Profile for Ms. L. C. Rose > Reviews

Content by Ms. L. C. Rose

Ms. L. C. Rose "fbi_agent_danascully" (Nottingham, UK)

The Guards
The Guards
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars A great short story., 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Guards (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this one!

Often I have trouble with the pace of short stories - either being too slow or too fast. This one was great, read the whole thing straight through as it clipped along very nicely holding my attention. Amount of content was good too (another avoided pitfall) and the author avoided compromising the story with unnecessary tangents. Plot was great - it's quite unusual for me to read anything straight through so it must have been good! Also enjoyed the first person perspective. That's not something I've ever personally been able to master but the author has really used it well to enhance the feel of the story.

Full marks from me.

15 Seconds
15 Seconds
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping!!, 16 Aug 2012
This review is from: 15 Seconds (Kindle Edition)
Pure and simply, I couldn't put this book down!

Downloaded it onto my Kindle as the book of the month for a local book club I'm part of and was a little skeptical at first - didn't seem like the sort of stuff I'd normally read, but I was very pleased I did!

The story is fast-paced and scarily realistic - a normal man drawn in to a large web of murder and revenge. The plot twists and turns and from an initial encounter with a Police Officer, the main character finds his life falling apart and himself on the run from the Law - even getting a bit Harrison Ford at one point!

I enjoyed the easy style and fitted perfectly with my daily commute. The only niggles I would have, not just of this book, but of Andrew Gross, is that his chapters are often very short - sometimes no more than a handful of pages and the typeface is quite large. It does let it down slightly as it could be masking a shorter story by filling the book better.

This hasn't deterred me however and I've already bought 4 more Andrew Gross books and am enjoying them all!!

PestShield Slugs Be Gone - 1.65L - Provides An Instant & Effective Barrier To Stop Slugs & Snails

3.0 out of 5 stars Slugs unfortunately stayed around!, 16 Aug 2012
Bought this as it was recommended on the back of a packet of peas that I planted a few weeks ago as an organic slug barrier.

Didn't want to kill the slugs, merely deter them, so this seemed ideal!

Using over half the box, I built an almost inch high barrier around my pea seedlings, and area of no more than half a metre square.

Disappointingly, upon looking a morning or two later, all my poor seedlings had been munched, even though the barrier appeared to be intact. The box recommends that you reapply the grit after gardening or heavy rain, but you'd use so many boxes - especially if you had a bigger area to protect than I did!

The box also recommends piling up the grit around the stems of the plants to be protected, so I used the last of the product to do this. Guess what? My plants still got attacked!

The product itself is just a grit-like substance that is in a bag in the box and you simply pour it on, so for ease of use, it's great. It just unfortunately didn't do what it said on the box.

Noodle Bible (Cooking Mini Bibles)
Noodle Bible (Cooking Mini Bibles)
by Anon

5.0 out of 5 stars Nom Nom Nom!, 25 Jun 2012
Great little book - full of tasty, but more importantly EASY receipes!

Picked this little book up one quiet evening whilst working my bar job to have a flick through to keep me occupied, but soon realised what a great little find it was and ordered one the next day!

Lovely, easy to follow instructions and a great selection of vegetarian receipes too. A definite for any cook's shelf!

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy)
The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars At first I was not convinced...., 15 Jun 2012
Being a 29 year old usual reader of everything from American classics to Iain Banks, I was dubious to say the least at this piece of the now commonly termed "tween" fiction. I had lumped it in te same basket at the Twilight books. I'm more of a True Blood watcher than a Twilight watcher :)

However, I was very surprised by this book. I had noticed the hype surrounding the feature film, but was curious after seeing it noted as being adapted from the "worldwide bestselling book" - I'd never heard of Suzane Collins or the Hunger Games until I downloaded the first sample chapter.

Needless to say, I downloaded the entire first book after reading the sample, and then downloaded the remaining two books within 24 hours! I devoured all three in less than a week. I suppose that is partly the books' appeal - they are easy to read and you get through the pages quickly.

The main protagonist, Katniss Everdeen is a gutsy, fighting girl who is plucked from obscurity by The Hunger Games - a "Battle Royale" type reality show after volunteering to take her sister's place.
What follows is her struggle to survive in an alien environment, beginning from her being primed ready for fame and moving into the actual battle arena itself, where she must fight to the death with the other "tributes". The story flows nicely and each chapter is just the right length so as not to get stagnant. The characters are believable and you really begin to feel sympathy towards the main players at the world into which they have been flung. There is also a vague underlying love story played out in the books - between Katniss, her hunting partner/best friend at home Gale and Peeta whom she is partnered with from the same home district as herself. The team that has been assigned to the pair to encourage public support and secure sponsorship, concoct a ploy to portray Katniss and Peeta as a couple, but can Katniss overcome her feelings for Gale back home? You'll ust have to read and find out!

