Profile for alasdair kay > Reviews

Unreached
Unreached
by Tim Chester
Price: 8.87

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all engaged in Inner City Mission, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Unreached (Paperback)
I am the Chief Exec of a City Mission in the UK so this type of stuff has been my bread and butter for years. At last someone has written a coherent, and cohesive manual for City Missioners, Church Planters, those working in Fresh expressions and all those who care about the most un-reached people the urban poor. At first glance this book appears to be the case purely for the UK "CHAV" culture but these same principles apply within the Banlieue's of Paris and HLM estates in France. In fact I would say the principles apply to anywhere you find Urban Ghetto's of the poor.

I have recommend this book to many friends. My only area of disappointment is the writer is clearly coming from a conservative Evangelical perspective and I felt the book lacked a couple of chapters in terms of the supernatural and especially the dynamic of signs and wonders especially in confronting spiritual powers within these deeply occult communities.When I have lived in these areas the most common request I have received from people is to come and deliver homes from Evil Spirits.

My experience of over 15 years of working in these areas Is I realize that the powerless turn to the "powers" to lift them and consequently come under their domination and influence. However all that said, I would highly recommend this book and hope it's message goes beyond is potentially, a presently very narrow audience.

Travellers of the Heart: Exploring New Pathways on Our Spiritual Journey
Travellers of the Heart: Exploring New Pathways on Our Spiritual Journey
by Michael Mitton
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A friend for my journey, 16 July 2013
Just finished this book by Michael Mitton over the weekend. A welcome break from theological tomes. C.S. Lewis said "we read to know we are not alone." I found this book a helpful friend speaking to me on my spiritual journey. It spoke particularity to the journey of the last 2 years. I found I had travelled from different directions to all of the places that Michael had Evangelicalism being my "home county" His chapter on liberalism was very helpful to me at present as I struggle to come to terms with aspects of it in the new country i find myself in. I particularly found the last chapter speaking to some very deep places in me as I spent time in the reflection exercises. A good book for mature Christians who think, can I learn from those who aren't like me and wonder what other tribes have to teach us about God. I recommend it highly...

Church for Every Context: An Introduction to Theology and Practice
Church for Every Context: An Introduction to Theology and Practice
Price: 26.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb !, 30 Dec 2012
At last a well researched comprehensive introduction to Fresh Expressions missiology well crafted and ery well thought through peace of work.

Healing and Suffering: Biblical and Pastoral Reflections
Healing and Suffering: Biblical and Pastoral Reflections
by Keith Warrington

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Exegesis but the writing style is a little too academic lacks illustrations.., 30 Dec 2012
Dr Keith Warrington is vice principle of Regents Theological College West Malvern, a New Testament Theologian, and Pastor. This reflects in his style of writing. He is clearly writing it feels to his students as well as polemicaly rebutting excesses within Pentecostal practice. His high Christology shines through the book and at times there are moments of utter brilliance. However you keep coming back and saying "yes but what about this or that" because most Pentecostal Theology is vernacular theology to suddenly read a Pentecostl Biblical Theologian putting things right it tends to jar you.... especially as a Pentecostal myself. ... However if you have had an overdose of Hagin, Bill Johnson and Randy Clarke and they leave you wondering why "Trophimus is still sick" this book is very helpful Pastorally ...... and it is there that it excels.

Common Worship Daily Prayer (Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England)
Price: 18.87

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not an Anglican but this could help me be one, to date this is the best liturgical prayer I've found, 30 Dec 2012
I would call myself a new monastic and recently discovered liturgical prayer and living (about a year ago) having come from a Evangelical Charismatic background where extempore shopping list prayer was the norm. Over the last year I've used several books of liturgy. Celtic Daily prayer, Shane Claibourne's Common Worship, Iona prayer book, and the Franciscan Celebrating Common Worship. All of which are fab but very repetitive. However with common worship you can more fully embrace liturgical living. Embracing disciplines like lectio divina, contemplative silence, space for extemporey prayer as well. Common Worship allows you to vary the number of offices you keep. I generally keep 4, but with common worship you can keep 2-5 offices very simply. I use it mostly through the my CofE app on iPhone but the kindle version sits on all my apparatus meaning I can turn to it anywhere at any time. I think if I was to reccomend one prayer book above the others it would be this one.

The Permanent Revolution: Apostolic Imagination and Practice for the 21st Century Church (Jossey-Bass Leadership Network Series)
by Darrell L. Guder
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars possibly ground breaking, 1 Oct 2012
A very very good book. Accessible and inspirational. This clears away the clutter around Apostles today. I have "grown up in an Apostolic movement of churches". The truth is that deep down these Apostles looked, spoke, and acted more like Episkipos Bishops or big cheese pastors. None of them in my time had personally planted a church. Some had crossed culture but quickly got back on the plane again. In fact as I looked in they seemed to spend all their time with leaders or conferences or fire fighting in existing churches.
This book sorts out the clutter, defines the terms, and helps to bring clarity to what is the greatest need to missional movements in the world, leadership that protects DNA and breaks new ground.
A must read for any missiologist ... My only sad point is that I wish he could write it again for the academic fieldas most missiologists are in the making and universities want things at peer level.

