Profile for A reader > Reviews

Robert Kennedy
Robert Kennedy
by THOMAS EVAN

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant bio, 22 April 2008
This review is from: Robert Kennedy (Paperback)
This biography is absolutely brilliant! The author's style keeps the reader engaged throughout, and you get a true balanced picture of RFK, who was a great hero to many. Thomas doesn't judge and allows the reader to draw their own conclusions. I've read many biographies in my time, and this is certainly one of the best.

If You Don't Know Me by Now: A Memoir of Love, Secrets and Lies in Wolverhampton
by Sathnam Sanghera

5.0 out of 5 stars The un-beaten generation, 10 Mar. 2008
This is the book that I've spent my whole life wishing someone would write. And Sathnam Sanghera has delivered the goods. If you're a second/third generation Sikh, this is compulsory reading. If you're a non-Sikh, this is also compulsory reading. The book is simply amazing, and even that is an under-sell. Thank you, Sathnam!

Ishq And Mushq
Ishq And Mushq
by Priya Basil

5.0 out of 5 stars So real, I thought I was reading about my entire family!!, 9 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Ishq And Mushq (Hardcover)
This book is simply excellent! I would recommend it to anyone, particularly to any first and second generation Sikh, who is interested in a great story with solid characters. The writing is pure class (I loved her use of metaphor!) and the plot keeps you guessing. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry and it will definitely make you sigh in exasperation, and roll your eyes a few times! At times, I felt like I was reading about my own family history. Scary feeling, but well worth the pennies.

A Fine Balance
A Fine Balance
by Rohinton Mistry

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and deserves its own categorisation!, 18 Jun. 2007
This review is from: A Fine Balance (Paperback)
I normally don't have the patience to read books that are 300+ pages, but with this one it was a genuine case of not being able to get enough of it. It's so good that it deserves its own special category on Amazon - something along the lines of "Brilliant reads that cannot be compared to any other book you've ever read". I'm not exaggerating; it's simply amazing and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good story with all the basic elements; plot, characters you can empathise with, drama, tragedy, romance, loss, philosophy and first class writing!

Song of the Cuckoo Bird
Song of the Cuckoo Bird
by Amulya Malladi

5.0 out of 5 stars An engrossing epic!, 8 May 2007
I have read all of Amulya Malladi's novels and this, by far, is the best. The story is gripping; the characters are believable and their relationships are fascinating. In short,it's a rollercoaster read of a brilliantly constructed tale of the lives of a group of so-called outcast women in southern India, from the 1960s-2000s. Definitely a recommended read for anyone who likes that sort of thing!