Profile for Lois Sparshott > Reviews

Content by Lois Sparshott

Lois Sparshott "Loco" (Somerset, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Free
The Free
Price: 4.79

2.0 out of 5 stars Disengaged, 5 July 2014
This review is from: The Free (Kindle Edition)
Although I could see the merits of this book, unfortunately it just didn't hold my attention; I didn't engage with any of the characters, and I found the writing was somehow cold, and distanced me from the narrative. Undoubtedly a very good book, but just not for me.

Sideways
Sideways
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and original, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Sideways (MP3 Download)
If you haven't come across Jonas before, or his band The Glade, then you are in for a treat... Have a taste of his style and music then buy his CD All The Time In The World and you wont be disappointed!

All the Time in the World
All the Time in the World
Price: 23.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous!, 13 May 2014
You might have to listen to this album a couple of times to get into it, but once you do you will find a treasure trove! Interesting, meaningful, original and moving lyrics, great but unusual melodies... self-penned songs which will stick in your head, in a good way. I really recommend this... I can't stop playing it!

The Night Circus (Vintage Magic)
The Night Circus (Vintage Magic)
Price: 3.67

1.0 out of 5 stars A marmite sort of book, 24 Sep 2013
This a book you will either love, or hate. I'm afraid I hated it - although people in my book club absolutely loved it. It has a mysterious, fantasy, fairy-tale feel to it which I didn't engage with it. Friends found the characters enchanting, I found them cyphers and two-dimensional.
It is set in a fantastical circus and follows the story of several of the performers so if that sort of thing appeals I hope you will enjoy it s much as my friends did.

The Siege
The Siege
by Helen Dunmore
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Siege (Paperback)
Many of my friends really enjoy Helen Dunmore, and this book in particular. I confess that I didn't like it, I didn't engage with the narrative or the characters, and I find the use of the present tense infuriating (I share Philip PUllman's view on it!) It isn't a dreadful book, I don't hate it, but I shall be glad if I can find someone to give it to who will enjoy it.

Rivers of London (PC Peter Grant Book 1)
Rivers of London (PC Peter Grant Book 1)
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Rivers of London... gripping (not dripping) stuff!, 24 Sep 2013
Rivers of London is not at all my normal read and I was attracted by the title because I am very interested in 'lost' or hidden rivers. It is not like any other book I have read... except maybe Peter Straub 'Shadowland' which is a favourite of mine.

Rivers of London is not exactly a police procedural, although the main characters are London policemen, it is not exactly a fairy story, although there is plenty of magic, it is not exactly a horror story although some of it is truly horrid... I can't tell you what genre it fits.

A friend had read it and had said it was gripping, and gripping it is; I was pulled into it from the first page and am enjoying every page subsequent to that one. I have not quite finished it, but know tat when I do I have other books in the same series to read... hurrah!

Daybreak
Daybreak
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Daybreak - Viktor Arnar Ingólfsson, 1 Jun 2013
This review is from: Daybreak (Kindle Edition)
You know what it's like when you read the next book by an author you like very much, there is always that little shiver of excitement at the good read to come... and another little shiver of anxiety in case the new book isn't as good as the ones you've read before.

I've had disappointments like that with Reg Hill, whose books about the Yorkshire detectives Pascoe and Dalziel I enjoyed very much, each one better than the previous then suddenly - bam! There was one which I not only didn't enjoy but I didn't think was as good! Luckily the ones which came later seemed to be back on the form I loved... although towards the end of the series my interest tailed away. Ditto with Graham Hurley and his Joe Farraday series; I haven't read the latest Jimmy Perez novel by Ann Cleeves, so I am hopeful I will enjoy it more than the previous one.
So... I have just finished reading Daybreak by Viktor Arnar Ingólfsson, having been utterly hooked by The Flatey Enigma and House of Evidence. Ingólfsson is an Icelandic writer and I am a great fan... so daybreak... did I enjoy it? Was I gripped? Did I close the book with a great sigh of satisfaction? YES I DID!

I won't spoil your enjoyment by telling you much about it except to say that unlike the other two I mentioned, it is set in the present, and although there were mysteries, puzzles and murder in the other two, they were not what I would describe as a traditional police procedural... which Daybreak is. The theme is hunting, and it starts with a crime where a stalker is stalked, becomes prey rather than hunter. The story follows the police investigation with many twists and turns, strong and interesting characters, wonderful descriptions of the settings which do not distract from the narrative but set it into the rugged scenery of Iceland. Once again I was so absorbed in the book, I couldn't stop reading it, I had to know the answer, I had to know who would be a victim, if anyone was, on the edge of my seat because I was so engaged with the characters I really cared whether they escaped and survived, or whether...

A really excellent book... I'm only sorry that there are no more by him translated into English! Oh, and by the way, another excellent translation by Andrew Cauthery and Björg Árnadóttir!

The Snow Child
The Snow Child
Price: 5.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard work, 10 May 2013
This review is from: The Snow Child (Kindle Edition)
I think this is a love-it or not book; I didn't love it although it was very well-written and tells an extraordinary story... I just didn't want to continue reading it by the time I was halfway through.

House of Evidence
House of Evidence
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 10 May 2013
This review is from: House of Evidence (Kindle Edition)
This is a most satisfying and enjoyable book! It is a tremendously good read and will keep you in suspense right to the end, with a surprise on the very last page. An eccentric man is found shot dead in the house he has lived in all his life and which he has turned into a museum to his family. He is alone and there is no sign of a weapon... the typical start of a crime novel, but this is not a typical novel. It is set i Iceland and the truth behind what happened and why lies in the victim's father's diaries which chart his attempts to bring railways to Iceland.
This book is a real page-turner, but is also informative and interesting about a variety of different themes, including the war and Iceland becoming a republic. I thoroughly recommend it, and other books by Ingólfsson

To the Lighthouse
To the Lighthouse
Price: 0.77

1.0 out of 5 stars I struggled to get there, 10 May 2013
This review is from: To the Lighthouse (Kindle Edition)
I first read this book many years ago and I didn't enjoy it; as it is a modern classic I approached it to read again with hope that I would understand and appreciate it. I didn't; I didn't like Woolf's style, I didn't engage or even like the characters, and I struggled to finish it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3