Profile for Mr. M. K. Egan > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. K. Egan

Mr. M. K. Egan

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Civil Litigation 2010/2011 (CLP Legal Practice Guides)
Civil Litigation 2010/2011 (CLP Legal Practice Guides)
by Kevin Browne

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 25 April 2011
I'm currently a full time Legal Practice Course student at BPP Law School and purchased this guide after finding a copy of it in the library very useful. Civil Litigation is the only topic I have found difficult to get to grips with. My tutor explained that many students struggle with it initially but it usually sinks in after the first few classes.

This book helped me to see the overall picture of litigation and it began to make more sense. I think the reason I struggled initially is because litigation was broken down in to its constituent parts and by focusing on them, I didn't see the overall picture therefore it wasn't making much sense.

I also found the book useful for its appendixes which include templates of key documents and flow diagrams which were very beneficial for some of my class preparation. Although I haven't received my result for Civil Litigation yet, I personally feel it was the exam I performed strongest in which is testament to this book because it was the only subject that troubled me.

The Power Of Positive Thinking
The Power Of Positive Thinking
by Norman Vincent Peale

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me to re-discover my faith, 8 Feb. 2011
I bought this book for three reasons. The first reason is because it featured in '50 self-help classics' by Tom Butler-Bowdon and having read many self-help books which all emphasise the importance of positive thinking, I was interested in reading one of the most famous and best-selling books on the topic.

The second reason is because I watched a documentary on the billionaire Donald Trump and discovered that Norman Vincent Peale was actually his preacher in New York!

The final reason which persuaded me to finally buy the book is when I watched another documentary, a BBC one, called 'the American Dream.' A priest gave an interview for the documentary explaining how the principles in the book had inspired him to achieve an olympic medal, I think it was for pole vaulting, but I cannot remember for sure!

In terms of the positive thinking aspects of the book, I did not really learn anything that was of any significant difference from what I had already learnt from other self-help books. The one way in which the book did help me however was by helping me to re-discover my faith.

The author of the book was a preacher and he often cites bible passages which he recommends that people memorise, passages such as: 'I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me' and 'according to your faith be it unto you.' I am usually very sceptical and reluctant to try out exercises such as these which are proposed in self-help books (which I suppose defeats the purpose of reading them!) but I gave it a shot and it has really helped me.

I use to go to church regularly but limited my worship to the church service. It wasn't until I read this book that I realised faith could be applied on a daily basis and to anything. I now use some of those recommended verses to empower my thinking and it has helped me not only in my studies but in my physical exercise too. I have definitely noticed an increase in performance and I feel less stressed. The book actually inspired me to buy a copy of the bible again after I gave my last one away. I had never really thought of the bible as a self-help book before but that's exactly what it is and there are some really great lessons and verses in there which can benefit anyone, regardless of their beliefs.

If you don't believe in God then this book probably isn't for you due to the heavy religious content but some people prefer to think of it as a 'power of the universe' or 'flow'. Either way positive thinking is a sound concept. Gandhi said 'if you can change your thoughts, you can change the world.' I use to be very negative and pessimistic but I have managed to re-condition my mind to thinking more optimistically through reading books like this and it has definitely changed my life for the better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2011 1:28 AM BST

Bruce Lee - How Bruce Lee Changed the World - Special Edition DVD Containing Extended Bonus Interviews
Dvd ~ Steve Webb

5.0 out of 5 stars How Bruce Lee changed my world, 21 Dec. 2010
Growing up I had heard of Bruce Lee but I never knew anything about him nor had I watched any of his films. I purchased 'enter the dragon' this year after Geoff Thompson (an influential martial artist) mentioned how Bruce Lee's films had inspired him, and I instantly became a fan. What I enjoyed more than the film however were the special features on the dvd which included documentaries on Bruce Lee, training footage and an interview with Bruce Lee.

