Profile for Dr. P. M. Wilson > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Wynne Diaries
The Wynne Diaries

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Wynne Diaries (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book which consists of edited extracts from the diary of Betsey Fremantle, née Wynne, augmented by extracts from the diary of her sister and letters from her husband. The information from these sources is fascinating and is an invaluable addition to our knowledge of life in England and Europe from 1789 to 1820.

Yes, the fact that this is a diary means that of necessity some entries are repetitive, but unlike novels this gives descriptions of real life at the time, virtually as it happened, and it is therefore full of wonderful human touches. Equally the account of her return to England as the wife of the captain of a British man of war adds reality to all that we remember from reading CS Forester.

I look forward eagerly to the complete edited edition which I understand is in preparation.

MacuShield (90 Capsules)
MacuShield (90 Capsules)

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good., 8 July 2014
Taken to try to stave off a family history of macular degeneration. So far, so good but I suspect much more experience is needed before the benefit is finally proven. The tablets are fine with no obvious side effects, but make up your own mind on the research and benefits.

Snugg iPad Air (iPad 5) Case in Black Leather - Flip Cover and Stand with Automatic Wake / Sleep, Elastic Hand Strap & Soft Premium Nubuck Fibre Interior to Protect Apple iPad Air (iPad 5) - Includes Lifetime Guarantee
Offered by TheSnugg

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well., 8 July 2014
My wife finds this iPad case is perfectly suited to her needs. Cases seem to come in all shapes sizes and colours these days, but this is the kind she wanted and it is fine.

Catastrophe (Enhanced Edition): Europe Goes to War 1914
Catastrophe (Enhanced Edition): Europe Goes to War 1914

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating book., 8 July 2014
An excellent read which sorts out the complexities of the run up to the outbreak of war and its first years. As in all history there are different interpretations, but the author puts his case well and writes with authority and clarity.

Richbrook Twist Off Back Titanium Car Tax Disc Holder
Richbrook Twist Off Back Titanium Car Tax Disc Holder
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 July 2014
I followed the instructions to the letter and it has held firmly onto the windscreen of my car without difficulty. It looks good and it is very easy to change the tax disc when the need arises.

Mozart: Requiem
Mozart: Requiem

5.0 out of 5 stars A great performance., 8 July 2014
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed this Requiem and was dismayed at the vitriolic criticism posted by one reviewer. Yes, it is different to the earlier recordings of which I have several, but I would agree entirely with the crit posted in Gramophone. A superb interpretation which ranks with the finest.

Synology DS1813+ DiskStation 8 Bay Desktop NAS
Synology DS1813+ DiskStation 8 Bay Desktop NAS
Offered by Kikatek

5.0 out of 5 stars One highly satisfied owner., 8 July 2014
I bought this as a present for use at home by my son in law who is an IT professional. I had bought the two bay version earlier for myself and he seemed impressed.

He is now absolutely delighted with this device which sits quietly in a cupboard in a corner, delivering all kinds of data to his home computers with great speed. I don't know enough to comment further, but if he is happy it must be good!

Panasonic Silver 5 Blade Wet/ Dry Foil Shaver
Panasonic Silver 5 Blade Wet/ Dry Foil Shaver

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet., 8 July 2014
This is an extremely good electric shaver, the third time in my life I have changed from wet shaving. The first such device, a present when I was 21, seemed to stimulate beard growth rather than shave me so it did not last long. Twenty five years later I tried a Philips rotary head shaver which was much better but still left some uncut hair on my neck, resulting in an eventual return to wet shaving.

Finally I bought this one and it is certainly the best I have had. No, it does not shave quite as close as a wet shave, but it is almost as good and it is possible if you take your time to get a smooth shave which lasts all day. It is not quick; I find a good shave takes me four minutes but there is no mess and I'm finally free of the razor blade manufacturers frequent product degradation.

Thoroughly recommended, although it may be cheaper to buy the model without the automatic cleaning system.

Faithfull TKS12L Star (Torx ) Key Set (12 Pieces)
Faithfull TKS12L Star (Torx ) Key Set (12 Pieces)

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and good quality., 8 July 2014
An excellent set which actually is more comprehensive than I need but at least I shall not need any more in future! They keep together well despite the odd way they are held together and the keys themselves are of very good quality. The set arrived promptly and in excellent condition.

LaCie Porsche Design 4TB USB 3.0 Desktop Drive
LaCie Porsche Design 4TB USB 3.0 Desktop Drive
Offered by ecargo

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value and works well., 8 July 2014
Attractive appearance, smaller than I expected and very quiet in use. I use it mainly to clone my Mac, and my only criticism of the drive is that it is a little slow when used as the boot drive although it does the job perfectly. I suppose if I want speed I should buy a Thunderbolt drive, but this is fine for the moment.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4