Profile for velden2003 > Reviews

Mind Over Back Pain
Mind Over Back Pain
by John E. Sarno

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for chronic back pain sufferers, 12 Sep 2002
This review is from: Mind Over Back Pain (Paperback)
After herniating a disc (confirmed on an MRI), I spent some six months in agony, consulting specialist after specialist. I saw everyone from the most expensive Orthopedic Surgeons to Chiropractors, Kinesologists, Physiotherpists...you name it...they all told me to "be careful", and each gave me widely differing reasons why my back pain was not getting better, and how I could solve it. Nothing helped. Then I bought this book. It is very simple and pointed out that it was the fear of reinjury that was preventing me from getting better. This fear kept me from exercise and movement, which was the only blood-circulation inducing method for allowing the body to heal itself. At first I didn't buy it, but then decided to follow his advice anyway, basically challenging my fears of reinjury, and starting to excercise again. And now, wonders of the world behold, I am 95% back to my old self. My disc will always be vulnerable to future injury, however, I am now back to doing everything I used to love, rollerblading, running, everything. Forget about all those so-called sports that are bad for your back....it is all in your mind and the ridiculous advice of so-called professionals. I even go rowing and windsurfing now, both of which involve lots of leaning forward and pulling.
After reading the book, it took about 2 months for me to break through most of my mental barriers, and then the pain all but dissapeared. Each time I felt a reoccurence, I reminded myself this was being caused by stress and fear, and no longer allowed this fear to dominate my life. Fear causes stress and stress causes muscle tension. When your back muscles are tense, it doesn not allow blood to get near the spinal area, the only way for the body to heal itself. Try this approach. It works. I even went mountain climbing and white water rafting recently. Don't believe those so-called experts who council nonsense about proper postures and so called exercises, I was only 26, yet moved about with the stiffness of a 60 year old. Not only that, but my life was like that of a sixty year old, afraid to do anything, afraid to even have sex (which wasn'tr exactly helping my relationship)....the only way to go back to a normal life is to start doing sports again, ofcourse start slowly because otherwise the shock can once again set off a fear-induced spasm...but as you do more and more exercise and nothing bad happens, you will start to see that this Doctor is right. Good luck from someone who used to pop muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories like they were smarties...

The Passion of Ayn Rand: A Biography
The Passion of Ayn Rand: A Biography
by Barbara Branden

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST-READ FOR CONFUSED AYN RAND ADMIRERS, 19 May 2002
When I first read the Fountainhead, it affected my life like a bombshell. I recognized myself in the character of Peter Keating, and shuddered. I had been selling myself for money, prestige, for the admiration of other people. I re-read the book four times over a period of 9 months - and then found the courage to quit my job. The next year, I ambitiously worked to become Howard Roark, and grew increasingly despondent in my inability to achieve a state of unemotional living, which is what he implied. I began to realize that there were shortcomings in Ayn philosophy of the perfect man, but given the powerful arguments in her books (including Atlas Shrugged), I struggled to identify the errors.
The Passion of Ayn Rand is a case study in an attempt to live life according to Objectivism, as Ayn tried. Not only did Ayn fail to live up to many of her own philosophies, but she failed utterly to trully live life to its fullest. Bitter, isolated and without children, her life path is not one that I would like to follow. Lest the strong Ayn Rand believer reading this review is tempted to dismiss these observations, it should be pointed out that Barbara Branden was an admirer of Ayn Rand, and therefore did not unduly skew facts to Ayn's disfavor.
In summary, this book makes clear that Ayn did not take her own philosophy "to not fake reality in any manner" to heart. Ayn married a man who in no way resembled any of her versions of the ideal man - yet to her death prominently announced to the world that he was her greatest hero. Ayn is a great writer, and her theory that man should aspire to their best is excellent. But her theory of Objectivism is not a way to live life, as the failure of her life clearly shows.