Profile for Festy > Reviews

Content by Festy

Festy "Book lover" (UK)

The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
by Tyler Hamilton

4.0 out of 5 stars Husband is enjoying this., 8 Feb 2013
I gave this to my husband for Christmas. He's started to read it and says that he's enjoying the book.

5star sales ltd 8GB MP4 PLAYER 5TH GEN WITH FM RADIO AND CAMERA (NOT AN APPLE IPOD) mp4 player dispatched by amazon random colour shipped ONE OF black,silver,blue,green,red,purple comes boxed
Offered by MoveAir

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't last!, 8 Feb 2013
Broke down after a week of use. The company did return our money though, which was a nice surprise given other reviews we'd read.

Me and My Piano: Pt. 1
Me and My Piano: Pt. 1
by Fanny Waterman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for young beginners, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Me and My Piano: Pt. 1 (Paperback)
My daughter has just started learning the piano. She's 5 and this book is really great. Nice and engaging, great pieces which are interesting to the little ones. It's really helping her start to play the piano and read music.

Soft PU Casters for an Office Chair (50mm Wheels, 16mm Collar, 11mm Pin) - Pack of 5

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but slide a long way, 7 Dec 2012
The castors are good. They're not causing any damage to the wooden floor - which is why we bought them. The glide factor has increased dramatically though - so little friction you can find yourself in another room with one little push of the feet!

PC Line PCL-WSO1 Optical Mouse USB PC Mouse, PC / Mac, 2-ways
PC Line PCL-WSO1 Optical Mouse USB PC Mouse, PC / Mac, 2-ways

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems!, 7 Dec 2012
This is a nice simple mouse. We've had it for a couple of months and it's working well. Seems like a good buy.

Litaf Seat to Go Buggy Hitchhiker Navy
Litaf Seat to Go Buggy Hitchhiker Navy

1.0 out of 5 stars Not all it's cracked up to be, 26 April 2011
We were very kindly lent one of these when my daughter was 2 and my son about 2 months. We gave it back when they were not much older! It's a very bulky buggy board which sticks out so far at the back that it's incredibly hard to reach the handles. It feels very unstable and tipped a number of times when going round a sharp-ish corner. It's almost impossible to go backwards and we often had to ask our daughter to get off if we needed to reverse. The baby can't be too flat for the seat part to actually be used, so often our daughter ended up standing (and there are much better buggy boards with standing room only). We had no problem fixing it to our maclaren, so the issue was not one of attachment. I don't think this product is for people who do any serious amount of walking. My sister seemed to get on fine with it, but she only ever drove to shopping malls and walked as little as possible on very flat surfaces - and there is a 3 year age gap between her children, so it wasn't called on for much use.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2012 11:03 PM GMT

Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain
Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain
by Sue Gerhardt

3.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read, 25 Oct 2009
I really enjoyed this book. The author writes well and translated research into easy to read chapters. She makes clear and convincing arguments for the importance of a child's earliest caring environment and hypothesises about the reasons why people who did not get good enough caring cannot just 'move on'. On the downside I thought she over-estimated the universal value of therapy and had a strong tendency to make big leaps from the research in her interpretation of it. For example, there is clear evidence suggesting that the children who are abandoned in Romanian orphanages do not develop well and suffer neuro-biologically from their neglect. However, Sue seems to criticise parents who finish their cup of coffee before they go to their crying baby - no research has ever clearly shown whether this is a problem or not! At times the book says a lot more about the authors experiences and prejudices that anything else. A fascinating read though and I would recommend it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2012 1:01 PM BST