Profile for Jenny > Reviews

Grease 2 [DVD]
Grease 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maxwell Caulfield

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not THAT bad...(maybe?), 6 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Grease 2 [DVD] (DVD)
If you don't compare it to Grease (which let's face it you're going to no matter what), it's not THAT bad but it's definitely got problems.

Firstly, the story is pretty cliché. Although arguably Grease was too, they pulled it off because it was entertaining and well acted. The acting is awful in this! Maxwell Caulfield has as much charisma as dry paint, the T-Birds are all forgettable as are the supporting Pink Ladies and the only likable character is Frenchy who disappears half way through the movie. While Pfeiffer does an ok job at giving some life to her character, I just don't buy the romance because, when it comes down to it, there isn't anything in her that would make her attractive to the nerdy genius aside from her pretty face. She's sort of nice to him when they first meet but then after that she doesn't give him the time of day and the one time she does, it's only to use him to help her with her English essay. In fact, half their shared dialogue is just him correcting her poor grammar! And although he learns how to be a 'cool rider' for her, he's still exactly what she said she was afraid of; behind the goggles, he's an ordinary dull guy, so logically there's no reason she would be interested in him either.

As for the songs, there's only two memorable ones which are Cool Rider. Everything else is pretty forgettable, though they're not necessarily bad. Which reminds me, I'm surprised no one has pointed out how bad Caulfield's singing is. They hide it ok, but I noticed it right away. I think he's just there to be the eye candy for the girls to be honest. The best singers are actually from the supporting characters.

Overall, although it has major flaws mainly because it's basically a reversed version of Grease, I found it to be an ok movie. If you lower your expectations, it does have a few fun moments and though the songs aren't fantastic, it's only by Grease standard and they can be entertaining on their own. Also, I think the main reason I don't buy the romance is because Pfeiffer and Caulfield apparently did not get along, but they do an ok job at hiding that and I guess they do have a few cute moments together like the motorbike ride.

For Me and My Gal [DVD] [1942]
For Me and My Gal [DVD] [1942]
Dvd ~ Judy Garland
Offered by babsbargains *** WORLDWIDE SHIPPING ***

4.0 out of 5 stars Gene Kelly is awesome! :), 12 Aug. 2012
I think we can all agree that this is a great, yet underrated movie. However, there are some things that bugged me, though they don't necessarily affect the overall experience, but I think it should be pointed out. IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS, STOP READING NOW! :O

Firstly, Kelly's character starts out as an opportunist, confident yet vain guy which Jo (Garland) initially dislikes. So when exactly does she start to fall in love with him? I know why WE all love him as an audience but I don't buy how Jo so quickly falls for him, especially after she catches him flirting with the singer nor how quickly Harry 'realises' his feelings for Jo when he was smitten by his new love interest. Jealousy, maybe, but love? Hmm....
Second, the supporting characters of Jimmy and Eve are unrealistically pleasant and forgiving. Jimmy, who has been in love with Jo for possibly years, yet doesn't hesitate to help her relationship with Harry. They made him too much of a nice guy, I can understand why during early viewings everybody wanted Jo to end up with Jimmy instead.
Thirdly (and my biggest issue) is the lazy afterthought of a scene where Harry does something 'heroic'. This scene was added in because of the reason above so they had to make Palmer do something good and selfless so he looks like the better option (I still prefer Jimmy to be honest). His truck miraculously didn't get blown up in that war zone and as he gets out of the truck, a rifle and a whole pile of grenades is conveniently there on the ground next to him to defeat a whole bunch of shooters with. Seriously? Who leaves a bunch of grenades just lying on the floor?! I think this scene was just too much.

