Profile for S. England > Reviews

Scythe Kaze Q Case Fan Black
Scythe Kaze Q Case Fan Black
Offered by AVIDES

5.0 out of 5 stars A great 3.5" fanbus, 24 May 2013
OK so when I brought this I actually wasn't paying attention and was expecting a 5.25" fanbus, so I was a little shocked when it arrived and was designed to fit in a 3.5" floppy bay. Luckily my new case had such a slot, and since I had no floppy drive to put into it this fanbus was fitted instead.

And I have to say it is a pretty nice piece of kit. It has no lights on it, so it doesn't draw attention to itself or distract you, and the knobs on it turn smoothly. I am currently running two Nexus 120mm fans off it with absolutely no problem at all.

The knobs on the front don't allow you to turn the fans fully off; I'm not sure what kind of voltage swing you get with the pots but I would guess somewhere between 7V and 12V since even with them turned all the way down, my fans keep spinning (and 7V is about the minimum that will drive a Nexus 120mm).

The fitting was easy, it came with enough screws and properly labeled cables and converters and the metal has a nice finish too. So from me there are no complaints what so ever. If you're looking for such a device, this one has no drawbacks that I can think of!

StarTech 6 feet 90 Degree Upward Angled Dual Link DVI-D Monitor Cable - M/M
StarTech 6 feet 90 Degree Upward Angled Dual Link DVI-D Monitor Cable - M/M

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a cable and it works, 23 May 2013
This is a nice right-angled DVI cable. Its right angle was at the right angle (omglol) so the cable went up towards the monitor rather than down towards the floor, and it screwed it easily and now I have a better picture quality than the VGA cable I was previously using.

My only slightly negative comment is that the right angled part sticks out more than I expected, so I can't get my PC against the back of my desk as much as I want. But apart from that, there's nothing to complain about.

BitFenix Merc Beta Midi Tower Chassis - Black
BitFenix Merc Beta Midi Tower Chassis - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth more than its price, 18 May 2013
This case cost me £33 and for that money I wasn't expecting much; I was very glad to be disappointed. Sure, there are better cases out there, but for them you are looking at at least two to three times the price, if not more. For the money I paid for this case, it is absolutely outstanding. It has a very nice finish, plenty of space for all my components, even an undocumented space for a 2.5" SSD on the bottom of the case under the drive bays.

I put an old ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo with a Core2Duo E8500 in it and it fit perfectly. It has enough space for like five 120mm fans, is easy to put your components in and looks good too. Four USB ports on the front is really handy, and the case is really nice to work in.

If you're looking for a budget case that can house your components then I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this case - its price:performance ratio is out of this world. Highly recommended.

iGadgitz Black Genuine Leather Pouch Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 & LG Google Nexus 4 E960 Android Smartphone Mobile Phone
Offered by iGadgitz

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pouch for the Nexus 4, 14 Dec 2012
This is a pretty nice pouch that fits my Nexus 4 well. It smells like leather, so I guess it is, and has nice stitching round the edges. There are no marking or logos on the pouch anywhere. The edges at the top of the pouch are cut away so you can pull your Nexus out easily, or you can pull on the strap which pops your phone out the top by an inch or so.

The inside of the pouch is covered with a felt-like material which polishes and cleans your phone when you insert or remove it. It was shipped to me with a foam placeholder inside so it kept its shape, and was wrapped in some foam too so it turned up in top condition.

I'd give it five stars if the pull-strap was a little lower which would let me pull the strap and remove the phone in one motion; as it is, it's a two-step job. But really, that's pathetic nit-picking and this pouch is pretty great. Just remember to remove the packet of silica gel from the bottom before you try and fit your phone in.

The Glencairn Official Canadian Whisky Glass x 1
The Glencairn Official Canadian Whisky Glass x 1
Offered by Wineware

4.0 out of 5 stars A real nice Whisky glass, 6 Oct 2012
I'm looking for a good Whisky glass. The problem is, I don't know exactly what I want in this glass. I want something that feels good in the hand, with the right thickness of glass, and the right weight in the base. So on a chance, I brought one of these glasses.

Unfortunately, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. It's a little too thin for my liking, and the base it a little too light. But it is a good glass, and it's currently the closest thing I've found to my perfect Whisky glass, so I'm using it right now.

It has a nice shape, and it feels comfortable in the hand. The shape helps you smell that whisky before your first taste, and the Canadian leaf logo on the bottom of it is nice too.

