Profile for alowe49 > Reviews

Content by alowe49

alowe49

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
AsRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard (Socket 1155, Intel Z77, Up to 32GB DDR3, ATX, 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, Supports NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFireX, Premium Gold Caps)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, 5 May 2013
Bought this as I was upgrading to an Intel i7 2700K and from past experience I have been happy with AsRock motherboards, it was also the cheapest board I found with the Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec.
The Good - price, UEFI bios screen, power regulation and audio better than my old CD player.
The Bad - Confusing and difficult to access SATA sockets.
The Ugly - not the sort of board you will want to light up your case for.

To be fair I would buy this motherboard again, it's just so frustrating that the SATA ports are pointing sideways from a board that is likely to be fitted in a budget midi tower and unlike my last board they are not easy to understand.
Old AsRock board - Primary, Secondary, Third and Fourth - easy to understand and sockets point up from the board.
New AsRock board - Sata 3_0, 3_1, 3_A0 and 3_A1 plus the Sata 2 sockets 2_2, 2_3, 2_4, and 2_5 and just to confuse matters the handbook description starts with the Sata 2 sockets (page 36 in the online manual).
If you are confident at building your own PC, have a full tower case or just like a challenge this is a well specified motherboard with reasonable over-clocking facilities, great audio at a bargain price.

Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5 GHz Quad Core Processor (Socket 1155, 8MB L3 Cache, HyperThreading Technology, Retail)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot to Trot, 5 May 2013
I paid a fraction over £200 for this boxed retail processor, money well spent!
My last system was based around an old E4200 dual core over-clocked to 2.4Ghz, test renders, audio processing and benchmarks were done before installing the new CPU, memory and motherboard. This new CPU runs quite hot with the stock cooling so I under-clocked it down to 3.2Ghz to repeat the same tests, my new system is now 6 to 10 times faster.
Yesterday I fitted an Asus Axe square cooler, and reset the clock to 3.5Ghz; here are the temperatures in Celsius;
Idle(after 30 min's) 100% (1hr at full load)
Stock 3.2Ghz 36 91
Asus Axe 3.5Ghz 29 60

So my advise, 3rd generation CPU's will run cooler but either cost more or not perform as well depending on the model, but if you can get an i7 2700K at a decent price - buy it. Whatever you buy, get the biggest/best CPU cooler you can afford.

Crusader
Crusader

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Crusader (Audio CD)
Yet another LP replacement, this 1979 album gave us the culmination of all his past releases. Power and pomp mixed with love and tenderness, intelligent songs and quality recording. Between a couple of low power songs you get six sentimental songs the menacing "Devils Eye" and the epic title track of almost 9 minutes add a couple of short 'reprise' tracks and you have a well balanced and enjoyable 44 minutes.

Eastern Wind
Eastern Wind

5.0 out of 5 stars All Change, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Eastern Wind (Audio CD)
Yet another LP replacement, in the 70's and 80's until 94 I bought all his albums as they were released, and non disappointed me. This album was a little different to his earlier releases, while the songs are still short stories, the content is more modern. Songs like "The Record Company Bash" "Wall of Silence" "Shadows and Lights" "Flying Home" and "Tourist Attraction" are quality offerings unlike his previous songs. "Eastern Wind" and "Sailor" was more in the style I was used to and "Tonight" and "Some Things Never Change" give us the romantic songs he became best know for.
This was his first release of the 80's and for me only bettered by his 1984 album "Man on the Line".

Show Some Emotion
Show Some Emotion
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars An old friend, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Show Some Emotion (Audio CD)
Yet another LP replacement, in the 70's and 80's I bought all her albums as they were released, and non disappointed me. This album has been on my frequent playlist for a very long time, "Show Some Emotion" and "Willow" are the most familiar songs to most non fans, but the high quality of the remaining songs showcase Ms Armatrading's ability to write and perform in a variety of styles.

Silence
Silence
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Silence (Audio CD)
Browsing through the bargain CD's I came across this album, I had not heard of Tara MacLean, but it sounded good. Well I was wrong, this sounds AMAZING!
Her voice is beautiful, the lyrics are well written and accompaniment is good.
What makes this rise to the top of my playlist is the sound, a clear recording of instruments and voice give an illusion of the space and ambiance that is missing from many modern recordings. The songs are varied and enjoyable however some people may feel short-changed at having alternate versions of two songs but for me both are highlights on this album. Best songs - "Red"; dark and complicated, painting a vivid picture in words, and I love the haunting saxophone. The instrumental version of "Holy Tears" with strings and guitar that melt away worries of the day. Not an album to prepare you for a night on the town, but one to chill-out to after a hard day, a worthy addition to your collection.

HyperX 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit - Black
HyperX 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars No Drama, 5 May 2013
I bought the cheapest branded 1600mhz ddr3 available. Plugged it in and it works, that is what I want, I had Kingston HyperX ddr2 in my last build and that also worked, no problems no dramas. Most of the work done on the computer is 3d rendering, which is cpu and memory intensive but I haven't had a single crash in 3 weeks of use. This memory may not suite the gamers and overclockers, but if you are after cheap, reliable, workhorse memory, this fits the bill.

An Diolaim
An Diolaim
Offered by Giant Entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought on a Whim, 20 Dec. 2012
This review is from: An Diolaim (Audio CD)
I bought 'Magical Ring' and 'Banba' and thought I would give the early works a try, however this album is not for me. I prefer the more refined version of "Coinleach Ghlas an Fhómhair" on 'Magical Ring'.

Suzanne Vega
Suzanne Vega
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Stands the test of time, 14 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Suzanne Vega (Audio CD)
I bought this album soon after hearing "Marlene On The Wall" on the radio; I was not disappointed then or now. It has been said that good music will stand the test of time, for me this album is proof of that. Easy and enjoyable to listen to with enough interest to draw you back time after time. If you are unfamiliar with this album, do yourself a favour, get acquainted

Me, Myself And I [Australian Import]
Me, Myself And I [Australian Import]
Offered by rwl-123

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Lucky, 14 Dec. 2012
The album I received was not the Australian import but a double CD with Walk Under Ladders, and both were on my to buy list. Having been a fan since the early 70's, I bought both of the LP's as soon as they were released. I rate the music I hear by goose bumps and smiles, this superb collection of songs delivers both a plenty, and hasn't lost any of it's appeal over the years. Well worth a place in anyone’s music collection.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5