Profile for C. R. Hales > Reviews

Content by C. R. Hales

C. R. Hales "Chris Hales" (Cambridge, Cambs United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Konstsmide 3034-000 288 Clear Multifunction Micro Light Set
Konstsmide 3034-000 288 Clear Multifunction Micro Light Set
Price: 43.66

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely lights - when they work, 31 Oct 2013
The great thing about these lights is that the bulbs aren't too close together, so one string can give fairly even illumination over the entire tree. The multifunction controller gives some good effects, too, my favourite being a lovely gentle twinkling effect. As other reviewers have said the cable is quite thick in places, but I don't find this a real problem. What I have been a bit disappointed by if the apparent poor quality control. The first set I bought had a string of twelve lights not working. The second set I bought (from a different source)had a single light not working, but by the time I took the lights down after Christmas it too had a string of twelve not lighting up. By all means buy these, but do check them carefully when they arrive and keep your receipt in case, like mine, they develop a fault early on.

Theme Park
Theme Park
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Debut, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: Theme Park (MP3 Download)
I've seen Theme Park live a couple of times and enjoyed them enormously on both occasions. The last time I was struck by how much more confident they seemed and that they really seemed like a band destined for great things.

Sadly, it seems they acquit themselves rather less well on record. Their debut CD seems to be hurriedly recorded, under-produced and poorly mixed. The vocals, in particular, tend to be frustratingly buried in the mix or unforgivingly over-exposed leaving the record seeming more like a demo than the finished article.

All this said, after a few listens familiarity renders the mix less jarring and the quality of the tracks rises to the surface. At this point there are more hits than misses - I particularly enjoy "Jamaica", "Tonight", "Wax" and "Ghosts" balanced by "Los Chikas" which shows the poor vocal mix of the attempted Beach Boys harmonies at its weakest.

Hopefully the budget for the next Theme Park record will allow them to make a more polished CD. For now this record, whilst enjoyable, does nothing to capture the charm and energy of the band's live performances, which is a real shame.

AA Battery USB Emergency Charger for iPhone 3G 4G 4S iPod Blackberry HTC Galaxy White
Offered by UK Digital Bay
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but eats batteries., 22 July 2013
I bought this to keep my daughter's iPhone going over a weekend music festival, feeling at the price you can't really go wrong.

Well, I'm pleased to report it fulfilled its purpose. I was a little disappointed to find that you only really get one charge from each set of batteries (we tried it with AA alkaline and 2400mA rechargeables with pretty much the same result) but you can pick up packs of six or eight AA batteries at your local pound shop, so for a total outlay of less than 5 we achieved what we wanted.

It did seem to drain the batteries however much or little it was actually charging, so you seem to get better results only using it when the phone is below 25% battery and avoiding using it to top-up an only sightly discharged battery.

On the plus side it's very compact - not much bigger than the batteries themselves, really. You can get better chargers, albeit at a much higher price tag, but they are bigger and heavier than this one, so if you just need something to keep in your pocket for emergency use, this is probably a much better proposition.

With hindsight, I would probably have preferred to push the boat out a bit more and get something a bit better, but it did the job and, as I said at the start, at the price you can't really go wrong.

Gold Holographic Cone Party Poppers - Pack of 10
Gold Holographic Cone Party Poppers - Pack of 10
Offered by Simply Direct ltd
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars They went pop!, 1 Feb 2013
They went pop and sprayed streamers all over my Christmas dinner - exactly as I'd wanted! It's hard to say much more about party-poppers, but these are so much more attractive than the cheap, plastic "bottle" version that I was happy to spend a little extra and buy.

The Cooking Vinyl Sampler 2013
The Cooking Vinyl Sampler 2013
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Take a chance, 1 Feb 2013
I won't pretend I like all the tracks on the album - in fact there are a couple of stinkers - but there are a few I do and certainly a few surprises (I would never have guessed, for example, that Billy Bragg's track was by, er, Billy Bragg). As a shop-window for Cooking Vinyl's current roster of artists, this collection does its job admirably.

Without reservation I'd recommend you download the album, you may well find something you like and with it being free what's to be lost from taking a chance?

Don't Ask Why
Don't Ask Why

3.0 out of 5 stars Good song - flawed "pressing", 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: Don't Ask Why (MP3 Download)
I downloaded this track because it's one of my favourite tracks on the album and my CD copy of this track has a couple of glitches on it - a common problem with the UK pressing of "Blue Boy", so I gather.

Unfortunately, the download has the exact same glitches, so I'm actually no further forward.

This track and indeed the rest of the CD is well worth a listen but the flaws in the pressing are somewhat irritating - even to someone who grew up with vinyl records!

LEGO Bricks & More 626: Large Green Baseplate
LEGO Bricks & More 626: Large Green Baseplate
Offered by Toybroker-UK
Price: 8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential part of any LEGO collection, 31 Oct 2012
OK, it's hard to get excited about a baseplate - it's nothing without lots more LEGO elements and the star rating is based on its value in combination with more bricks. Still, if you want to make buildings, you'll need a baseplate and this one is large enough for more ambitious constructions.

KC-Electronics USB Data & Charger Cable Lead for HTC Chacha
KC-Electronics USB Data & Charger Cable Lead for HTC Chacha

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, 31 Oct 2012
I bought this so my son could recharge his phone at mine, and it does that perfectly, and has also allowed me to upload some music onto my girlfriend's phone. It's hard to get excited about a cable, but this one does the job it's supposed to and for the price can't be faulted.

Black Retro Cassette Silicone Case For iPhone 4 4G
Black Retro Cassette Silicone Case For iPhone 4 4G
Offered by FT-Deal.
Price: 0.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, 11 Mar 2012
I bought this because it looked like a fun think to have - and it certainly is! It actually looks a very convincing casette tape and, if you're interested in such things surrounds the metal edges of the phone which should improve reception. The only slight gripe I have is that it is not a particularly tight fit on the phone, so the cover does tend to peel off if you stuff the phone into a full pocket. Still, this is a minor complaint and at the price there really are no negatives with this item.

Black Poster Hanger Set For 36 Inch Posters With Cord
Black Poster Hanger Set For 36 Inch Posters With Cord
Offered by iposters
Price: 5.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Simle and effective, 11 Mar 2012
I wanted a simple and inexpensive way to hang some posters in my son's room and these proved to be just the ticket. They hold the poster flat and allow them to be hung from a picture hook, so no risk of marking the walls with Blu-Tac.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase which arrived very quickly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3