So to summarize this vague review: A nice crystal glass that holds liquid well and looks nice. It's not my perfect glass, but it's good. Also, Wineware were quick with their delivery, and the glass was very well wrapped and easily survived the mail system.

Lenovo Ideapad U410 14 inch Ultrabook - Ruby (Intel Core i5 3317U 1.7GHz, 6Gb RAM, 750Gb HDD + 32Gb SSD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Nvidia Graphics, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good all-round ultrapad., 2 July 2012
[ EDIT 1: Those people who have had problems with their wireless speed should read this comment here from the Lenovo forums:
-[...]]

I ordered my Lenovo U410 in Ruby Red on Wednesday evening and it arrived on Saturday morning; a great day to be given a new toy to play with!

The box contained the laptop, the PSU and a few instruction manuals and that's all. It felt rather sparse, but I'm not exactly sure what else I was expecting - maybe a little USB mouse or a T-Shirt or a USB data stick or something.

Anyway, after unboxing the U410 the first thing that struck me about it was its size - it's really nice. The 14" screen may only be 0.7" larger than the standard 13.3" screens, but I can really feel that little extra size on both the screen and the keyboard, and for me it's certainly worth it.

The second thing about its size is that it belies the pad's weight. Looking at the machine you feel it's pretty small and so it should be as light as a feather, but it's actually relatively heavy. But its weight is not excessive, and the U410's build quality has a really solid feel to it - holding the ultra-pad in one hand by the corner with the screen up doesn't make it creak or sag under its own weight.

Booting the laptop up for the first time, you are presented with the normal EULA's to agree to and then the usual Windows 7 configuration prompts which zipped past nice and quickly, and then you're into the OS itself.

The first thing I do with a new PC or laptop is to uninstall all the crapware that comes with it and fortunately for me the Lenovo U410 comes with very little unwanted nonsense.

McAfee Antivirus was the first thing to be removed (I have nothing against it, but I'm perfectly happy with the free Microsoft Security Essentials and some common sense). Then ooVoo (some video conferencing app) was uninstalled, followed by Microsoft Live Essentials, Microsoft Live Mesh ActiveX and Lenovo Smart Update. There could be a couple of other things that you may want to uninstall (a 90 day trial of Absolute Data Protect for example), but Lenovo should be commended for their relatively clean Windows 7 installation.

The machine itself has a 14" glossy widescreen display at 1366 x 768 which may not turn any heads, but is perfectly adequate and will help extend your battery life compared to higher-resolution screens. It comes with a generous 6 GB of RAM, a 750 GB mechanical HD augmented by a 32 GB SSD, and third generation Intel CPU technology - Ivy Bridge power! The 64-bit CPU is a dual-core hyper-thread enabled Intel Core i5 3317U which nominally runs at 1.7 GHz but can turbo up to 2.6 GHz when it needs to. The CPU comes with on-board Intel HD Graphics 4000, but the ultra-pad also has an nVidia GeForce 610M chip on it for when you need a bit more graphical oomph.

The keyboard is good for typing with responsive keys and a nice layout that aids speed and accuracy. The track pad is pretty big (which I like) and although the left and right buttons are part of the track pad, they act as physical buttons that click (which I also like). The pad is low friction which makes using it nice and easy, and its position is comfortable and it sits well in relation to the rest of the keyboard. However you can only press one button at a time - left or right - the track-pad's buttons won't let you press both at the same time (a slight annoyance for me because I use such unusual button presses for Firefox gestures). There is also no middle mouse button and I have found it is sometimes quite difficult to get track-pad gestures to be recognized properly.

I experienced good wireless speeds with my U410. My Virgin cable connection is 20 mbps, so around 2 MB/s, and wirelessly connected through my LinkSys E3000 using 802.11/n I was happily getting over 1 MB/s when downloading games from Steam on a (probably congested) Saturday afternoon. A slightly lame thing is that the on-board network card is only 10/100. Yep, that's right, no gigabit here! But really, I don't plan to have my U410 plugged into anything physical. It doesn't have an interface for a docking station, it's not designed to sit shackled to a desk with a network umbilical - this ultra-pad is made to travel!

The speakers on the U410 are also really good for their size. The volume can get surprisingly loud for such a small laptop, and although you shouldn't expect the bass to be rumbling like Krakatoa's erupting in your back garden, the speakers do a good job that you can't really complain about.

Of course the Lenovo U410 does not come with an optical drive, but in this day and age that shouldn't be much of an issue. Also, being an ultra-book there are no slots on the bottom of the machine, so you won't be upgrading your memory or HD or changing your battery without additional effort. (And to be honest I'm not even sure if any of these things are actually possible.)

