Profile for S. Rose > Reviews

Content by S. Rose

S. Rose (Cambridgeshire, UK)

Agfaphoto AF5071PS 7 inch  Slimline Digital Photo Frame
Agfaphoto AF5071PS 7 inch Slimline Digital Photo Frame

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably okay, but hangs occasionally, 15 Aug. 2012
I have two of these digital photo frames. I bought one in January 2012 and the other in October 2010, so I've been using them for quite some time before writing this review.

I've never had any other digital photo frames, so I can't accurately compare with others on the market. However, overall, I've been happy with them.

The only disappointment I've had is that occasionally (or slightly more than 'occasionally'!), they get stuck at a particular, apparently random, photo, and the slideshow then stops, or it goes back to the Agfa start-up screen and stays there rather than continuing the slideshow. This has happened on both of the photo frames. I've tried using different USB sticks, different brands of USB sticks, ensuring that all the photos are the same format - JPEG rather than, for example TIFF - just in case that was causing a problem, I've ensured that no other files are on the USB stick just in case that was confusing things, and I've tried to see if any of my pictures are corrupt. All of my photos display with no problem at all in iPhoto on my MacBook. If the cause of the problem is indeed one or more of my photos, then I would hope that the software could cope with that and move on gracefully rather than hanging, but that hasn't been the case.

Also, sometimes the photo frame gets the orientation wrong and displays a photo sideways.

What I'd really like is a photo frame that offers the Ken Burns effect, but so far I've not been able to find one.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Part numbers!, 7 July 2012
At the time of writing this review, the foil advertised says it's compatible with the Braun 370, but when it arrived it was incompatible. The foil sizes don't match, and it looks completely different!

Whether this means that there are TWO types of Braun 370, I don't know. The 370 shaver I ordered this for is a travel type of shaver that takes AA batteries, and it's definitely Braun, and it definitely says Braun 370 on the shaver.

Product numbers that are not unique are probably a seller's nightmare, so I sympathise with the seller if this is the case.

Soul without Shame: A Guide to Liberating Yourself from the Judge within
Soul without Shame: A Guide to Liberating Yourself from the Judge within
by Byron Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars High hopes to begin with, but ..., 30 Dec. 2011
Given the excellent review ratings for this book, I had high hopes. Alas, I found myself agreeing with minty's review (25 Nov 2003). I'm familiar with much of the content in the book, either through self-development or from other sources, but that in itself isn't necessarily a problem. What I did find difficult was that the style of writing just didn't 'gel' with me. The best way I can elaborate is that in contrast I found the John Bradshaw books much easier to read, more useful, and for me those books resulted in life-changing experiences. (I only mention them because they appear as having been bought by people who bought Soul Without Shame, at the time of writing this review.)

To be fair, if I recall correctly, the author does point out that this isn't a book for light reading. However, like minty's review, I question whether this was truly because of the subject matter, or whether it was because of the writing style. Certainly, in some parts, it seemed to be the latter.

Aside from the above, in the edition of the book I have, which seems to be the first edition, 1999, I was surprised and distracted by the frequency of missing spaces between full stops and the beginnings of subsequent sentences. I realise that there are occasions when font spacing can make it appear as if there is no space when in fact there is, but that aside, it was clear in a number of cases that this was a common error, and one that I found distracting. (Sidenote: I don't go looking for such things, but am known for having sharp attention to detail, so these things tend to leap out at me.)

I'm glad others have found this book helpful, but it wasn't for me.

Canon PowerShot D10 Digital Camera (12.1 MP, 3.0x Optical Zoom) 2.5" LCD
Canon PowerShot D10 Digital Camera (12.1 MP, 3.0x Optical Zoom) 2.5" LCD
Offered by AOT (UK VAT registered)

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera but severely let down by reliability, 4 Sept. 2011
I agree with most of the other reviews. An excellent camera, but on 2 out of the 3 holidays I've used it for, the camera completely stopped working.

