Profile for melly > Reviews

Content by melly

melly (UK)

Raising Happy Children: What Every Child Needs Their Parents to Know - From 0 to 11 Years
by Jan Parker
Price: 18.41

5.0 out of 5 stars your second child?, 20 April 2007
Like the reviewer before, this book was very important to me when I had my first child. I've just bought their second book, Raising Happy Brothers and Sisters, as I've now got two sons. Thought I'd mention it as it doesn't seem to be listed on this page. It won the Independent's parenting book award and I can see why. Full of important + helpful stuff about supporting siblings from before the second baby's born to adolescence. Highly recommended.

Raising Happy Brothers and Sisters: Helping Our Children Enjoy Life Together, from Birth Onwards
by Jan Parker And Jan Stimpson
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars have we read the same book?!!, 17 April 2007
isn't it weird how people can read the same book and have totally different experiences? I didn't find this book negative AT ALL. On the contrary, I found it focused on so much more than fighting between brothers and sisters. Yes it helped me sort out my kids squabbling and understand my role in that, but it also helped me see all the warmth and caring in their relationship and build on that too. I've also turned around my relationship with my own sister, and it was reading this book and understanding more of what's happened between us since childhood that set me on that path. Maybe the previous reviewer didn't like the book's anti-smacking stance? Well stopping smacking was an important turning point in my relationship with my children - and they behave better now!