Profile for Julian Dailly > Reviews

Content by Julian Dailly

Julian Dailly "Stop Look Listen Go" (Strand, London, UK)

Dig out Your Soul
Dig out Your Soul
Offered by NetsavesUK
Price: 3.07

3.0 out of 5 stars Overfamiliar to Millions, 5 Oct 2008
This review is from: Dig out Your Soul (Audio CD)
When things get too large, they get out of control, too difficult to direct, they take on a life of their own.

Oasis' latest album is a grandiose romp built with what feel like proper materials, hard work and detailed planning. It delivers on everything we expect: loud, anthemic, Beatles-esque, swaggering, clichéd pop hits. We look forward to being half cut in the pub, ale in hand, when it blasts out from above.

Don't get me wrong, I like this album. However, I like it in the same way I like Disney. It's not real, it's fantasy. "Dig" shares this feature with the likes of Jay-Z.

Too much layering, pastiche, posturing. Too much reference to other things. Oasis don't live in the world they describe, just as Tupac never did or Michael Jackson. They have to build up a world made of elements stolen in desperation from the experiences of others.

Consequently, we are not listening to the sounds of men and instruments, but the Oasis brand: 25% Beatles, 25% workmen on stage, 25% Rock n' roll, 10% nave working class curiosity ...it's their 6th Beatle, albatross-like...

However, as that global brand is now firmly established the album will do well. Perhaps one day something, a transport delay perhaps, will deal them the emancipating blow of providing only a guitar, microphone and unfamiliar audience un-wooed by the past.

Perhaps it time to scale back and reduce the size of the sound they are going for. For all their aspirations, most Beatles albums sound positively accoustic compared to this or any of the last 4 Oasis albums.

Right now; they're just over blown, over familiar and yet really underwhelming.

Osirus: the Official Mixtape/Parental Advisory
Osirus: the Official Mixtape/Parental Advisory
Price: 17.37

1.0 out of 5 stars Just Imagine Music, 25 Jun 2008
The modern world in which we live is lent legitimacy through some very deeply held beliefs. Not least is the idea that out of nothing can come something or, to paraphrase in modern business parlance, "value can be created". Christians, Muslims and Jews alike all follow a belief that life was "created" after a period of nothingness and therefore that the most valuable activity, reserved for a select few, is creation itself. Accordingly, businesses state their aim to "create value" - or more humbly to "add value" to what exists. Why?

Why not destroy value? Or maintain value? Why must value be constantly created and added to?

The answer is that we are never satisfied with our lot. We are prone, as humans to conclude more often than not that we lack something and so seek creation to fill the perceived void that reminds us of a time when we had nothing or less than now.

This is not because we are stupid, or selfish, mean or wrong. Principally we have an urge to validate and feel good about life. We can't really tell if we are enjoying ourselves, in an absolute sense, but we can tell if things are better or worse than when we last checked. All we need to do is to be sure there's more good stuff around, or that the bad stuff is improving.

Even though there are 6 billion people on the planet there are much less than six billion problems in the world. Because of this, we are able to develop organisations to solve the problems that employ groups of people in their work. All each group has to do is create good stuff or fix bad stuff: Nothing more.

[Adventures in viral campaigns v1.9]

In Rainbows
In Rainbows
Price: 7.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage work from a more human Radiohead, 19 Feb 2008
This review is from: In Rainbows (Audio CD)
I used to dislike the miserablism of Radiohead. I resented being told how to be depressed. That's my business. What I love about this album is that it has soul, and gives me space to breate without judging my attempts to conceptualise my own pointlessness, as OK Computer did. (We know about the pointlessness of life, you just live in it)

Here though, Thom Yorke's voice has a crunching, wavering soul to it that adds a something gloriously fallible. He's having a go and he's having fun. He's not a soul singer in the conventional sense, but here his voice gains a fantastic momentum that reminds me of the places Aretha went. I like that willingness to drop his pants, take on a new direction, which I never experienced in the clever, self defense workout of "Fitter, Happier", for example.

And it's just that reciprocity that makes me feel that finally Radiohead are about shaking hands with the audience providing more than a view of a grown men showing off their latest post-ironic, traumatic conceits.

To do this they have borrowed heavily in places both from other peoples' styles, familiar blues scales and from more mainstream emotions. A bit of Arcade Fire, a bit of Sex Pistols...This makes In Rainbows an all together more humble, second-hand, worn in record. And with that in mind I name Bodysnatchers, with its collage of influences, the finest track.

El Perro Del Mar
El Perro Del Mar

2.0 out of 5 stars More offerings from Blandinavia, 2 April 2007
This review is from: El Perro Del Mar (Audio CD)
I bought this CD on, basically, the advice of a load of reviewers and listeners that I didn't know. And boy am I glad of that fact now. That said, who am I? Anyway, I'll be brief. This is one more example of Scandinavians trying to cut and paste their way into emotional credibility by pastiching episodes in pop music history they have no business aping. Half of the tracks on this stand-off-ish, sytlistic cut and past-athon are drawn 60's and 70's "la la la lahhing" and other peoples paraphenalia. We are not, today, in some post-modern reappraisal of lollipop, going to discover the anguish and trauma of failed romance. The audience demands more than your scrap book notes. I'll not go on. I really would not buy this if you want more from your music than H&M. I give it 2 stars for starting and finishing a project.

Dynamite
Dynamite
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Generoquai, 8 Aug 2005
This review is from: Dynamite (Audio CD)
As time goes by, each one of Jay K's albums sounds successively nearer an "average" Jamiroquai sound. Each one is progressively less different than and to the last. Using statistics it is possible to establish that, at this rate by 2011 Jak K will be consecutively re-releasing the same album into perpetuity.
Far fetched perhaps, but at the outset of Jay K's musical adventure each of his bands' discs occupied a different stylistic corner: Emergency on Planet Earth was chaotic Acid Jazz, Space Cowboy gave a nod to the minimalism of house music, Traveling Without Moving was pure pop, Synchronised attempted a tribute to disco.
However, with the ingredients of the Jamiroquai formula already played out in pure form Jay K's only next step was a series of elaborate combination albums that, though ambitious in their intent, formed far less a symbiotic new form and more a virtual, stylistic "best of". Both A Funk Odyssey and Now Dynamite purely represent delivery against the standards of the Jamiroquai "brand". Not to labour the point, but the opening tracks of both the last two albums are the same "Feels so good" / "Feels just like it should".
It's a function of having so much more money and fame than your fans, and thus reduced emotional proximity to your audience, that has led to many an artist being swallowed in the mire of empty concepts and "good will" songwriting. Elton John, Michael Jackson, Oasis are conspicuous examples.
For Generoquai to get back to Jamiroquai Jay K needs to get back to that genre busting approach of the early nineties. Either that or by 2011 the law of averageness will have taken another one of pop music's leading lights.