Profile for mandalalinda > Reviews

On Stage: Theater Games and Activities for Kids
On Stage: Theater Games and Activities for Kids
by Lisa Bany-Winters

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT THE BEST, 30 Aug 2014
Disappointed with this book. I am glad I bought it second hand. Felt quite formulaic and as though ideas copied from others.

Mother Land
Mother Land
by Dmetri Kakmi

5.0 out of 5 stars POETIC, HAUNTING, BEAUTIFUL, 30 Aug 2014
This review is from: Mother Land (Hardcover)
Mother Land - a hauntingly beautiful and moving biography of lives in a very special place and time. Slowly, as you turn the pages, Dmetri draws you deeper into this island world. The ravishing beauty of his poetic phraseology describing nature will entrance you.

A very special read - if you feel called, I can highly recommend it.

Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found
Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found
by Cheryl Strayed

5.0 out of 5 stars A STAR READ, 6 April 2014
I was attending a showing of 'Project Wild Thing' at Leeds University, when I saw a guy in front of me reading this book. When I saw the title 'WILD' and the single boot, I noted the details and ordered it immediately.

This book is written from the heart - authentic on every page. Let yourself be drawn into Cheryl's healing journey. You will FEEL EVERYTHING as you read. Take Cheryl's walk, through stunning landscapes - outer and inner, as she heals her grief, her loss. As you travel with her, you will feel a renewed resilience in your own journey.

I recommend unreservedly. Order it today!

Inanna
Inanna
by Diane Wolkstein

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY BRILLIANT, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Inanna (Paperback)
I am in love with this book and the Story of Inanna! The co authorship of Wolkstein and Kramer works perfectly. This book is wonderfully balanced and will satisfy those who wish to luxuriate in the poetry of Wolksteins' rendering of the story/verse and those who seek the historical background to the discovery of the tablets and Sumerian history. A Classic. Lovely plates too.

Seven Flowers: and How They Shaped Our World
Seven Flowers: and How They Shaped Our World
by Jennifer Potter

3.0 out of 5 stars SOMETHING MISSING, 15 Dec 2013
As a passionate Sunflower lover, I was disappointed with the Sunflower Section, which was not up to date. There was no inclusion of the healing power of Sunflowers at Chernobyl and Fukushima in connection with radiation. I found this a serious omission.

On many days, the book just put me to sleep - very botanical in parts and lacking the passion and enthusiasm in the writing that I was hoping for.

The Golden Key (A Sunburst Book)
The Golden Key (A Sunburst Book)
by George MacDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars A GEM OF A STORY, 15 Dec 2013
George MacDonald's work was new to me. These tiny books thrilled me with their storytelling - so magical, so ecological and so 'bang up to date'. Full of enchantment, this story will touch you deeply if you read with an open heart. As I write this, I want to re-read this story, so this must be a very good sign! I love George MacDonald - let's spread the word.

The Light Princess (Sunburst Book)
The Light Princess (Sunburst Book)
by George MacDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNINGLY ORIGINAL, 14 Nov 2013
I bought this story when I heard on the radio it had been made into a musical. I was surprised to discover that the book for the Musical came from a fairy tale. I had never heard of George MacDonald but I am absolutely love the wildness of his imagination and the deep connection with nature in the story. I have also bought 'The Golden Key' and continue to love his work. If you want a fairy tale 'outside the box' then reach for George MacDonald and enjoy.

Dreamers of a New Day: Women Who Invented the Twentieth Century
Dreamers of a New Day: Women Who Invented the Twentieth Century
by Sheila Rowbotham

4.0 out of 5 stars AN IMPORTANT BOOK, 25 July 2013
A very well researched and presented book by Sheila Rowbotham. It is packed full of rich quotes and connects developments in UK and the U.S. in all areas of Suffrage and the Women's Movement. However, although a very good read in the early chapters where jumping too and forth across the pond worked well, in later chapters, I found an over concentration on the U.S. The dynamic read seemed to wane towards the end of the book. I had the feeling Sheila's enthusiasm had run dry, but material was included to fill out the book and make it marketable for the U.S. market too. However, a very important contribution to this subject and I recommend without hesitation.

Chennai & Tamil Nadu Footprint Focus Guide
Chennai & Tamil Nadu Footprint Focus Guide
by David Stott

4.0 out of 5 stars GET THE BASICS, 4 Jan 2013
This tourist guide will give you all the basics for Tamilnadu, although I have not visited yet. My one main irritation with this book is layout. You are never quite sure which page you are on, as listings for specific towns and temple sites jump around - maybe its a good preparation for India where I guess things are often a little chaotic. The best thing is I feel equipped for the journey with this in my backpack and then can get more information on the ground when I am there. I know it is not comprehensive. For example, I want to visit the Temple of Saraswati, but it is not mentioned at all.

A Walk in the Woods
A Walk in the Woods

4.0 out of 5 stars UNIQUE MEDITATION, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: A Walk in the Woods (MP3 Download)
A beautiful, powerful voice leading Mother and Baby to connect deeply with Nature.
Ideal for Mothers who themselves love trees, walking and wish to nurture this in their baby.

Page: 1 | 2