I've looked after the camera well, in accordance with the provided documentation for an underwater camera. If it weren't for the reliability factor, I would give it 5 stars, but because the reliability has rendered it utterly useless on parts of holidays that have been dedicated to the sole purpose of underwater photography (for example, the Red Sea, Hawaii, ...), although it may seem harsh, I'm giving it only one star. The excellent pictures it's capable of are useless if the camera cannot be relied upon to function correctly when needed. The contacts have been checked and cleaned, the seals have been checked to ensure that any parts they press on when closed are still working and have not broken (following some guidance I found on the Internet), and various other checks have been carried out.

The first time it stopped working was underwater, but no water seemed to have got in. The second time it stopped working, I'd been watching pictures on it in play mode the evening before, and in the morning I went to turn it on before leaving my hotel room and despite having 3 fully-charged batteries, it refused to turn on again, until a week later, with various interim attempts to get it to switch on.

So, in summary, a HUGE disappointment, even more so because I know what this camera is capable of if it weren't for the reliability factor.

Although the problem developed 4 months after purchase and was supposedly repaired then, the same fault has reoccurred and because it is now out of warranty, Canon won't repair it without a fee and Amazon have shed their responsibility. Not impressed. I think my next stop will be somewhere like John Lewis for reasons of ensuring a good warranty period and in the interests of finding a reliable retailer. Up until now, I'd thought Amazon were quite good, but this has been a huge let-down.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2012 12:41 AM BST

Healing the Gerson Way
Healing the Gerson Way
by GERSON

5.0 out of 5 stars I would not trade the knowledge gained from this book for all the money in the world!, 13 May 2009
This review is from: Healing the Gerson Way (Paperback)
When a book is this useful and valuable, it's hard to find words to describe it, or that do it justice. There are already many reviews of this book on the Amazon US site, www.amazon.com, so I won't repeat what is already there, other than to say the testimonials of those who have read it on that site undoubtedly speak for themselves. I found it very easy to read, hugely informative, backed up by scientific evidence that makes sense, and I think it is criminal that it is kept out of mainstream medicine, although it is easy to see why this occurs as it is a huge threat to the pharmaceutical companies.

I also highly recommend the DVDs, Dying to Have Known, The Gerson Miracle, and although I have not seen it yet, The Beautiful Truth is apparently also very good. There are trailers for these on the Internet if you do a Google search. They all relate directly to this book, and are all available from The Gerson Institute and other outlets.

This book makes some aspects of conventional medicine look like quackery, but it does not mean that this book is not based on sound medical expertise. It is, and this is evident in the content, the history of the Gerson Therapy - Nobel Prize and former Gerson patient Albert Schweitzer, M.D. quoted, "I see in Dr. Gerson one of the most eminent geniuses in the history of medicine" - and more recently, highly respected medical doctors around the world who are replicating the success of the Gerson Therapy in long-term studies. For example, Dr. Takaho Watayo, recently appointed to the post of Professor of Clinical Medicine at Chiba Medical School, in addition to being one of Japan's most prominent surgeons and Subdirector of the Ohtsuna Hospital in Tokyo.

A book by Beata Bishop called A Time to Heal is also a highly recommended book giving a personal account of this therapy, and has been translated into seven different languages at the time of writing this review.

I recommend reading the book for yourself, watching the DVDs, and then making up your own mind, but don't let anyone else make your mind up for you, and especially don't listen to so-called medical 'experts' who, in trying to back up their claims against this therapy, only show their complete ignorance of it! If you've read the book and familiarized yourself with this highly effective form of therapy, that has actually been curing people for many, many years - including people for whom mainstream conventional doctors have sent home to die - it's a lot easier to spot people who don't know the first thing about it who claim that they do. Please, if you're going to debunk this therapy, at least demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of it. It's surprising how many of its critics cannot do this! Oh, and also explain the many people who have been cured from so-called 'terminal' illness by it.

In conventional medicine, if someone has 'recovered' from cancer and has been in remission for several months, or a year, or two years, this is apparently 'cured', or 'in remission'. In contrast, as a result of the Gerson Therapy, you will find many case studies of people cured from cancer who have outlived it by twenty years, and more! Now that's what I call cured.

