Profile for mandalalinda > Reviews

Content by mandalalinda

mandalalinda

Page: 1 | 2
Tistou, The Boy With Green Thumbs (Children's Classics)
Tistou, The Boy With Green Thumbs (Children's Classics)
by Maurice Druon

5.0 out of 5 stars THE MAGIC OF GARDENING, 18 Oct. 2015
This is the most magical, original 'children's' story I have ever read with the power to change one's lifetime world view. This is a story which calls to be read out loud - in fact I read it in daily instalments to my husband and we loved sharing TIstou's bold gardening adventures. Now is the time for this story to come more into public consciousness - for its theme could not be mor relevant than it is today. TIstou is an endearing story - buy it, read it and share it.

Spanidou: God'S Snake
Spanidou: God'S Snake
by I Spanidou

5.0 out of 5 stars SURPASSED ALL EXPECTATIONS, 6 April 2015
This review is from: Spanidou: God'S Snake (Paperback)
An original and authentic voice - moving the reader through the whole gamut of emotions with the intensity and drama of a Greek Tragedy.
There is deep pain and trauma, brutality and sweet love. It's all in the mix.

A gifted author with a unique style - a work of originality. I loved it.

On Stage: Theater Games and Activities for Kids
On Stage: Theater Games and Activities for Kids
by Lisa Bany-Winters

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT THE BEST, 30 Aug. 2014
Disappointed with this book. I am glad I bought it second hand. Felt quite formulaic and as though ideas copied from others.

Mother Land
Mother Land
by Dmetri Kakmi

5.0 out of 5 stars POETIC, HAUNTING, BEAUTIFUL, 30 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Mother Land (Hardcover)
Mother Land - a hauntingly beautiful and moving biography of lives in a very special place and time. Slowly, as you turn the pages, Dmetri draws you deeper into this island world. The ravishing beauty of his poetic phraseology describing nature will entrance you.

A very special read - if you feel called, I can highly recommend it.

Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found
Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found
by Cheryl Strayed

5.0 out of 5 stars A STAR READ, 6 April 2014
I was attending a showing of 'Project Wild Thing' at Leeds University, when I saw a guy in front of me reading this book. When I saw the title 'WILD' and the single boot, I noted the details and ordered it immediately.

This book is written from the heart - authentic on every page. Let yourself be drawn into Cheryl's healing journey. You will FEEL EVERYTHING as you read. Take Cheryl's walk, through stunning landscapes - outer and inner, as she heals her grief, her loss. As you travel with her, you will feel a renewed resilience in your own journey.

I recommend unreservedly. Order it today!

Inanna
Inanna
by Diane Wolkstein

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY BRILLIANT, 15 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Inanna (Paperback)
I am in love with this book and the Story of Inanna! The co authorship of Wolkstein and Kramer works perfectly. This book is wonderfully balanced and will satisfy those who wish to luxuriate in the poetry of Wolksteins' rendering of the story/verse and those who seek the historical background to the discovery of the tablets and Sumerian history. A Classic. Lovely plates too.

Seven Flowers: and How They Shaped Our World
Seven Flowers: and How They Shaped Our World
by Jennifer Potter

3.0 out of 5 stars SOMETHING MISSING, 15 Dec. 2013
As a passionate Sunflower lover, I was disappointed with the Sunflower Section, which was not up to date. There was no inclusion of the healing power of Sunflowers at Chernobyl and Fukushima in connection with radiation. I found this a serious omission.

On many days, the book just put me to sleep - very botanical in parts and lacking the passion and enthusiasm in the writing that I was hoping for.

The Golden Key (A Sunburst Book)
The Golden Key (A Sunburst Book)
by George MacDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars A GEM OF A STORY, 15 Dec. 2013
George MacDonald's work was new to me. These tiny books thrilled me with their storytelling - so magical, so ecological and so 'bang up to date'. Full of enchantment, this story will touch you deeply if you read with an open heart. As I write this, I want to re-read this story, so this must be a very good sign! I love George MacDonald - let's spread the word.

The Light Princess (Sunburst Book)
The Light Princess (Sunburst Book)
by George MacDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNINGLY ORIGINAL, 14 Nov. 2013
I bought this story when I heard on the radio it had been made into a musical. I was surprised to discover that the book for the Musical came from a fairy tale. I had never heard of George MacDonald but I am absolutely love the wildness of his imagination and the deep connection with nature in the story. I have also bought 'The Golden Key' and continue to love his work. If you want a fairy tale 'outside the box' then reach for George MacDonald and enjoy.

Dreamers of a New Day: Women Who Invented the Twentieth Century
Dreamers of a New Day: Women Who Invented the Twentieth Century
by Sheila Rowbotham

4.0 out of 5 stars AN IMPORTANT BOOK, 25 July 2013
A very well researched and presented book by Sheila Rowbotham. It is packed full of rich quotes and connects developments in UK and the U.S. in all areas of Suffrage and the Women's Movement. However, although a very good read in the early chapters where jumping too and forth across the pond worked well, in later chapters, I found an over concentration on the U.S. The dynamic read seemed to wane towards the end of the book. I had the feeling Sheila's enthusiasm had run dry, but material was included to fill out the book and make it marketable for the U.S. market too. However, a very important contribution to this subject and I recommend without hesitation.

Page: 1 | 2