Profile for Daveyvegas > Reviews

Content by Daveyvegas

Daveyvegas (Bray, Co. Wicklow Ireland)

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey
by E L James

1.0 out of 5 stars What a let down!, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades of Grey (Paperback)
Just finished the first book and have no desire to read the other two. Have no problem with the subject matter but have a huge problem with the quality of the writing (especially with the repetitive descriptions) and unbelievable, badly written characters. I spent the whole novel feeling a big smuck for buying something just because of the hype and therefore have added to the hype. I had read the twilight books and while I wouldn't rave about them could see the appeal especially to teenage girls. I am baffled as to the success of this one!

Losing Willy (Picture Puffin)
Losing Willy (Picture Puffin)
by Mahood

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book - such a shame it is out of print!, 21 April 2009
This book was the favourite in my mum's playgroup for 3 years in a row. It is one of my favourite kids books - beautiful illustrations, fantastic story. I bought it second hand for my own kids who love it too.

The Alphabet Room
The Alphabet Room
by Sara Pinto

5.0 out of 5 stars A firm Favourite, 3 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Alphabet Room (Hardcover)
What a treasure of a book! One of the few books that my 4 year old returns to again and again. Beautiful witty illustrations - a nice alternative to the multitude of other alphabet books out there.

The Time it Took Tom
The Time it Took Tom
by Nick Sharratt

5.0 out of 5 stars "Oh, Bum!!!!!", 3 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Time it Took Tom (Paperback)
A fantastic book which has become my 4 years old favourite. Bright clear illustrations, lots to look at, great use of repetition plus introduces concept of passing time. My sons favourite bit is the time it took mum to calm down (lots of mild expletives from mum that crack my little boy up each time!).

Potty Training in One Week (Making parenting easier)
Potty Training in One Week (Making parenting easier)
by Gina Ford

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for a model child - if not, save your money!, 6 Mar 2004
I found this book too perscriptive - fine if it worked but I found that my daughter "fell off the wagon" on day 1 and there was little advice as to what to do if things didn't go according to Gina's plan. It has some good ideas (like the star chart, guidelines to when they are ready for training) but I feel that it can put too much pressure on you as a parent. She suggests on day 1 to sit your child on the potty every 15 mins for 5 to 10 minutes at a go - you would need a very placid child to go along with this! My daughter just about got the idea at 31 months but it was still hit and miss and it was just before her third birthday when the penny dropped (or her bladder was ready!) and we cracked it. If you need advice - use a search engine - there is plenty of good advice for free on the net so save your money!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2009 12:26 PM BST