They do not claim to be able to cure everything and everyone, but the results sure are a hell of a lot better than things like chemotherapy, which does a hell of a lot of damage to an already sick body. (In a recent poll I read, 75% of doctors said they would not have chemotherapy themselves! Thankfully, there is an alternative - this book.)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2013 10:21 AM BST

Maurice Wilson: A Yorkshireman on Everest
Maurice Wilson: A Yorkshireman on Everest
by Ruth Hanson

4.0 out of 5 stars Brings a little-known piece of history alive, 17 Feb. 2009
This is a book that was definitely worth writing. It brought a piece of history to life that many would otherwise not have known about (and raised questions in my mind about who really made it to the summit of Everest first!).

I read the entire book in just two stages because it had me hooked once I really got into it. Initially the repeated use of the surname ("Maurice Wilson" as opposed to just "Maurice") grated with my reading style a little, but once I had adjusted to that I found it a real page turner. By the middle of the book I began to really get a feel for the surroundings and to picture what it must have been like to be there. Somewhat amusingly, I looked at one of the photos in the book at one point and thought, it really doesn't look that far to the summit of Everest, but then appreciated from the author's writing how deceiving distances can be at that height! Not to mention of course the lack of oxygen and the extreme weather conditions.

The photographs in the book really help to set the scenery, and I think the author has captured the essence of what made Maurice Wilson set off on such an amazing (some would say ridiculous!) adventure very well. It would have been easy to write him off as a lunatic, but I think the author was able to see past that and discover true depth to this person, successfully portraying him to be a hero for all that he accomplished (some of it before he even got to Everest).

The ongoing battles with various authorities made for amusing reading for me too, although also with a touch of sympathy for him.

I recommend this book as a highly enjoyable page-turning read, although it will leave some with mixed feelings due to the outcome of his achievement.

E4c Sound Isolating Musician's Earphones
E4c Sound Isolating Musician's Earphones

1.0 out of 5 stars Very good except when ..., 13 Sept. 2008
Like one other reviewer has already commented, despite being well looked after, the sound stopped coming out of one earphone. The low rating I have given these earphones is in part due to this fault, and in part due to apparent after-sales support, or rather, lack of. A query about the fault that was sent two weeks ago has so far not been acknowledged or dealt with. Whether this is because my query went down a black hole or not, I do not know. I sent a follow-up query today. Other points - I found the bass a little lacking, and I found that running with these earphones was 'interesting'. Any movement of the cable against clothes for example, you hear rather loudly in your ear. These are, however, good earphones, but given the fault I mention, come with a risk of being not fit for purpose (i.e. no sound at all), and follow-up support being non-existent in my case at least. Whether this is an isolated case, I don't know, but I expected at least some sort of reply. I've seen this fault with cheaper earphones, and given the price paid for this pair, had assumed that they would be more robust.

The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest
The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest
by Anatoli Boukreev
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those books I couldn't put down, 15 Sept. 2006
I was gripped by this book and found it hard to put down. It came across as factual, interesting and absorbing, and I'm not even a climber! Although I've never met him, I have a huge amount of respect for Anatoli Boukreev as a result of reading this book. In contrast, I tried to read an account of the same expedition written by Jon Krakauer but the bits I dipped into were pages of gossip about other members of the team (it came across in a 'gossipy' way to me), and something I couldn't quite put my finger on that grated with me somewhat. Possibly not a fair comparison, but from browsing through Into Thin Air for about half an hour I'm unlikely to read Krakauer's book in full. I found Boukreev's account to be more about Everest, the expedition, and ... well, it was just a nicer read.

Ironically, the bits in Krakauer's book I read about other members of the expedition really told me more about Krakauer himself. He seemed to go into too much detail about other people's private lives, whereas I was interested in what was going on at Everest. Boukreev's book (and Weston De Walt) came across to me as more focused, structured, well written, fair, factual in a non-judgemental way, and avoided making assumptions without stating that they were assumptions. It was an adventure to read, and to gain some insight into what it's really like to climb Everest. It was also reassuring to hear that not all climbers of Everest put reaching the summit ahead of saving another human life.

I highly recommend this book, and am unable to fault it in any way.