Profile for toby > Reviews

Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk [Extra tracks]
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Demos, 10 Aug 2004
Some say the 4-track recordings on the 2nd CD let the whole down. Others point to the fact that JB would probably not have wanted us to hear his unfinished work. Although I would agree with the latter (the CD inlay shows excerpts from his journal; I don't just write songs for Sony), I would point out that when band members and Steve Berkowitch (executive producer), along with other top Sony chiefs, heard the demos, they all felt that here was something better than Grace. These demos give us a glimpse of what might have been. Sure, they aren't recorded well, but the beauty shines through (listen to Ben Folds 5 or Devandra Banhart for under-produced yet wonderful songs). We can't hear the true My Sweetheart The Drunk, and the songs on the first CD were to be destroyed as JB hated them. Make your own mind up about the other tracks, but these demos are the bones of what he wanted us to hear - these are the gems of this compiltation and I urge you to buy it for this alone.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2013 2:40 PM BST

Grace
Grace
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Unworldly, 10 Aug 2004
This review is from: Grace (Audio CD)
When a friend first introduced me to JB, I liked it. But nothing more. And since I have fallen in love with Grace and every JB piece of music, I have had the same reaction from friends I have shown Grace. All have fallen in love with it - and I have some very diversely influenced friends! One has to let oneself be overpowered by the music; simply close your eyes and let Mojo Pin wash over you, then bathe in the raindrop semi-quavers of Gary Lucas' guitar intro to Grace. It doesn't stop there; So Real is filled with violent melancholy, while Dream Brother (the title of David Browne's JB biography) escalates into a mix of eastern, grunge, power-rock ballad raw emotion. Buying this album could be simply the best thing you ever do - please don't think, "maybe another time"; get it and live by it. Grace could change your life.
PS. If you think nothing can get better, listen to his demo tracks on Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk.