Profile for R. Sturrock > Reviews

Content by R. Sturrock

R. Sturrock "Rogue Angel" (Bradford, England)

The Master [DVD]
The Master [DVD]
Dvd ~ Philip Seymour Hoffman
Offered by The Happy Zombie
Price: 6.25

1.0 out of 5 stars 8640 seconds of mind numbing tedium that you will never get back., 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Master [DVD] (DVD)
One hundred and forty four long, long, long, minutes which I will never be able to get back. This film is full of pointless and unlikeable characters that babble on about precisely nothing for the entire movie. After 20 minutes of watching, I was bored out of my brain. After an hour and twenty minutes of watching this mind numbing tedium I was pulling my hair out. The only reason I stayed till the end of the movie is because I was with a friend and they were my ride home.

It's impossible to accidentally give any kind of spoiler about 'The Master' because nothing happens in it. Nothing. Nothing at all. The characters have no depth and are in exactly the same place emotionally at the end of the movie that they were at the start of it. Easily the most frustrating movie I've ever been to see, to the point where, on the way out I wanted to demand my money back. Whilst in the cinema to keep myself awake I was able to count all of the polystyrene roof tiles on the ceiling of Cineworld, Bradford's screen 6. There's 842. Count them yourself if ever you go see a film as mind numbingly boring as this one.

So, to sum up my review on this movie........I really didn't like it.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist - Standard Edition (Xbox 360)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist - Standard Edition (Xbox 360)
Price: 9.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Longer single player campaign please.............., 19 Mar 2014
Pretty good entry into the Splinter Cell franchise. Listening to the new guy playing Sam Fisher is a bit like watching Roger Moore playing James Bond after Sean Connery left. Roger Moore was ok but you just knew that Sean Connery would kick his ass in a fight. Same thing with Splinter Cell. The Sam Fisher in Conviction would beat seven bells out of this new guy. Apart from this, the game is good, if a little short.

I would have much preferred a deniable ops type set up a la 'Conviction instead of the Spies vs Mercs online play. I have two reasons for this. Firstly, the Spies vs Mercs takes up a lot of disc space and it therefore drastically shortens the single player campaign. Second reason is that actually playing the spies vs mercs online play is an exercise in futility. All gameplay goes out of the window while you wander around an unfamiliar map for a while before getting killed by someone who's spent their entire life playing on computer games instead of doing something productive with themselves. If I hear one more brain dead American kid screaming obscenities at me while he slowly slits my throat with Sam Fishers new knife gadget, I'm going to cancel my Xbox live membership and join a chess club or something.

So you will have gathered that the online experience is not for me. This game would probably have received 5 stars from me if the Spies vs Mercs were removed and more consideration given to single players who just like a longer main campaign. Even the deniable ops where you could co-operatively play would have been good. Despite this, I do like the game and the Splinter Cell franchise is still head and shoulders above most others for strategic gameplay.

Man of Steel [DVD]
Man of Steel [DVD]
Dvd ~ Henry Cavill
Price: 6.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Superman SMASH!, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Man of Steel [DVD] (DVD)
Brain dead movie in which Superman is made more 'up to date' by dumbing him down about as far as it is possible to take him. In the seventies Superman used to be an intelligent bloke who put the lives of innocents above all else. Christopher Reeves' Superman had class. This new fella seems to think that the best way to solve a problem is to fly into it really fast. No thought whatsoever into any of his actions. He participates willingly in the widespread destruction of the buildings of Metropolis, not to mention the massive body count that must have occurred during his brainless battles. The writers of this travesty might as well have painted him green and have him shout "Superman smash" every time he got angry. I'd rather watch the famously bad Superman IV 'The quest for peace' again than this rubbish. At least the writers of Superman IV were remotely familiar with the character of Superman and what he stands for. Something the writers of 'Man of Steel' seem to be sadly lacking. It's a sad day when the writers think that the best way to make a Superman movie interesting is to fill it full of special effects of explosions and buildings being destroyed. Welcome to the dumbed down 21st century Superman.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2014 1:57 PM BST