Profile for G. Haines > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Dad's Army
Dad's Army
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars These writers and producers just aren't working hard enough to entertain us., 13 July 2016
This review is from: Dad's Army (Amazon Video)
I only got halfway through watching this and had to turn it off. I felt really sad to see all these really good actors having to perform these terrible banal lines. I tried really had to find it funny but just couldn't laugh at it. Better to try and think up a new formula than attempt to cash in on the successes of the past. These writers and producers just can't feed the monster that demands more and more high calibre entertainment everyday. They need to work harder. Any Prime Minister who could guaranty an extra episode of Coranation Street, to divert my attention, each week would get my vote.

The Noise of Time
The Noise of Time

5.0 out of 5 stars I've always liked Shostakovich's music and have read several books about him, 5 Mar. 2016
This review is from: The Noise of Time (Kindle Edition)
I've always liked Shostakovich's music and have read several books about him. This book by Julian Barnes, however, really captures the fear the composer had for his own life and that of his families and the mental turmoil he suffered as a result of the rule of both Stalin and Khrushchev. In some ways it shows even more of the 'mind games' those in power will resort to, to get what they want, rather than works by writer such as Orwell. My only slight criticism of the book is that Julian Barnes didn't refer more to Shostakovitch's music - the sheer sad bleakness of the slow movement of his 8th Symphony and the eerie, irony of death in the 15th Symphony.

Lost Highway [DVD]
Lost Highway [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Pullman

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality DVD, 8 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Lost Highway [DVD] (DVD)
This film is OK - not as dramatically inventive/different/uncomfortable as Erazerhead but OK - on my copy the picture kept changing shape, often went into darkness and then came back again - extremely poor quality. I wasn't expecting this so threw away all the packaging etc. so can't now get a refund.

Keeping Ourselves in the Dark
Keeping Ourselves in the Dark
by Colin Feltham

5.0 out of 5 stars Tackles the subjects many wish to avoid with an element of humour., 22 July 2015
If you ever thought there was a glimmer of hope for the human condition then this book is likely to extinguish it. In timely fashion Colin Feltham explores with an element of humour, from a multitude of perspectives, how especially religions, different forms of psychotherapy, philosophies and varying political perspectives consistently don't deliver what they ‘say on the tin’. Why all the pondering, overthinking and serving up revelations as truths – couldn’t humans just learn to better manage their anxieties about there being no definitive answers to many of life’s questions and live with their insecurities. Mr Feltham is also similarly scornful of those who trying and prop up their tottering justification of their own particular rose tinted view of the world through, amongst other things, becoming addicted to reading selected forms of literature to reinforce their particular avoidant perspective. He completes the book with a thorough analysis of how the ultimate subject of our old age, dying and death is avoided. The experience of our own death, however, is likely to be avoided, due to us contracting dementia and/or by being administered a mind and pain numbing cocktail of ‘end of life’ medication.

Little Playzone Playpen w/ Electronic Lights and Sounds Play Yard, 8 piece
Little Playzone Playpen w/ Electronic Lights and Sounds Play Yard, 8 piece

1.0 out of 5 stars Very useful but no one warned us that we would have ..., 16 Jun. 2015
Very useful but no one warned us that we would have to pay tax on this item as it had to be imported from the USA. This item interferes with broadband signals.

No Title Available

Keeping an Eye Open: Essays on Art
Keeping an Eye Open: Essays on Art

5.0 out of 5 stars An Illuminating Journey, 9 Jun. 2015
I was looking forward to reading this book but felt rather despondent about the first few chapters which I found a bit gossipy. It really began to get interested in it when I started to read the chapters on Bonnard and Vuillard and I was gripped by the chapters towards the end of the book which helped me come to terms more with my own ambivalance towards 'modern' art.

Reebok Ex-O-Fit Hi, Men's Hi-Top Trainers, Black (Int Black), 10 UK (44 1/2 EU)
Reebok Ex-O-Fit Hi, Men's Hi-Top Trainers, Black (Int Black), 10 UK (44 1/2 EU)

3.0 out of 5 stars Undecided but still wearing them., 5 Feb. 2015
Still thinking about the design. Could be slightly wider.

Peter Pan Live!
Peter Pan Live!
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Really enoyed thinking about why I found this version of peter pan so irritating., 31 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Peter Pan Live! (Amazon Video)
Some very well spoken actors playing at being children - captain hook didn't exactly strike fear into one's heart - the arrogance, narcissism and self-centeredness of peter pan came over pretty well - no memorable songs - the plot clunked along - our grandson loved it.

Epson 24 Series Elephant Claria Photo HD Multipack Ink Cartridge
Epson 24 Series Elephant Claria Photo HD Multipack Ink Cartridge
Offered by UK_Trade_Surplus/UK VAT INcl

1.0 out of 5 stars I think Epson XP-750 ink cartridges that are sold via Amazon, at a cheaper price, are of inferior quality., 6 Oct. 2014
I think Epson XP-750 ink cartridges sold via Amazon, at a cheaper price, are of inferior quality. No matter what trouble shooting button I pressed, every colour photo I printed turned out purple and pink.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3