As I say, I was initially prepared to dump this along with the "tweeny" Twilight franchise, prefering a more grown up story with a bit more "bite", rather than a thin story, lack of plot, wooden characters and a teenage romance underpinnng the story that barely gets past holding hands. However, Suzanne Collins, you have done a good thing wih these books! The story is refreshing in a sea of romantic fiction (all those pastel covered novels in the supermarkets) and stands out above all the "celeb" tell-alls.

Right, I'm off to watch the film to see if it lives up to the book!

The Queen's English: And How to Use It
The Queen's English: And How to Use It
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute little book!, 11 May 2012
Looking to put a few items onto my Kindle, I came across this book in the Education section. As an aspiring English teacher, and reading the reviews, it seemed like a great little find! I'm only about 20 pages in and have not been disappointed! Witty and well written (not surprisingly!), the book offers an insight into "proper" english and confirms that it's not all clipped vowels and "my husband and I" English, but the language that we speak and write is in fact correct for the most part, but amusingly brings to light those instances where people get it so very wrong. Entertaining and engaging, I look forward to finishing the rest of the book!

SD Tabletwear - New 2011 Kindle Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display Pro Book Case Cover - Purple - Includes Screen Protector
Offered by FoneM8store
Price: 8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb product - does what it says on the tin!, 8 May 2012
I received a smart Kindle 4 for Christmas and had been meaning to get a nice case for it since then (my poor kindle was being stored in its box and transported around in the same - even when it went into my handbag on the train!), so finally I recenly managed to dedicate an hour trawling round the internet looking at all the different styles, colours, skins, sleeves and stockists.

However, right towards the end of my search, I stumbled upon this case! I was looking for a case, more so than just a skin, as having a 75 mile commute, everything just gets thrown into my handbag and whatever I chose to cuddle my kindle needed to be able to withstand some welly!

This case does that perfectly!

It's a lovely rich purple colour and is made from a sturdy pleather-type material. The case iself is well made - often a problem of more budget cases is hasty craftmanship leading to loose stitching, thin materials and generally a lower standard of item. This case however appears well made, with a sturdy magnetic metal fitting to seal it closed. Again, these often come out from their fastenings in the fabric where they have been affixed, but this clasp is firmly set in there! The inside is a suede-like finish in the same purple colouring as the outer and offers a good amount of bump protection for my kindle. There is a small flap on the left hand sleeve which is ony really suitable for perhaps a train ticket or small items of paper, but a useful additional nonetheless. The straps to hold your kindle in place were reassuringly hard to get over the corners, but with a little elbow crease, over they went and my kindle is now firmly cuddled in place by this case.

The case has since withstood its first week of being lobbed into my handbag and has stood up perfectly - there's not a mark on the outer, and my kindle is still safely stored within. The screen protector supplied adds an extra layer of protection for additional peace of mind. The front flap has begun to soften slightly now after a bit of use, making it weasier to fold back on itself to enable you to read in a more comfortable style.

All in all, an excellent product, easily outshining some of the lesser, and in some cases, more expensive products on offer. A must buy for all Kindle mummies and daddies!

The Gargoyle
The Gargoyle
by Andrew Davidson
Price: 7.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Great First Novel!, 28 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Gargoyle (Paperback)
Picked this book up from The Book People when they visited work a while back and due to studies, haven't had the chance to pick it up.
Now that I have, however, I can't put it down!
At first I was a little thrown by the opening chapters, that mixed between his early life and the description of his injuries, but once you get over that mild confusion, this is a fantastic book!

Will definitely be recommending this to friends and colleagues - I had come on to Amazon not intending to write a rave review, but to look for other titles!

Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next)
Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next)
by Jasper Fforde
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost in a Good Book - I was!!, 25 May 2006
I got the first two books in the Thrsday Next series through a special deal from a mail-order book company and was soon hooked.

As I travel to work everyday on the bus for an hour or so, these books were the ideal read - not too heavy and just enough humour to pass the time. I finished the first two in about a week and went straight out and bought the other two in the series.

Lost in a good book is all about plucky Literary detective Thursday Next, her dodo Pickwick and the literary characters she meets whilst "book-jumping" a feat that only a select few "outlanders" (real, not fictional people) can do.

Thursday has to juggle her family life, her mother, her job, her book job in the literary world and everything else that life throws at her, and she does it all with a pinch of humour and a very readbale story. It was the sort of book that you just can't put down and want to keep reading......