorn Wood: Fox's Socks
by Julia Donaldson

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 6 Feb 2008
We found this tale of Fox and his search for his clothes lovely and useful. The story is fun. The length of the story and content seems just the right appeal for toddlers (I have a 18m old ) to get interested in learning clothes & then 'getting dressed' too. The lengh of the book seems good for us so that it stays interesting (and usually we like to read it again!). We love 'lift the flap' books too & 'finding the clothes' in this one is fun.

I'm a Big Brother
I'm a Big Brother
by Joanna Cole

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Gift for my son...not really special, 6 Feb 2008
This review is from: I'm a Big Brother (Paperback)
I bought the book for my 18 month old son as a 'special gift' for becoming a special 'big brother' at a special time but this book just didn't seem special to me. This book had a good title but was weak on the inside - For what could be such a special, big, exciting, New life changing time for celebrating becoming a 'big brother' & family and it could have been more fun, cute, exciting but was not, I & my 18 month old son thought the same. Also it was American ('diapers' & 'Mom') in case English was required and had only 'bottle feeding' which I was surprised at in 'this day and age'...tricky if you don't use any bottles. On a positive note, there was a small section at the back for 'parents' which may be of use, tips on tackling emotions of older sibling(s) which may arise...

Insects and Spiders (Pocket Nature)
Insects and Spiders (Pocket Nature)
by George C McGavin

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting composition of insects to!, 30 July 2006
I found this book was indeed a 'unique photographic guide' as the layout was like an art piece in its self! - Clever chaotic but clear format of insects over each page with descriptions of each next to it's photo(s). Details include life cycle info, physical features, order & family, size, feeding and tries to include info of how many other similar types there are of each (obviously the book can't include all our insects!!). The book groups the insects so you can compare, it has quite a lot of general bug type, life cycles, Hqbitat& handling info at the front plus a guide to the book layout Roughly 10cm X 19cm.

Overall a fun book but I found it a bit strange as a guide, maybe great for a child to catch the 'bug' for bug-studying!? - I take my hat off to anyone who has a go at composing an Insect guide though!!

Collins Nature Guide - Butterflies and Moths
Collins Nature Guide - Butterflies and Moths
by H. Hofmann

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Field Guide, 30 July 2006
I found this book extremely well set out; very clear 'Double page' format, the butterflies & Moths are 2 or 3 per page and each has a great photo on one side with concise 'at-a-glance' headings of physical details, habitats, caterpillar & Hibernation details. The book is split into colour groups with the edges of each page coloured as to find the correct area of the book to start looking. Also at the fromt isa double page of basics on antennae types, development cycle, caterpillar parts and wing structure. This book is Roughly 18cm by 10.5cm with clear plastic sleeve cover.

Field Guide to the Mammals of Britain and Europe (Field Guides)
Field Guide to the Mammals of Britain and Europe (Field Guides)
by John A. Burton

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely well thought out., 5 July 2006
I found this book extremely well set out, very clear 'page-per-mammal' format. It includes good illustrations, map distribution and concise 'at-a-glance' charts of physical details, food and habitats, and life cycle details. Roughly 4.75 by 8.75 inches with clear plastic sleeve cover. I would love to see all these mammals in real life!

Collins Complete Guide to British Birds: A Photographic guide to every common species: Photoguide (Collins Complete Photoguides)
by Paul Sterry
Price: 11.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bird guide, 7 Jan 2005
This is the best bird indentifying book I've seen.
A great layout. Photos (not sketches) of each bird including male, female, juvenile....It also includes information on each bird size, voice, migration, habitat and areas. Also there are pictures of 'uncommon' visitor birds at the back and a lovely general introduction of habitats at the front of the book.

Garden Birds (Collins Gem)
Garden Birds (Collins Gem)
by Stephen Moss
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pocket bird guide, 7 Jan 2005
Nice introduction, with ints on attracting birds to your garden.
It's lovely and compact (3.75 x 4.25 x 0.5 inches), easy to use layout of one bird per page. Each page includes a brief section on identification, habits, feeding, breeding, voice and habitat. Also a clear photo of each bird with some sketches of juveniles.
My only minor dissapointment is on the lack of data on the size of each bird.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4