This led to me working my way through Bruce Lee's films: 'way of the dragon' (which inludes a fight scene voted one of the best ever in martial arts history), 'the big boss' and 'fist of fury' which are all excellent. There is also 'game of death' which I haven't yet watched however this was made posthumously.

I then purchased this dvd which is an excellent documentary about an hour and a half long. It includes interviews with people who knew Bruce Lee personally as well as those he has inspired; and there are also further interviews in the special features of the dvd. The documentary itself was actually on Sky television a while ago, I think it was on the History Channel but I watched it on Anytime TV. If you have seen a recent documentary on Bruce Lee then this is probably the one that you have watched.

I already knew that Bruce Lee had revolutionised martial arts and film making but I was unaware of his influences in other areas such as music, philosophy, advertising and even break dancing. Even after his death he continues to inspire people around the world, crossing culturual boundaries and I think the words on his grave sum it up: 'your inspiration continues to guide us toward our personal liberation.'

It's incredible to think how much he achieved in his 32 years of living and it's just pure inspiration to watch him. Not only was he physically incredible in terms of his training and being able to do feats such as one arm push ups with his thumb and index finger; he was an extremely intelligent man who was university educated and had a personal library containing hundreds of books. Bruce Lee excelled in many areas including fencing and dancing and one interviewee on the dvd said he was so fast that he could hit you 4 times before you could even react. Bruce Lee was a pioneer who was using certain training methods and equipment 30 years before they were mainstream.

I've recently purchased the 'ultimate Bruce Lee collection' on dvd and the more I learn about the man and the more I watch him, the more it inspires me; he has influenced my physical training and my desire to learn more.

If you don't know much about Bruce Lee, this documentary will be an excellent introduction. If you're already a fan, then it's an excellent addition to your collection. Every time I need some inspiration, I'm going to watch this dvd and remind myself of what one man achieved in 32 years and what a phenomenal impact he had on the world even after he died.

The Richest Man in Babylon
The Richest Man in Babylon
by George S. Clason

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I was taught this in school, 28 Nov. 2010
I am the type of person who gets his wages paid in to his bank account and then the following day, they are all gone, and I wonder why I never have any money!

My financial literacy dervies completely from this book. There is a new updated version of this book however I had no difficulty reading this version despite some of the language being archaic.

The book teaches many principles on managing money through the telling of stories/parables. Not only is the advice excellent but the stories are really interesting too.

One of the main themes of the book is that 'a part of all you earn is yours to keep.' This essentially means saving and as a general rule of thumb it recommends using 70% of your income for living expenses, 20% to pay debts and 10% to save. It sounds blindingly obvious but it's sound advice which I have spent a lifetime neglecting to use, spending all my money straight away on consumable items that don't provide any sort of return for my investment.

If you are already financially literate then I doubt you will learn anything new from this book but nevertheless it is still a great read. If like me, you never seem to have any money in the bank account, then this book will be a huge wake up call and will help you to realise the errors of your ways.

As soon as I start full time work next year following completion of a post-graduate course, I intend to start using the principles the book has taught me straight away.

The National 3 Peaks Walk: Including Information on the 4th Peak Slieve Donard Northern Ireland
by Brian Gordon Smailes

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't leave home without it!, 28 Nov. 2010
I purchased this guide with 'The National 3 Peaks: Taking Up the Challenge' by Steve Williams a week before attempting the three peaks with a friend. Both guides pretty much cover the same ground and I would recommend getting both (which can be read in a single day); but if you would rather get one over the other, this guide is straight to the point and covers the essential information you need to know. The Steve Williams guide covers the same information but also goes in to detail about how he planned and successfully completed the challenge with a friend.

We followed the advice in the guides and climbed the mountains in the order of Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Mount Snowdon however we never climbed them at the recommended times which was our main downfall. We successfully climbed Ben Nevis and Scafell Pike but were faced with climbing Mount Snowdon in the dark instead of Scafell Pike. Despite having previously climbed Snowdon in daylight and being familiar with the mountain, we struggled to navigate it in the dark and turned back after getting lost. Scafell is probably the easiest to navigate out of the three so I would recommend doing that during the night.