And finally, what really bugged me was that the movie was waaayyy too short! Another half hour or so would have done the movie a lot of justice; they could have made us care more for Jo's brother Danny, how Harry and Jo's relationship went from dance partners to lovers etc.
In the end, it's a nice 'feel good' movie and after watching you can see how this role was what got Gene Kelly attention lol

Mass Effect Garrus Mug + Quote
Mass Effect Garrus Mug + Quote

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy., 20 July 2012
From the pictures, you can tell it looks a little cheap but as this is the only 'Garrus mug' I can find anywhere, I hoped it was just the lighting in the picture. In reality, the actual mug looks worse. The image of Garrus is poorly printed in that there is some discolouring. I dunno why the word 'calibration' is capitalized in the quote, which just makes it look even more homemade but I suppose this is my own fault as I should have noticed in the picture.

Overall, it was poorly done and you can tell. I think someone made this in their home and decided to earn a bit of quick cash from Mass Effect fans. Do not buy it!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC DVD)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC DVD)
Offered by games-wizard

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, but wish they made a version specifically for PC :/, 30 April 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Pros:
- Good graphics
- Awesome soundtrack
- Decent voice actors. A bit overused sometimes, but an improvement from the 4 voice actors from Oblivion lol
- Fantastic environments to explore
- Tons of content
- Fun side/guild quests
- Decent followers
- You can marry certain NPC's
- DRAGONS and dragon shouts!! :D
- Fun to play a werewolf
- Improved appearance for Argonians and Khajitso (look much more animal and reptile-like)
- Improved combat (less stiff and quicker hits). Also fun kill animations. Can choose what to have in each hand.

Cons:
- Controls are very noticeably made for console. You can set it to different keys, but wish they made a version more suited to PC
- No memorable characters (apart from Cicero who is insane yet awesome in equal measures!)
- Main storyline is just meh. Nothing spectacular.
- Plot is more linear than Oblivion :/
- Dragon's need to be a bit harder to kill than trolls
- Glitches here and there, but are generally minor so can be forgiven considering how massive the world is
- AI can sometimes be really, REALLY bad -_-
- Customisation is limited in comparison to Oblivion, though they do have a bunch of nice presets and hairstyles (usually I need to download mods for decent hairstyles and outfits but it's actually pretty decent already). Just wish you could change more in the face

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Basically a foundation..., 19 April 2012
I've been using this product for a few months now and I have occasionally received compliments in my skintone because of it, but I just don't think that it lives up to all that it claims to do.
I can't judge from the anti-wrinkle part because I don't have any yet, but it doesn't do anything for spots or acne. The cover that it gives is just average, making the appearance of scars and spots less noticeable, but still very visible. I do like that it is relatively smooth and does not cake up as quickly as most of my foundations do. However, it does clog my pores and cause more breakouts so a good cleanser and exfoliator is a must. Overall, I think it's slightly better than the pink one, but only because I find the pink one more dry because of its thicker consistency (making it slightly better at coverage than this one). I also don't feel that it has whitened my skin, or if it has then it's not noticeable. It does have a slight dewy effect but finishing with powder afterwards solves this easily.
An ok buy for anyone going for the 'natural' look as it blends into the skin fairly well and the coverage is average so people usually can't tell you're wearing anything.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2012 2:19 AM BST

Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD]
Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring and predictable.., 29 Mar. 2012
I can't help but feel that Downton Abbey just seems to be going downhill (plot-wise). Series one was really good and I really enjoyed it, but since then the storyline has started to become too cliché and predictable. At some point I actually fell asleep whilst watching this. SPOLER ALERT! How is it that series 2 ended with Lavinia's death, with Matthew stating his guilt could never allow him to be with Mary, only to then persuade her to break off her engagement to that Carlyle guy (can't remember his name), and then propose to her in the snow (might be romantic for some, but was just plain cheesy for me)? I think Lavinia would have went better with Matthew to be honest, I never felt his and Mary's chemistry, it just seemed too...convenient and unoriginal that they start out as rivals but then fall in love. And what on earth is wrong with Bates? He is such a determined masochist, I actually was waiting for his trial to go bad so I wouldn't have to see any more of his 'I'm gonna take the blame for this crime even though I didn't do it, in order to protect so and so...'. First going to jail for his wife, taking the heat for Thomas when he stole the wine, leaving with his evil wife to protect Anna etc..we get it, he's a nice and honourable man, so why keep reminding us? But I think what annoys me the most about this is that everything just seems like it HAS to end happily. I'll bet you ANYTHING that Bates will end up being freed with him and Anna getting married. That Carl guy forgiving Mary and letting her go even though she technically cheated on him just seems too convenient. The fight was also very lame and just seemed to be there for the purpose of showing the two guys love for Mary. Obviously something will happen in the next series that will cause problems with their engagement but we all know they'll end up married in the end, with or without Downton. Edith will become a writer and gain all the attention she oh so deserved and everyone will be happy....
A good plot leaves room for suspense, I shouldn't have been able to guess nearly all the details that would play out, including Sybil falling pregnant!
However, I'd still recommend fans of Downton Abbey to buy this because it's packed with 'feel good' moments that I'm sure they would enjoy. I myself prefer period dramas like Tess of the d'Urbervilles and North & South which Downton Abbey just doesn't compare in plot twists and suspense. But that doesn't mean there aren't some enjoyable things about it that would be appreciated by more passionate fans.

Closer [DVD] [2004] [2005]
Closer [DVD] [2004] [2005]
Dvd ~ Julia Roberts
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't know why people hate it so much..., 4 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Closer [DVD] [2004] [2005] (DVD)
I watched this online and it's actually one of my favourite films now. It had a terrific cast (though I'm not that keen on Natalie Portman) and the script is fantastically written with dark humour and satire. The relationship that the characters have are believable to an extent though the whole Alice/Jane sleeping with Larry thing was a bit too convenient for me. I think this version of the play has a better ending as the original ending didn't really solve or reveal anything (Larry leaves Anna again and dates someone else, Anna and Dan are single and Alice dies in New York after getting hit by a car). Definitely left me feeling a bit depressed but in a good, like after reading Tess of the d'Urbervilles, sort of way. Clive Owen was definitely the best actor in this and worth watching just for him :)

Rome - Season 1-2 - Complete [DVD] [2007]
Rome - Season 1-2 - Complete [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Kevin McKidd

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 22 Dec. 2011
Watched the series when it was on BBC and I absolutely loved it. Not gonna go into the storyline because that's just long and I'm sure other reviewers have already done it. I do have one teeny problem with the DVD though. It annoys me that for some reason there is no 'Play all' option for the episodes, meaning you have to go through the hassle of going to the main menu>Episodes>Pick episode>Play Episode. I mean, wtf? That's just long and completely unnecassary! -_- Apart from that, the quality is great. Subtitles a little inaccurate but most are simplified anyway so I'll get over that.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2012 7:42 PM BST

Harry Potter - The Complete 8-Film Collection [DVD] [2001]
Harry Potter - The Complete 8-Film Collection [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe

4.0 out of 5 stars Great films...but the box itself sucks., 9 Dec. 2011
I'm not gonna review the actual films because that'll just take forever, so I'll comment on the box itself. The cover is really rubbish, it's made of card. So after a while, it WILL fall apart and then I'll have to find somewhere else to put the 4 DVD's. Couldn't they have at least made it out of cardboard or something? -_-
But yeah, apart from that, the DVD's are great. There's 2 discs per DVD case with the movie poster on the front and back so you know which side is on which. Quality of the picture is good. Sound is a bit low for my liking but I like my movies loud.

Chinese Money Dragon Pewter Pendant Necklace
Chinese Money Dragon Pewter Pendant Necklace
Offered by Dan Jewelers, USA

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks tacky., 2 Dec. 2011
It was too thick and big for my liking. I wanted it small and thin. Engraving isn't nice upclose either. I returned mine the next day.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5