Profile for Jo Stenson > Reviews

Jo Stenson

Hollow World
Hollow World

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Hollow World (Kindle Edition)
I love Michael J Sullivan. His imagination knows no bounds and he can always be guaranteed to provide a thoroughly entertaining read. Hollow World is brilliantly brought to life through excellent storytelling, and frankly what he writes may end up being not too far from our future. I was disappointed that it ended when it did, but then again I believe I'd have been disappointed by the story ending a further 2000 pages along. If you have six books in the pipeline Mr Sullivan, please do this fan a favour and publish them soon. Whatever genre, I will read them.

The Colony: Velocity (The Colony, Vol. 4)
The Colony: Velocity (The Colony, Vol. 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Color me entertained, 16 April 2014
This would be five stars but for two reasons; this book especially is too short and, for me, one person's pov can get a little tiring to read. However, to answer the last question in the book,I do want to know what's going on. Fabulously well written. Looking forward to book 5.

The Threshmaw (The Majia Stories Book 3)
The Threshmaw (The Majia Stories Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great, fun read, 27 Oct. 2013
Again, it was my son who read this (he's now 11!). He loved it, was constantly quoting from the book and read it at a fast pace. So much so that within a week he's moved on to Book Four and is now devouring that one. He definitely recommends this book to others of all ages.

The Ice Queen (The Majia Stories Book 2)
The Ice Queen (The Majia Stories Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars More please!, 7 July 2013
My 10 year old finished reading this a week ago, he wants to know when the next instalment will be out. Hopefully it will be soon as this series has been keeping him thoroughly entertained and engrossed. Highly recommended.

The Mark of Four (The Majia Stories Book 1)
The Mark of Four (The Majia Stories Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly entertaining, 10 Jun. 2013
My 10 year old son read this. Soon as he was finished he wanted the next instalment. Has since been bought and he's reading it as I write this. Can't say more than that.

Rise Of Empire: The Riyria Revelations (Riyria Revelations 2) (Riyria Revelations Boxset)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy at it's very best, 4 Aug. 2012
Read the first book, got me hooked but it wasn't as good as this one, probably about a four stars. This book definitely deserves the full five stars. It's brilliantly written and I love the characterisation. The kind of read that pulls you in and you just long to immerse yourself in the written word. Cannot wait to receive the third volume, though a part of me doesn't want Hadrian and Royce's story to end.

Low Town: The Straight Razor Cure
Low Town: The Straight Razor Cure
by Daniel Polansky

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your average fantasy tale, 12 July 2012
A great read and extremely well written. The setting is vividly described, not one you would want to find yourself in for sure but then it is more sunk in reality than most of your standard fantasy novels. This is more of a detective/noir novel than fantasy however, so if you're looking for your epic scale/battles/elves and the like you won't find it here. That's not to say there isn't any magic, there is, just not a lot of it. I have knocked one star off as although the main character is clearly protrayed as an anti-hero, I couldn't really find the depth of character to sympathise or root for him and I like to have that in the novels I read as a preference. Looking forward to the follow up book, hopefully it will flesh out any characterisation and the world described and continue to provide a fantastic tale of crime and punishment.

Ella's Coffee
Ella's Coffee

5.0 out of 5 stars Look forward to further instalments ...., 23 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Ella's Coffee (Kindle Edition)
I read this in one afternoon, both because of it's length and as it's not the type of read one puts down after reading the first paragraph. The story revolves around one person's (Ella's) thoughts and neurosis and has relevance in everyday life. It contains both humour, reflection and gives the reader a sense of both intruding and sympathising. The bonus story is quite melancholy but ultimately rewarding. I am glad Tony Pritchard took the time to "learn" how to write as he obviously has an abundance of imagination and insight and just needed to channel it accordingly. This he has done. I look forward to reading more tales of Ella.