I took the advice in the guides to purchase a head torch which I hadn't previously considered and it was useful however I found my Maglite torch to be more useful. Maglite's can be expensive but they are very powerful and durable torches. Whilst the guides recommended getting hydration sacks, I never purchased one, and from experience, I would advise others to use them as I had to keep stopping on the moutains to get water out of my bag. This probably only killed a few minutes here and there but when you're racing against the clock, it all adds up.

From experience I would also recommend investing in a decent pair of mountain gloves, I used woolen gloves which got soaking wet in the rain (and it rained a lot!) and my mate used leather gloves which he had difficulty putting on after his hands had already froze. Waterproofs are essential, the last thing you want to be when cold and tired and physically exhausted, is wet as well.

For those intending to use sat navs, the post codes for Snowdon and Ben Nevis can easily be found with a Google search however it took me quite a while to trace the post code for Scafell Pike so here it is for your convenience: CA20 1EX (that is actually for the Wasdale Inn but you can find the mountain easily from there.) Don't rely too heavily on the sat nav as there was a road closure when we attempted the challenge and the sat nav sent us all over the place.

If you follow the advice given in the guides, you can't go far wrong. Good luck!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2013 7:58 AM BST

The National 3 Peaks: Taking Up the Challenge
The National 3 Peaks: Taking Up the Challenge
by Steve Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars A great guide, 13 Nov. 2010
I bought this guide and 'The national three peaks walk' by Brian Gordon Smailes a week before attempting the three peaks challenge with a friend. Both guides are excellent and there isn't largely much difference between them however I would say this guide is the more detailed of the two. Both guides can be read in a single day and they have useful diagrams/pictures which me and my friend solely used to navigate the mountains. It's advisable to use proper maps however.

I particularly found the equipment list useful (me and my friend purchased head lamps which we hadn't previously considered until reading the guides) and just the general tips on completing the challenge.

We took the advice of the guides to climb the mountains in the order of Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Mount Snowdon. We had previously climbed Mount Snowdon but had never climbed Ben Nevis or Scafell Pike.

We successfully climbed Ben Nevis and Scafell Pike and we made it to Mount Snowdon however we only had a couple of hours left until the expiry of the 24 hour period, after problems with a road closure and our sat nav sending us all over the place. Whilst we did the mountains in the order recommended in the guides, we failed to do them at the recommended times therefore we were faced with climbing Mount Snowdon in the dark rather than Scafell Pike.

Despite having previously climbed Mount Snowdon, we were unable to navigate it in the dark and turned back after getting lost. Even without the navigation problems, it is unlikely we would have climbed the mountain before the expiry of the 24 hour period.

The best advice I can give is to follow the guides and do Scafell Pike in the dark! It's probably the easiest to navigate out of the 3 mountains and I would recommend a practice run in the dark if possible, before attempting the 3 peaks challenge. Another tip I would give from experience is to get a hydration sack (it is listed in the guides under equipment list.) I got dehydrated very quickly on the mountains as I wasn't use to climbing, so I was stopping regularly to get water out of my bag which wouldn't be a probem if you had quick access from a hydration sack.

I would also recommend investing in a decent pair of mountain gloves. I used the standard woolen gloves which got soaking wet in the inclement weather and my friend had difficulty getting his leather gloves on after his hands had already froze. Waterproofs are also essential!

In general, just follow the advice in the guides and you can't go far wrong!

Rocky: The Undisputed Collection [DVD]
Rocky: The Undisputed Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sylvester Stallone
Offered by Direct Entertainment Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration in a box, 1 Sept. 2010
I bought this box set impulsively whilst shopping for other dvds. I had always found the original 'Rocky' to be an inspiring film but I couldn't recall the quality of the other films and assumed that like most film franchises (Robocop for example), it would start off brilliantly and then rapidly decline in quality with every subsequent film.

