Profile for Will > Reviews

Brother HL-2250DN Compact Network Mono Laser Printer with Auto Duplex
Brother HL-2250DN Compact Network Mono Laser Printer with Auto Duplex
Offered by Technology Geek's

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, 22 Feb 2012
I bought this printer after carefully looking at reviews for similar laser printers. For a network ready printer with a print speed of over 20 pages per minute and with an auto duplexer, there was nothing else that came close in the price range.

Installation of the printer was very simple. Unlike other reviewers, I had no problem setting it up on the network. In fact it was as simple as connecting the network cable to my router and installing the driver software on my laptop. The software proceeded to find the printer, and a few minutes later I was printing fine. I have added the printer on two Windows 7 laptops and a Windows XP PC, and all are able to print over the network with no problems. There are also Linux and Mac drivers on the Brother website, although I have not tried these. Just to be very clear, this printer only supports wired networks as it does not have built in wifi. However you could, for instance, connect it to a powerline network using the appropriate powerline product.

As others have noted, the printer is fairly noisy when printing, although not particularly louder than other laser printers I have used, and certainly not something that I find to be a problem. When printing, the printer uses up to around 500W of power, but after a few minutes it goes to sleep. In sleep mode, it uses less than 1W of power (0.6W according to my power meter) and is completely silent. As soon as someone prints over the network, it automatically wakes up from sleep mode and begins printing.

The "starter" toner cartridge that the printer is supplied with has enough toner for 700 sheets according to the manual (I can't verify this as mine hasn't run out yet). There are two replacement cartridges available - TN 2210 has enough toner for 1,200 sheets and TN 2220 has enough for 2,600 sheets. The latter high yield cartridge is available online for around £50, so cartridges are not the cheapest of any laser printer, but also far from the most expensive. There is a separate drum which apparently has to be changed after around 12,000 pages and costs about £60 online. As with nearly all printers, it is not supplied with a cable, so you will need to buy either a USB or LAN cable, depending on how you intend to use it.

Finally, it's worth noting that at the time of writing there is a free three year warranty promotion on Brother's website, which is valid until the end of March 2012. It is worth checking the latest promotions on the Brother website to see what promotions are available and to obtain the promotion code you will need when registering the product.

All in all, I am very happy with this printer, which was a bargain for the price.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2012 9:51 PM BST

Belkin Dual USB Car Charger
Belkin Dual USB Car Charger
Offered by EraDigital

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, 9 Aug 2010
I am using this in my car to power my sat nav (TomTom Go 550 Live) and digital radio (Pure Highway) at the same time. It works fine without any problems, doesn't get too warm and looks very neat in the 12V socket. One of the two USB ports can supply up to 1000mA whereas the other supplies just the standard 500mA, but both of my devices are happy in either.

I would recommend to anyone who needs to power multiple in car devices that use USB connections.

Linksys WUSB11 Wireless-B USB Network Adapter 2.4GHz 802.11b (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't even think about it with Windows XP, 24 Sep 2005
I had four of these devices and have tried them on Windows 98SE, ME, 2000 and XP. In the three older operating systems, the product uses the supplied Linksys program to connect to the network and this works brilliantly. Reception is really excellent and the connection never drops. However, when installed on Windows XP, it is a totally different story. I have tried it on two seperate XP machines now and the problem is the same. Despite the reception always being excellent, the connection drops every few minutes for a few seconds or more, which is a minor annoyance for a while. However, when you realise the latest drivers and SP2 don't fix the problem, you soon decide that it's worth purchasing a different product. So in summary,on Windows 98SE, ME or 2000, go for it and it will be great, but on Windows XP just don't.

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 Switch
Offered by NETWORK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb., 24 Sep 2005
I have two of these now operating in separate locations and I can unequivocally say they are brilliant. To the best of my knowledge, the modem works with every ADSL sercice currently available in this country (even AOL - which lists this particular device as one of its select few devices with support from their customer services). Furthermore, Netgear have just released a FREE firmware upgrade (basically a download) which allows it to be used with ADSL2, the new faster broadband which will be coming to a telephone exchange near you in the next few years. Therefore, it is very futureproof. As far as the wireless network connection is concerned, I have been running it for just under a year with no problem at all. I have wireless network adaptors made by Asus, Linksys, D-link and others and they all connect quite happily to this (as you would expect as it's an industry standard). Set-up is also very simple (you set it up by connecting to the device from a web browser like Firefox or Internet Explorer), and for the most part it auto-configures itself. Basically I really would say look no further as this is the best of the best.

Wi-Fi 54Mbps 802.11g PCI card adapter
Wi-Fi 54Mbps 802.11g PCI card adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value - and does the job!, 23 Sep 2005
I bought this not expecting too much to be honest, as cheap, unbranded wireless network products rarely work well. I was most surprised, however, with the ease with which I was able to install and set this up. I opened up the PC case and slotted the card in, fired up the computer and the new hardware was autodetected (I run Windows XP SP2). I then installed the drivers from the CD and was ready to connect to the wireless network. And it all worked perfectly first time! I bought this to replace a Linksys USB wireless network adaptor which frequently dropped the connection. Although the reception with the supplied aerial with this device is not amazing (gets good/very good reception as opposed to excellent with the linksys), the connection has stayed running without fail at 54mbps. Needless to say I was extrememly pleased :-). Of course, I would not recommend a PCI wifi card for anyone unfamiliar with installing computer components in their case.

Canon PIXMA iP3000 Colour Bubblejet Printer
Canon PIXMA iP3000 Colour Bubblejet Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!, 23 Nov 2004
I felt compelled to review this printer because it is, quite simply, the best one I have ever owned. The Canon printer is so refreshing after using an Epson for 2 years.
The best bit about this printer is how many features it has: it can print duplexed, on CDs, has 2 paper feeds, has a quiet 'night mode' and will print borderless to name just a few. It also has a number of other nice touches like how it holds the next sheet in the printer after printing one with lots of pictures whilst 'waiting for previous page to dry'. I have never seen many of these features before in a printer for this price.
The print quality is actually very good too and the photos printed on the five sheets of photo paper bundled with the printer look amazing and vivid.
Overall, I would thoroughly recommend this printer. Quite simply there are no others that even compare in its price range. I would encourage any Epson users to take a chance and try buying a Canon - you won't be disappointed.
A few useful facts about this printer:
- like all new printers it is NOT bundled with a USB cable (there is no parallel interface on the IP3000, get the IP4000 if you require this)
- it takes four cartridges:
BLACK - Canon BCI-3eBK