Profile for Aurele art textiles > Reviews

Content by Aurele art tex...

Aurele art textiles

Tapestry Weaving: Design and Technique
Tapestry Weaving: Design and Technique
by Joanne Soroka

5.0 out of 5 stars Tapestry Weaving, The Way Forward, 25 May 2012
I have found this book, inspirational, a brilliant reference guide and the layout of the book is excellent. As an Arts and Crafts tutor, I would recommend this book for students of all levels, learning tapestry weaving. Today many students are introduced to tapestry weaving by day workshops and may come from a textile related background of say knitting or fashion design. They aim to learn the rudaments in a short time, so it's vital they have good related texts they can refere to.
The author has chosen to show a diverse range of textile artists. Well known designer Kaffe Fassett was featured, the students were familiar with his wonderfull use of colour in his knitting design, so they could easily relate to his work and were facinated by his woven design.
This book enriches the student's learning experience. Although sadly, we have lost some of the traditional tapestry courses. I feel that when we have authors who can compile books with such sensitivity and depth of knowledge, tapestry weaving will still evolve and people will still want to explore this skill and art form.
I have a copy of this book to show my students when I run workshops, it's also on my suggested reading list.