Profile for Holger Hallmann > Reviews

Content by Holger Hallmann

Holger Hallmann "mediabaer" (Birmingham, UK)

InDesign Type: Professional Typography with Adobe Indesign
InDesign Type: Professional Typography with Adobe Indesign
by Nigel French

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Aug. 2014
Brilliant book. Seriously - forget the "InDesign Classroom in a Book" and get this one.

Crumpler Slip 13" Air Laptop Protection
Crumpler Slip 13" Air Laptop Protection

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible, 8 Jan. 2014
It is simply a peace/piece of mind. Great material, fantastic quality, flexible functionality.
Don't want to miss it.
Typical Crumpler ingenious quality.

Typorama: The Graphic Work of Philippe Apeloig
Typorama: The Graphic Work of Philippe Apeloig
by Philippe Apeloig

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Typography is Great Graphic Design, 8 Jan. 2014
I visited the exposition in Les Arts Decoratifs and was swept away.
As the Art and Design students there, who made sketches, I was amazed from the timelessness of this designer's work.
We all have to learn - even from contemporaries like Philippe Apeloig.

The Wisdom of Sikhism (Oneworld of Wisdom) (Oneworld of Wisdom)
The Wisdom of Sikhism (Oneworld of Wisdom) (Oneworld of Wisdom)
by Charanjit AjitSingh

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Joy, 28 April 2009
I bought this one before I was inspired by Sikhism (and converted pretty soon after).

It gives the reader a good insight into the Beauty and Spirit of Sikhism and an even inspiring read.
I can wholeheartedly recommend this book even for a gift or coffee-table reading.

Seeds Of Earth: Book One of Humanity's Fire
Seeds Of Earth: Book One of Humanity's Fire
by Michael Cobley

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but written with too much ambition and less effort, 28 April 2009
I was pretty much interested in this one, even anticipated to read it.
In the end I would like to put it into three thirds:
1st Third: Promising, enchanting, even innovative. The premise of Earth's struggle with the Swarm is nicely written and it makes one wonder how the Colony Ships made it in the end. It is innovative writing and written with a tinct of detail, a love which I wanted to see throughout the whole book. Esp. how the former colonists evolved in some kind of own culture was captivating.
2nd Third: All of a sudden the whole action comes into motion. Not bad, if the author all of a sudden creates haste and looses the ambitious details which he employed in the first third. The book looses this considerably in this third.
3rd Third: This is really stitched with a hot needle. Having written a book (okay, a textbook, but what the heck ;o) ...) myself it seemed to me like the author all of a sudden had the intention to finish what he started in a haste. The whole love to detail which he showed in the first third (and obviously slowly lost in the second) is completely gone in the third. The story's resolution comes within less than half the page-amount he used in the first third and you can almost see the editor sitting behind the author, tapping on his/her watch.

The last Third ruins the whole experience. While the first one looked promising the second and third ruin the whole... Obviously the author was more ambitioned than disciplined and lost his love for his own subject(s) while writing.

Sad.

I can't recommend the book, even if it would be interesting to know how the story continues. But then in the end abridged version would do (maybe someone offers a plot description in wikipedia then...).

Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 Classroom in a Book
Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 Classroom in a Book
by Adobe Creative Team

1.0 out of 5 stars Honey, who shrunk the Classroom in a Book?, 3 Jun. 2007
I was in a local bookstore and stumbled over a series which was usually quite useful to me as a design/media pro: The Classroom in a Book Series for CS3.

Because I got the CS3 Design Premium and worked with Freeway most of the time (and because a coop colleague works with Dreamweaver) I wanted to pick it up.

Luckily I flipped through it before I bought it.

It is not only shrunken in thickness, it was reduced to some (!) basics, some (!) details and some (!) references.

You may ask the following:

a) Will I be able to use Dreamweaver after reading it and worked through the tutorials? - Yes and no. Yes you might be able to use Dreamweaver but only in the way the tutorials work. Don't think you might get a grip of HTML, Java, PHP or AJAX in conjunction with Dreamweaver. This book is for starters only!

b) Is it as good as the really big and concise Classrooms of the past (esp. the ones for CS and CS2)? - No, it was shrunken in size and content. The old Macromedia Training Books were much more concise!

Okay, it is now fully colored and the binding is much better, but anyway: They are not a coffee table item - you have to get the grip of a soon-to-be-productive program!

Esp. because of my brilliant experiences with past issues of the Classrooms I can't recommend the new ones at all. They are too shallow for effective use.

Adobe stitched this with a VERY hot needle!

Adobe Flash CS3 Professional Classroom in a Book
Adobe Flash CS3 Professional Classroom in a Book
by Adobe Creative Team

1.0 out of 5 stars Honey, who shrunk the Classroom in a Book?, 3 Jun. 2007

Because I got the CS3 Design Premium and haven't worked with Flash for some time I wanted to pick it up.

Luckily I flipped through it before I bought it.

You may ask the following:

a) Will I be able to use Flash after reading it and worked through the tutorials? - Yes and no. Yes you might be able to use Flash but only in the way the tutorials work.

Btw: The old Macromedia Training Books were much better and concise. Adobe stitched this with a VERY hot needle!