Since my U410 is only a couple of days old for me, I have of course not tested everything. However, the facial recognition for logon worked fine after a simple setup and configuration procedure. Now I can log into my machine by staring into the 720p webcam and pulling the same gormless expression that I had on when I set my face-word.

The two USB 3 ports are very nice to have and look to the future (whilst being backwards compatible with the older USB standards), and you get an additional two USB 2 ports to give you a grand total of four.
The only display output on the machine is the full-sized HDMI port - you have no last-century VGA ports here, and no DVI or DP either. But the HDMI worked great with I plugged it into my TV and watched video content from my laptop.

The battery life seems pretty good too. I haven't specifically measured its life under a known load so it can be compared to other laptops, but I managed to watch a couple of 720p HD movies with a pleasing amount of power left over at the end.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase. I was looking for a good but relatively cheap laptop that was using today's technology and would give me value for money and last me some years into the future. I found the Lenovo U410 with a large and fast HD, more memory than average, USB 3 ports, Ivy Bridge processor and a solid build quality. This machine delivers the goodness I wanted, and I hope it will last me many years to come.

[ PS: If anyone has any questions they'd like answered about this machine please add a comment and if it's reasonable I'll do my best to give you an accurate answer. ]
Comment Comments (25) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 6:48 PM GMT

Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Value and performance collide!, 13 Jan 2012
I brought two sets of this 2x4GB memory for my new i5-2500k/Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN3/Prolimatech Megahalems build and it's been perfect for me. Like a previous reviewer CAS says, the BIOS by default sets the memory speed to 1333 and you have to manually bump it to 1600. But after doing this I've had absolutely no problems.

I have to be honest, and say that getting 16 GB was probably overkill, but in a year or three maybe I will be using this memory so I've saved myself having to source similar memory modules and having to install them at some point in the future. But it's nice to have 16 GB anyway :-)

Other memory sticks have heat-sinks on with sticky up bits and all kinds of needless bling. This memory is low profile so fits under my heat-sink's fan and delivers the stability and performance I've come to expect from Corsair.

Belkin F8T016NG Mini Bluetooth Adapter - Windows XP and earlier not Windows 7 or later
Offered by Branded and New

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, works great, no hassle, 15 Jan 2010
I brought a new Nokia phone recently and the only way to be able to manage it via bluetooth, so I needed to find a bluetooth adapter for my PC. After looking around I figured I'd try the belkin one since it was the only brand I recognised, and the Belkin USB2 card I brought last year was still working great.

The device is tiny and stuck in the back of my desktop PC it is secure and easily forgotten about, which is just what I wanted. Installation was easy, providing you read the instructions first. You have to start off the software installation WITHOUT the device being in the PC. Then during the installation you'll be prompted to insert the device, and that was that. Easy Peasy. Infact it took me longer to open the damn packaging than it did to install the drivers for this product.

The drivers I had to install from CD were labeled Belkin Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR USB Adapter. I checked their website first for a newer version, there was none to be had, so the CD version it was. The drivers create a new network location in your Network Connections list, and a blue bluetooth icon which appears in your systray for enabling and disabling and configuring the device.

Once I enabled the bluetooth on my phone the PC picked it up and recognised the device, and after entering a 6-digit number on my phone it is now paired with my PC. Using the Nokia PC Suite software I can now play around with stuff on my phone, update my contact lists much easier than using the phone, download photos I've taken, upload new ringtones, etc.

Overall I'm dead chuffed with this little device and am pleased it works so nicely. I haven't exactly put it through lots of tests (I'm only connecting to my phone, no advanced bluetooth stuff like running keyboard/mouse from it, streaming audio over it, connecting to a bluetooth printer, etc) but for my purposes it seems solid and so I would recommend it to others looking to add bluetooth functionality to their PC.

The Running Man [1987] [DVD] [1988]
The Running Man [1987] [DVD] [1988]
Dvd ~ Maria Conchita Alonso

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality DVD, 18 Jan 2009
The audio is only 2.0 (not 5.1 like the amazon description says), and not only is the transfer non-anamorphic, it's also interlaced. Yes, INTERLACED!

Midnight Run [DVD]
Midnight Run [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert De Niro

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film - non anamorphic transfer, 16 Jan 2009
This review is from: Midnight Run [DVD] (DVD)
A shame the transfer is non-anamorphic, and the audio streams are all 2.0. Apart from that, a great film and highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2