Profile for Bugs > Reviews

Content by Bugs

Bugs "buggle26" (Arklow, Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Nation's Favourite Poems
The Nation's Favourite Poems
by Griff Rhys Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Nov. 2015
Outstanding; no comparison among poetry collections!

Outside in My Dressing Gown: Poems for Garden Lovers
Outside in My Dressing Gown: Poems for Garden Lovers
by Liz Cowley

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as all the rest of her works, 1 Nov. 2015
A fabulous collection! As good as all the rest of her works. A real dipper, to read on the lavatory, at the breakfast table or in bed! Uplifting and very amusing yet thought provoking.

What Am I Doing Here?
What Am I Doing Here?
by Liz Cowley

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, pithy and full of pathos, 1 Nov. 2015
This review is from: What Am I Doing Here? (Hardcover)
Marvellous! Funny, pithy and full of pathos. Scans well and no frills. No need for deconstruction and analysis by "experts". Super pleasure ensured,

Icarus (Benny Griessel)
Icarus (Benny Griessel)
by Deon Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent characterisation with a whimsical attitude, 1 Nov. 2015
I bought this in Johannesburg airport on my way home to Ireland. What a surprise! A SA Bernie Gunther! Excellent characterisation with a whimsical attitude, if that's not naff in SA. Better and more enjoyable than Scandinavian contemporaneous writers. A pleasant, interesting but thankfully not a rollicking read. Seriously recommended.

Severed: A History of Heads Lost and Heads Found
Severed: A History of Heads Lost and Heads Found
by Frances Larson

1.0 out of 5 stars D minus!, 16 Jun. 2015
Extraordinarily disappointing! It is boring, repetitive and joyless to read. I speed read some and was glad when I checked that the sources, etc . were near. The writing is dire and the book is way too long and poorly edited. It's not even gory let alone interesting. Sorry; a D for a Research Fellow.

Antarctica: An Intimate Portrait of the World's Most Mysterious Continent
Antarctica: An Intimate Portrait of the World's Most Mysterious Continent
by Gabrielle Walker

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Too Intimate..., 23 Feb. 2014
...In the sense that it would appeal more to family members and the people she encountered in Antarctica. However I did enjoy this quirky collection of sketches of the Southern Continent. There is oodles of information, historical and present, to titillate anyone interested in Antarctica. The writing is clear and jaunty. I read it daily in small bursts and had no bother finishing it. It is a cut above other travelogue books and I can well see myself dipping in again in the future.

Kill as Few Patients as Possible: And Fifty-six Other Essays on How to Be the World's Best Doctor
by Oscar London

5.0 out of 5 stars GP Trainee alert. READ!!!!, 4 Dec. 2013
A fun read for medics! I am now 31 years qualified and still enjoy the short
vignettes he describes. I buy each of my registrars a copy before they leave,
after their year with me. Short chapters with a message. Addictive reading.

Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human
Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human
by Richard Wrangham

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, readable hypothesis!, 20 Aug. 2013
Other reviewers have described the content so I will not go over the same ground. The ideas and reasoning are first class. I was astounded. It compares to "Guns, Germs and Steel" in its originality and cogently arranged arguments. This, in my opinion, makes the book an important and essential study for those who wish to learn about our beginnings as humans. It is a truly readable book, short and pacy enough to read on holidays!

The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason
The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason
by Sam Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't try to climb Mt Impossible!, 15 Aug. 2010
Finding it very difficult to believe in God for some years now, I have read many books that purport to disprove its existence. To be fair I have read others that do the opposite. Despite the multitudinous assertions/proofs of the atheists, not one has "proved" the fairy-tale thesis. Harris, in this book, has produced the most cogent, coherent and apposite demolition of liberal approaches to religion. He does not hate as Dawkins does, or sneer like Hitchens. He absolutely refutes the idea of a Creator, but does not attempt to make science or reason disprove one. It seems that he has realised God and Schrodinger's cat are equivalent at this point in time. He makes extremely valid and vital observations about the current state of religions and how the various strands are likely to cause untold misery, if not disaster. His stance is more powerful than the absolutist position. His purpose is to explain that all isms are false and so non-compatable that reconciliation is impossible unless mankind abjures the "Books" that were inspired by God. I feel his view is right: remember one can't disprove God however grotesque it may be to be a non-believer. The book is worthy even if one reads merely the first paragraph; it is something to be related in any discussion of God! This book is valuable and has none of "The Dawkins' Delusion". It is the most illuminative and enjoyable book of its genre that I have read. It is also well written, easily absorbed by a layman(!) and, ultimately, comprhensible. A caveat; it is particularly harsh on Islam, not usual in other books which tend to harp on against Christianity, that being the safest bet. Highly recommended.

Victor Mollo's Bridge Club
Victor Mollo's Bridge Club
by Victor Mollo

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, even for a Toucan or Walrus!, 16 Mar. 2010
This is the most imaginative, insightful and hilarious bridge book I have read. It and its successors are famous and I am surprised there are no prior reviews. Each animal represents a true type of player. Super/Boastful, Great/Unlucky, Bad/Lucky and Brutal/Unlucky are all shown here. The hands are well described and the proper management of the cards is explained. I laughed out loud reading this repeatedly, as others to whom I have given it as a gift. I am a very moderate player but have learnt a good amount. An absolute 100% smash guaranteed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3