Profile for Andrew James > Reviews

Einhell TCS860L Mini Circular Saw
Offered by Big Red Toolbox
Price: 77.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Good saw, 8 Feb 2014
I purchased this saw as I'm putting new flooring in our house and wanted something to cut out the old flooring in situ. This little saw did a great job. Remember this is only a small saw, don't expect it to act like a large circular saw. I use a large circular saw for work like that. This saw is great when there are fiddly jobs to do. The depth control is good. You can cut floorboards without leaving a mark on the joists. I found it fairly powerful for its size. As long as you don't force it it will do a good job.

It's not perfect. Obviously the electric motor dictates the girth of the hand grip, which means that you can't switch it on and hold it using the same hand. It can also be a bit fiddly to use. However, for me it is an invaluable little piece of kit.

Chapelwood Jet Black Ultimate Seed Feeder (4 Port)
Chapelwood Jet Black Ultimate Seed Feeder (4 Port)
Offered by Daggsonlinecouk
Price: 10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars No coal tit problems, 8 Feb 2014
Due to the terrible weather recently I've been taking all my feeders apart on a regular basis to stop the seed from caking. This feeder is exceptionally easy to take apart for cleaning. I also have the green version of this one with 6 feeding stations. It is not nearly as good quality, but comes apart in the same fashion.I also have a Gardman 4 station feeder. It is more sturdily built but is a nightmare to take apart. It requires a screwdriver and an allen key and even then the top can't be removed from the feeder body. I would not recommend it

There is a problem with these feeders. The feeding stations clip onto the plastic tube of the feeder. To do this the tube has to be squeezed and so distorted. This black feeder is fine, but the green one appears to have a much flimsier plastic tube. This means that some of the feeding stations fit sloppily and water can run down the outside of the tube and in though the holes.

I would strongly recommend the feeding tray that screws on the bottom of this feeder as it will save a lot of wastage and also acts as a feeding platform for birds to feed from. The feeding stations on this feeder, like those on most feeders of this design, are too small for bullfinches who will instead settle on the tray to feed from spillage. I've noticed that a lot of chaffinches feed in this way too.

No Moon Tonight (Witness to War)
No Moon Tonight (Witness to War)
by Don Charlwood
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars very moving classic, 29 Jan 2014
This is one of the best aviation autobiographies I have yet to read. Don Charlwood was a navigator in 103 squadron in the winter of 1942 and his was the first crew in 103 to finish a tour of duty in a period of over 7 months. During that time he had to watch all those around him fail to return. This book brings home the true horrors that the crews of bomber command had to face, day in day out. This book isn't full of combat although there are some superb descriptions of raid. It focuses more on the humanity of war and the various characters around him. Reading this book helped to give me a better idea of how these men were able to cope with such terrible odds. This is a very moving book and one I would recommend to anyone.

The Jolly Rogers: The Story of Tom Blackburn and Navy Fighting Squadron Vf-17
The Jolly Rogers: The Story of Tom Blackburn and Navy Fighting Squadron Vf-17
by Tom Blackburn

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 29 Jan 2014
I've just finished No Moon Tonight by Don Charlwood, so this book had a lot to live up to. It was very readable and there was a lot of interesting information throughout. The author, commanding Navy Fighting Squadron VF-17 saw a lot of action flying over the Solomon and Bismark Islands. The squadron was very successful and we follow the action from training to combat and all the drama that comes with it. The book has a good balance of action and detail, with more and more combat as the book goes on. A good book and well worth a read

Modern Thermostatic Mixer Shower Set 1 Way Valve with Round 200mm Head SS108
Modern Thermostatic Mixer Shower Set 1 Way Valve with Round 200mm Head SS108
Offered by iBathUK
Price: 107.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 12 Jan 2014
I'm not a plumber, but I found the whole thing fairly straightforward to fit. The shower head gave me a few headaches when I came to fit it to the wall, but it works and looks great now. We're more than pleased with the product. Would definitely recommend it to anyone. I had to fiddle around to get the heat balance right on the bath taps, but these were pre-set in the factory and they were pretty much spot on. The taps turn smoothly and the shower head works great. No dribbling of any kind. Marvellous!