How God Became King: The Forgotten Story of the Gospels
How God Became King: The Forgotten Story of the Gospels
Price: 7.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly excellent, 21 Sep 2012
I think the thing I love most about nearly all of Tom Wrights books is he gives you a passion for exegesis... He is a master at it! It is hard to refute what he says most of time because quite simply he handles the Bible so well.Secondly whilst this is a meaty book you can be a novice in the Bible and completely follow what he says.
I agree with his fundamental premise we have missed the point for a long long time and the 4 speakers do need to be adjusted to be faithful to the God of the bible and the Big story it is telling us...
Buy it in fact buy two because you will want to give a copy to someone else.

A New Kind of Christianity: Ten Questions that are Transforming the Faith
A New Kind of Christianity: Ten Questions that are Transforming the Faith
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what all the fuss is about this book... and not so sure how New this New kind of Christianity is, 18 Aug 2012
I am part of a theological ale drinking group of clergy that meet on a Sunday night in a pub over a pint or sometimes two of real ale.

When we suggested reading A new Kinda Christianity I almost refused on the grounds that my Evangelicalism had all but told me that Brian MacLaren was the anti-christ and deeply dangerous, to be avoided at all costs.

I had previously read a Generous Orthodoxy and found myself agreeing with him on the questions he was asking and also his observations. I then found myself warm to his possible direction of travel. But when it came to conclusions he then does a quantum leap into Liberalism...... too far sorry.

So this book was more of the same. Some of it hugely liberating and really helpful to me. I had been more and more conscious of the philosophical problems of the Augustinian Platonism that I had grown up with and was the bed rock of classical reformed evangelicalism. Especially the slightly (well quite a lot really) dodgy hermeneutical method and world view I had bought into for the last 26 years.

So Brian's book was well all pretty de-stabelising really... however what was exceptional about this book was that it left me believing in the Bible, Jesus, and the way of Kingdom of God being really good news to the world.... more than I had before.

However to my chagrin he then does His quantum link thingy and I go D'oh !!! Why do we have to go here ... So would I recommend it yes.... I think so.... yes, but not to everyone and not without reservations ...... if you are a reasonably mature believer and are able to go where the Bible takes you and stop there.... Then I would say yes read it.... As to Brian he isn't the baddy he is painted to be. On the contrary He is clearly a brother and a genuinely born again lover of Christ and man of God ... and the rest.... the conclusions if you can go there then fine personally not sure I can..... but well, Brian time will tell... Thanks for writing this, at least you are asking the important questions.

Spirituality Workbook: A Guide for Explorers, Pilgrims and Seekers (New Edition)
by David Runcorn
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My book of the year, 16 Aug 2012
I've met David on a number of occasions as the self effacing husband of my local vicar... A really nice bloke... then I read this.... WOW !!!!
Students at St Johns theological College had always said what a helpful writer, lecturer, and guide he was .. However I hadn't realized what a brilliant writer he is. I loved his insights for me as a Pentecostal into Pentecostal spirituality and the diversity and richness of the spirituality within this book is excellent.

So at last, a guide book for the new emerging church world we find ourselves in. This book lets you draw from ancient wells, honors your tradition and shows you that those on the other side of the fence aren't as dodgy as you were told ....

I have recommended this book to all my friends and especially those in Christian ministry. Enjoy and Apply !!!

Listening to God: Hearing His Voice
Listening to God: Hearing His Voice
by Joyce Huggett
Price: 7.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the most comprehensive but certainly the most accessible, 16 Aug 2012
I am shocked to realize that this is the 16th book I have read on prayer this year... among them classics like EM Bounds, Brother Lawrence the Practice of the Presence of God. Richard Fosters book "Prayer" 2 books by Wesley Duwell .. Tony Horsfalls Rhythms of Grace.. 4 books by David Adam, 2 from the Iona Community.. 3 by Pete Greig 2 books by Mike Mitton, and the story of the Beacon house of prayer 17 ....oops 19 one by Shane Claibourne and the other by the Order of St Francis .. Why do I say all these? ..Simply because there are many great books in addition to these titles I have listed. All those above I would recommend. However this is the only one I have felt led to write a review on.

So what was it that was so great about this one? Simple.... accessibility..... via the honesty of the author and discovering a fellow pilgrim in the journey that is prayer ... CS Lewis said we read to know we are not alone. Like Joyce I am an Evangelical Charismatic who has had his heart drawn to a contemplative life style and there..... found the sweetest of riches... God himself.

Is this a book for those starting out on the journey of prayer or a companions guide on the journey? I'm not sure.... However what is helpful is to know I'm not the only contemplative in the Charismatic village... and I don't have to leave my Protestantism at the gate to walk this way ;-)

Page: 1 | 2