Having watched all Rocky films back-to-back one weekend, the consistency in the quality of the films is pretty strong. I enjoyed Rocky 1 and 2 with the fights with Apollo Creed, Rocky 3 with Mr T and Rocky 4 with Ivan, the russian. Rocky 5 was the only film I found to be a bit on the poor side but it wasn't a bad film. 'Rocky Balboa', the most recent film, is probably the one I found the most inspiring.

As someone who does alot of physical training, it's really motivational watching the scenes where Rocky is in training, especially with the Rocky soundtrack which is just unforgettable. It's a great box set and at a respectable price too.

Enter The Dragon (Special Edition) [DVD]
Enter The Dragon (Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Lee
Offered by vicky's media 4 u

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price just for the special features, 1 Sept. 2010
I was familiar with Bruce Lee as an icon and had heard that he had made a significant impact in martial arts but I never really knew much about him. I purchased this film to become acquainted with the legend and it's brilliant value for money.

The film itself is good but I actually enjoyed the special features more. There are numerous documentaries on the two discs which cover the making of 'enter the dragon', Bruce Lee in his own words and footage of Bruce working out alongside commentary from family and friends.

As you will discover for yourself, the guy was absolutely amazing and it's a tragedy that he died at such a young age. Not only did he have incredible physical strength and martial arts ability, he was also very intelligent and read widely. His personal library consists of hundreds of books and he went to university, which I was completely unaware of. The talent that the man possessed is awe-inspiring and he has definitely inspired me to try and live a more productive life.

It's very rare that I take the time to watch the special features on dvds as I prefer to just watch the films but the knowledge and inspiration you will garner from the features on this dvd, is priceless. The first thought that came to my mind after watching both discs was 'I cannot believe this only cost me about £4.'

The Palgrave Student Planner 2010-2011 (Palgrave Study Skills)
The Palgrave Student Planner 2010-2011 (Palgrave Study Skills)
by Dr Stella Cottrell
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought every year without fail, 11 Aug. 2010
I have just purchased my 2011-2012 edition of the Palgrave Student Planner; which has become something of a ritual for me since I started university in 2005.

I can't say I have ever been excited about buying a planner until I saw the Palgrave one advertised in a student magazine. It was the design of the planner which initially attracted me to it and the designs change each year.

The planner was a real life line at university as it allowed me to keep on top of my assignment deadlines and exam dates. There is enough room to make notes for each day for anything you may have planned whether that be classes, birthdays or doctors appointments.

A 'tip of the week' is published on each page and there is all sorts of useful information compiled within the pages, much of which I never use if I'm honest but it may benefit someone.

Despite no longer being a student I still swear by this planner for organising my life and I'll continue using it for as long as it's published.

One of my class mates at law school decided to buy one after seeing me pull mine from my bag and a work colleague also complimented it recently. It looks good, it's a life saver if you have a memory like mine and it's the best on the market in my view.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2011 7:22 PM BST

Wanted [DVD]
Wanted [DVD]
Dvd ~ Angelina Jolie
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars 'He's the man!', 14 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Wanted [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great action film which I also find has an inspiring message.

The film is about Wesley, a guy whose life is pretty ordinary and pathetic: his boss bullies him, his best friend is sleeping with his girlfriend and he constantly has panic attacks.

He then gets taken under the wing of Fox (Angelina Jolie) who trains him to become an assassin in the 'fraternity', a group of assassins led by Morgan Freeman; so Wesley can avenge his father's death.

The action scenes are completely absurd but hugely entertaining (if most action films were realistic, they would be pretty boring, so I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing).

Through his assassin training, Wesley learns how to cope with the adrenaline that compounds his panic attacks and he takes control of his life again, gaining self-respect and confidence in the process.

The film is swarming with great quotes and one liners and I find the ending really inspiring. If you like films like 'Hitman' then you should enjoy 'Wanted.'

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7