Profile for paulus > Reviews

Winter: A Berlin Family, 1899-1945
by Len Deighton
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Too short a story for such a big book, 31 Aug 2011
A masterpiece from Deighton covering the life and times of a family deeply involved in the nuts and bolts of the third reich. A genuine unputdownable book that simply ended far too quickly. Perhaps I expected too much after such a detailed and credible build up through the pre hitlerite years. Perhaps there was a word limit imposed on the author? - heaven forbid. Despite being disappointed in the finished article, I still recommend this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2011 11:22 AM GMT

The Gropes
The Gropes
by Tom Sharpe
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so Sharpe?, 17 July 2011
This review is from: The Gropes (Paperback)
I am a great admirer of this magnificent author but was a little disappointed in the plot of this latest work. Is it me or did he get stuck for ideas but still had to write an ending to meet a deadline? Don't get me wrong; as in all Tom Sharpes works there are laugh out loud moments, but just not so many as usual and then at the end I felt a very uncomfortable 'is that it?' feeling. Regardless of my worthless observations, I hope to see the great Tom Sharpe back on form at some point in the future.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2012 5:12 PM BST

Classic Frankenstein Triple - Frankenstein/Bride Of Frankenstein/House Of Frankenstein [DVD]
Dvd ~ Basil Rathbone

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, brilliant,.... what's this duffer doing in the box?, 4 Jan 2011
What a treat I thought I was in for! The two timeless classics followed by one I couldn't quite recall... having watched them I can now revise my original expectations: What a treat! Two timeless classics beautifully reproduced, but then spoilt by the third disc which is an unworthy companion to the first two. It's inclusion implies that it is the chronological successor to F and B of F, whereas it is the excellent 'Son of F' that should have been included. Ah well, can't have it all.

Son of Frankenstein [DVD] [1939]
Son of Frankenstein [DVD] [1939]
Dvd ~ Boris Karloff
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant stuff, 4 Jan 2011
For me this is the best of the three 'proper',i.e. Karloff Frankenstein films. It has stood the test of time and even has a good story line. I've recently acquired all of the F dvd's and this is the one I've gone back and watched again. It really should have been the third disc in the three disc frankenstein set, instead of the truly awful excuse of a film (that shall remain nameless because I can't remember what it is called)that by it's presence in the set purports to be the natural follow on from the original F and B of F. Ah well, can't have it all.