Profile for J. Mathers > Reviews

Content by J. Mathers

J. Mathers

Panasonic DMR-EX773EBK 160GB HDD DVD Recorder with Freeview+ (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Sound&Technology
Price: 259.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, but...., 13 Aug 2011
After forgetting the baffling instructions on how to get started (which didn't work) I just poked a few buttons and found out for myself. Everything on this unit functions well and has been is satisfactory, until today. I've discovered a possible snag no one else has mentioned with regard to transferring series recordings to DVD. Whilst I can copy single programs to DVD-R without a hitch, when I try to copy series recorded programs, the disc refuses to finalise. Even more annoying is that when you try to take the disc out, you get an error trapping message reminding you that you must finalise the disc. Press the red "Rec" button it helpfully tells you, but of course it doesn't work. Each attempt ends up with the same message "Finalising unsuccessful". Nothing in the manual mentions this, as far as I know.

Otherwise, after from the frequently mentioned annoying loss of space on the EPG, I'm happy enough with this unit.

I'd be grateful for any advice or fixes anyone knows about.

Philips HD4644/00 White Energy Efficient Kettle, 3000 Watt - 1.7 Litre
Philips HD4644/00 White Energy Efficient Kettle, 3000 Watt - 1.7 Litre
Price: 21.00

1.0 out of 5 stars The Jury's out, 15 April 2009
I bought this kettle over a week ago and it's still unusable. It taints the water by both taste and smell of a plastic/chlorine nature. It is both unhealthy,unsatisfactory.
Seeveral times a day I've been boiling water and fllushing it out in the hopes that this problem will go when the kettle is "run in". So far, little progress has been made.

So, if you want to take the risk, OK, but it might be better to go for the stainless steel version and put up with the noise.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2010 9:35 AM BST

Epson Stylus D88 Photo Edition Colour Inket Printer
Epson Stylus D88 Photo Edition Colour Inket Printer

3.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 14 Sep 2006
I bought an Epson D88 about 3 weeks ago, with some trepidation having read the reviews on this page. So far, I'd say pretty good. My main worry was the economy (or lack of it) that one or two have reported, but it hasn't proved a problem for me. I believe it may be less economic than my previous HP950, but even that statement is not beyond doubt, and it definitely does not guzzle ink or I'd bin it. I print every day, mostly in black (which one can select) and I'm about half way down the first black cartridge.

The software is good, installing was dead easy, the quality is fine. It probably takes a little longer to compose a page than the HP, but not so I'm cursing. All in all, its OK and I have no regrets.

In the longer term, I'm not too sure about having the print head in the machine, rather than on the cartridge as with HP. What happens if it dries out or blocks up, I've no idea, but we will wait and see.