Profile for alowe49 > Reviews

Content by alowe49

alowe49

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Octone IEM Pro In-Ear Monitor Earphones - Deep Bass Edition Professional Headphones for Performers, Stage, Band, Musical, Sports and Action - Eco Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect, 13 Aug. 2012
I am happy with the Octone earphones, they come with a semi-rigid case that takes my I pod Classic and the earphones when not in use.
Once the right size tip was fitted they feel comfortable and secure.
I found the sound quality to be very good with better bass extension than I expected. They deliver an open, clear sound that suits the music I listen to - Lisbee Stainton, Joan Armatrading, Vienna Teng and Joni Mitchell have been used for testing.
The treble suffers from some sibilance on female voice, cymbals etc, but setting `Treble Reducer' equalization on the I pod cured it without introducing any other problems.
Both volume and outside noise isolation are adequate (I spend 2.5 hrs a day going to and from work on the bus).
I have a problem getting used to the colour code for left and right, red is left, the opposite of what I am used to.
For budget earphones Octone deliver great value and sound but may not be the best choice for Heavy Metal fans!

Dreaming Through The Noise
Dreaming Through The Noise

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird and Wonderful, 6 July 2012
Bought this on a whim, but when I first played it I thought I had wasted my money. It took a couple of plays to sink in - this may be a little weird but so good. Miss Tang's almost whispered lyrics benefit from being played loud, and in the dark with your eyes shut you can almost feel her breath on your neck. You get a mix of styles from semi-classical to country, some I am unable to categorize, and all of them have clever lyrics, accomplished backing and good production values. I look forward to buying more of her work.

Braun Series 3 370 Electric Rechargeable Male Foil Shaver
Braun Series 3 370 Electric Rechargeable Male Foil Shaver
Offered by sotel-electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth, 6 July 2012
Have had several Braun shavers over the years, this is the best yet. Little vibration in use, a good close shave and holds charge well. The only negative point - no foil protector as standard, as it has a full case so I can live without one.

Konig Neck Camera Camcorder Tripod
Konig Neck Camera Camcorder Tripod

4.0 out of 5 stars Convenient Konig, 18 Mar. 2012
This is a simple and useful little accessory, providing stability with convenience. Minipods don't give great results with bridge super-zoom cameras and tripods are great for static situations. This falls between the two, you get reasonable stability for long zoom work with the advantage of mobility. So far I have used this to get some photo's of birds around the garden and reasonable shots of Jupiter and Venus at 120x digital zoom with no light trails. I am planning to add a rubber foot to the base so I can use it as a monopod on walls and fences. This is one accessory that will see a lot of use this Summer, and cost under £8 delivered.

Breakfast In America
Breakfast In America

5.0 out of 5 stars The 'Daddy' of British Rock, 17 Mar. 2012
This was another digital update of an album from my collection. I was first drawn to Supertramp after listening to the album "Crime of the Century" at my local record shop in 1979. I bought their new albums as soon as they were released, "Breakfast in America" was more pop-oriented than previous releases and spawned 4 singles, and the album contains six more songs that are equally as good. This is a collection of songs from a group at their peak and the album stands the test of time very well.

Rumours
Rumours
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars An All Time Classic, 16 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Rumours (Audio CD)
Another album replacement, this has to be one of the top albums ever produced. Infectious pop with superb harmonies and production quality. The album produced several top 10 singles and the "The Chain" which has been used in adverts and the BBC's F1 intro. I have been listening to this album for 35 years and it still sounds fresh and amazing.

Fog On The Tyne
Fog On The Tyne

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia - not what it used to be, 13 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Fog On The Tyne (MP3 Download)
I bought this for 2 tracks, Fog on the Tyne and Meet me on the Corner (and it was cheap). This was the second album released by Lindisfarne, got to No1 back in 1972. The rest of the songs are an eclectic mix of folk,rock,pop and country - not what I expected. This album may have been recorded 40 years ago but the songs remain fresh, and easy to listen to. It seems that nostalgia has played a rather nice trick on me.

Live At Blues Alley
Live At Blues Alley

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Music, 13 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Live At Blues Alley (MP3 Download)
This is only the second Eva Cassidy album I have bought, "Live at Blues Alley", the title says it all. I like Eva's voice and arrangements but I am not a blues fan, so I bought this album not knowing how I would react. However any album that causes me to break-out in goosebumps had to be worth buying. Fields of Gold, Tall Trees in Georgia, What a Wonderful World and Autumn Leaves showcase this talented and almost overlooked singer. The balance between vocals and instruments is good for a live recording. There are no songs that disappoint, so this was one gamble that payed off.

Nero Enerons2 Nero 10 Essential Suite 2 OEM
Nero Enerons2 Nero 10 Essential Suite 2 OEM

1.0 out of 5 stars Save Time and Money, 5 Feb. 2012
Please be aware this is not worth your time or effort, I have nothing good to say about the OEM version. Anything I tried to do with this software was met with an upgrade page. Worse still, to uninstall takes hours as each of the 8 parts has to be removed separately.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2012 3:34 PM BST

Who Are You
Who Are You

5.0 out of 5 stars A Musical Treat, 12 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Who Are You (Audio CD)
First bought in 1978, it cost me £3.79. This CD version cost £2.99 and has 5 extra tracks. If you only know their music from C.S.I. this is a good album to ease you into the band. Intelligent, complex and loud this is quality music. I still get goose bumps listening to this album as Keith Moon died shortly after it was released.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5