Profile for Cataylr > Reviews

Content by Cataylr

Cataylr (Ireland)

Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince: Children's Edition (Harry Potter 6)
Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince: Children's Edition (Harry Potter 6)
by J. K. Rowling

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing read, 21 July 2005
I devoured this book as soon as I got my fingers on it - I couldn't help myself, I'm a fan, and so as with all the others in the series I simply had to find out what was going to happen next.
The problem was, not a lot did happen next. The first three quaters of the book were setting the scene for the last three chapters - the book could just have well have been the size of the first without suffering from any great loss. Now, I'm not saying that there weren't things of interest in those first three quarters, there was, and it was all amusing, at no point was I bored, but I just found it all a bit unnecessary. Time consuming, perhaps. Hermione, to me, was the only charater that actually developed, some of them seemed to become perhaps more two-dimensional, and Dumbledore seems to undergo a complete personality switch about half way through the book. I have problems understanding what Rowling was trying to achieve at points in the book - especially in the last chapter, which I thought was perhaps one of her most beautiful pieces of writing, right up until the last, oh, say, two pages, where it turned to pointless mush, totally undermining what had happened before hand.
This is of course, a book all Harry Potter fans should read. Its important to the overall plot, clearly, and it does clarify some amazingly important features, as well as having some of the mosr amusing similies I think I have ever read in my life. But if you haven't read it yet, don't get your hopes up too high. Its an average sort of book, I thought, and my high expectations were hoping for better.
Lets see where the plot moves on from here then...

'... then he ate my boy entrancers.' (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, Book 6)
'... then he ate my boy entrancers.' (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, Book 6)
by Louise Rennison

5.0 out of 5 stars Ha ha ha ha ha... brilliant as usual, 5 Jun 2005
This book, like all the others in the Georgia Nicolson series, is so hilarious that you can't help looking like a complete fool (or a loon on loon pills) when reading it, you're laughing so hard. It's one of the brest pieces of escapism I have ever read - hillarious, at times almost painful (you can feel her pain - Robbie, Masimo,or Dave?), and all of the time you're innundated with insane moments of disco dancing and Our Lord Sandra. Priceless.
I don't know where Louise Rennison got the inspiration for Georgia, but I just hope she continues to find it (and that I will never meet it myself) - a completely original and totally shocking character. I love that she's such a Englishy type - the American audience hasn't changed her one jolt, even if she does pay the people accross the water a visit.
Buy it. If you haven't read the other ones before it, buy them. It doesn't matter what age you are, you are going to find them brilliant, in every way. They make you remember every single cringy thing you ever did in front of a guy, in the best possible way.
Oh and by the way, my moneys on the Laugh.

Inside I'm Dancing [DVD] [2004]
Inside I'm Dancing [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ James McAvoy
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant film, 14 Feb 2005
This film made me cry - it may be the sort of story that makes some people feel empowered, because it is a story of triumph over the most terrible of problems, but it made me cry. Quite openly, without shame. It made many people cry, I think, with just cause. And when it was over, what was there left to say? This film covers a whole emotional range. See it. It will change your perspectives forever, put you in touch with sides you might not even have known you had, and ultimately make you think about what is going on in the world today; why do things have to be like this, and is there any way to change it all. Are people doomed to live that type of life?
Not that the story is of selfpity. They get over that pretty soon. Its about coping, getting on with it, living life to the full because thats what you've got to do, theres no other way to live! Things can get worse, yes, they can even be terrible. But you've still got to keep you're face on, and try and be happy. Take it all as it comes by you, never miss a day.
Thats the message I got from it, at least. There is a lot the two from this film can teach you, if you let it. By the end, you can almost understand every word that is said. If you give the film time, watch it, it is well worth it.
Even if it does spoil your mascara when you cry.

Back of Beyond
Back of Beyond
by Patricia Lynch

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, 11 Feb 2005
This review is from: Back of Beyond (Paperback)
Clearly books from the 60's in Ireland do not sell, or are not worth reviewing. I came here looking for comments on one of my favorite books from when I was younger, to find that there were none hear! I do not understand why, as I thought this was brilliant when I was younger. It is a story within a story, perfect for people who like Irish Legends. It is one of the books a child SHOULD read when growing up, it is most definately worth it!

Nineteen Eighty-Four
Nineteen Eighty-Four
by George Orwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Horrific view of what could of happened, and may yet., 11 Feb 2005
This review is from: Nineteen Eighty-Four (Paperback)
Addmittadly, this was an impulse buy on my part. I had vaguely heard of Orwell before, and I had never read any of his work. Now, I have read three of his books, and am looking for more. Why the change? I had no idea that Nineteen Eighty-Four was going to be as it was - frightening, thought provoking and ultimately distressing. To think that a work of fiction from the 1940s could so accurately discribe elements of life today is amazing, and almost unheard of.
Other writers have attepted to sujest what the future may be. Asimov, for example, thought up a universe filled with robots. But Orwells world is something totally differant, and much more in line with what has actually happened. It is a world where your every move is watched, where the media is controlled, and people who do not toe the line, even in their sleep, become "unpersons", seasing to exist altogether. This is the world of Room 101. This world has it's own language, a twisted corruption of English, which can in part be seen today. It is easy to imagine that a camera is on you all the time, that people can look inside your head. Ingsoc could easily have happened, and could be around today.
This is the world Orwell creates. It is a political jab, as well as a frightening piece of fiction, becoming truth. Upon finishing it, two things horrified me: the first being the content of the book, particularly its ending and the simple style of writing that captured the mood amazingly, and the second that I had not heard of the book before. I would almost demand of my friends to read this! In fact, as a result some have. Why is it not more widely known to the younger population? Even though it is set in the past, it almost seems to be about what it yet the future, something that could still easily happen to us. And that, that really scares me.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
by Susanna Clarke

4.0 out of 5 stars Admitadly long, but definately worth it., 4 Jan 2005
This book was bought for me, so I never had a chance to read any reviews for it before plunging into the story. So I never thought of it as a potential grown-up Harry Potter. And I'm glad I didn't, because otherwise I would have been sorely disappointed. There is very little to compare between them; Clake's novel is a much more serious piece of work charting the magical revival in England, without any mention of magic wands, scars, or homework. She builds a compelling world with realistic characters, filled with as many problems of a social nature as of a magical one.
The main downfall of the book would be in its length - at around 800 pages it is a lot to take, especially as at times the plot moves fairly slowly. But anybody reading it should not give up, overall it is well worth the effort. I particurarly enjoyed the footnotes - the plot would have moved on just as well without them, but they gave another level to the world, giving bits of information which, whilst not being vital to the story, built upon your knoweledge of the charatcers life and helped explain why things were happening the way they were.
I would recommend this book to anybody interested in history, Austin, magic... anybody, in fact, with the patience to give it a chance and to not be daunted by its length and, at times, pace. I look forward to the next novel by this author.