High Capacity Replacement Battery Kit for iPod Mini UK
High Capacity Replacement Battery Kit for iPod Mini UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't fit, 9 Jan 2014
I had a very early iPod Mini with a battery that wouldn't charge. I hadn't used it for a couple of years but decided to resurrect it with a new battery. I purchased this product and followed a good YouTube video to fit the battery. Everything was fine until I removed the old battery and tried to fit the new one. The old battery had a slight cut out for the hold button mechanism. This battery didn't and it also appeared to be a bit bigger. I shoehorned the new battery in as carefully as I could, but must have damaged something as said iPod is now deceased.

TMV2 Thermostatic Round Handled Basin Bath Mixer Wall Taps
TMV2 Thermostatic Round Handled Basin Bath Mixer Wall Taps
Offered by ERGONOMIC DESIGNS
Price: 169.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very well thought out., 9 Jan 2014
The engineering of these taps is excellent, it's just a shame they appear to have been designed by an engineer without any input from a bathroom fitter. Unlike the shower taps I bought from another supplier that simply clamped onto the stud wall, these have 2 tiny fittings which were pretty much useless. Even worse, the spout clamps to the chrome front plate, but there isn't enough thread to clamp it to the wall as well. Thus, the spout end of the plate had to be held to the wall with sealant, which is far from ideal. Also, if you wish to use flexible hoses you will need 3 male grommets as all the plumbing ports have female threads. It all works fine once it's on the wall, but I would never buy this particular item again. There are many such taps on the market that have been thought out much more thoroughly.

Chapelwood Seed Catching Tray And Hook
Chapelwood Seed Catching Tray And Hook
Offered by Your Garden Shop
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, 28 Dec 2013
I've got these under all of my Chapelwood seed feeders. I used to let the spillage from my feeders fall to the ground where the chaffinches hoovered it up. This is a much neater way of dealing with spillage. The birds can now feed from the tray instead. The bullfinches have always had problems with the cramped feeding stations on my feeders. Now they and the chaffinches can feed from the tray. I still feed on the ground, only now with a ground feeder. As long as you clean it regularly it's a great idea.

The Canterbury Tales (Penguin Classics)
The Canterbury Tales (Penguin Classics)
by Geoffrey Chaucer
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Get a more concise version, 28 Dec 2013
If you're reading this book because you have to, then hard luck, otherwise give it a miss. It bored the living daylights out of me. It's like one of those people that jabber on without getting to the point. It just goes on and on until it finally bores you numb. The only crumb of excitement was trying to find out what 's****en' meant. I gave up in the ned. Buy a shortened or more concise version and give yourself a break.

By Tank - D to VE Days
By Tank - D to VE Days
by Ken Tout

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best autobiographies you'll ever read, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: By Tank - D to VE Days (Hardcover)
Wow, what a book. I've read many aviation autobiographies, but never anything on tanks. What a revelation. This book is simply superb, and I'd put it up there with the best aviation autobiographies I've ever read.

The book starts with the trip across the channel and onto the beaches of Normandy. The author appears to have first gone into action near the end of the battle for the Bocage. He is at the spearhead of the breakout and then on to the horrors of Falais. The author gets injured here, but the story continues on through Holland, then on to the Battle of the Bulge. I thought the story of the crossing of the Rhine was one of the best bits of the book. I was a little disappointed when Ken got shipped home, as I thought the story would deteriorate in its graphic detail. I needn't have worried.

The writing style is a bit difficult at first, but when you get used to it, it gives the book a real sense of urgency and drama. I have a new respect for tank crews. The graphic descriptions in this book bring the whole thing alive to the horrors and fears they had to face on a day to day basis. Just finished this book and can't wait to lend it to a friend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14