Profile for Andrew Marriott > Reviews

Content by Andrew Marriott

Andrew Marriott "Andy" (London)

DYLON Flamingo Pink Machine Dye 200g
DYLON Flamingo Pink Machine Dye 200g
Offered by Red House Direct
Price: 7.40

1.0 out of 5 stars DID NOT ARRIVE ON TIME, 19 May 2014
I ordered this item at the last minute I will admit that. But I ordered it after having paid for next day delivery as I needed it for Saturday. It arrived on Sunday and is therefore useless to me.

Blue Original Colorful Bottom Battery Back Cover Replacement For HTC 8S
Blue Original Colorful Bottom Battery Back Cover Replacement For HTC 8S

5.0 out of 5 stars saved me buying a new phone, 14 Mar 2014
I didn't realise that without this seemingly innocuous piece of blue plastic that my phone would not work properly. HTC wanted over 20 for a replacement including postage and this was a bargain. The only thing I didn't realise was where it was coming from, so it took a little longer to arrive than I had hoped, but it works great and my phone is back to working order now.
thanks

Snoopy and Woodstock: Best Friends (Mega Mini Kits)
Snoopy and Woodstock: Best Friends (Mega Mini Kits)
by Charles M. Schulz
Edition: Misc. Supplies
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A really cool stocking filler, 14 Feb 2014
Got this for my teenage daughter who I am pleased to say has taken on the mantle of loving Peanuts. She loved this and added it to her collection!

The Mummy/Creature From The Black Lagoon [DVD]
The Mummy/Creature From The Black Lagoon [DVD]
Dvd ~ Boris Karloff
Price: 6.92

5.0 out of 5 stars a real classic, 13 Dec 2013
Two real classic films, from completely different times in the history of Universal horrors. The Mummy is scarier and more tense than any of the remakes, including the action adventure versions and the Creature has never been bettered. My kids and I watched the movie, all the extras and then looked into the sequels straight afterwards! I only wish it was still available in 3d!

The Kingdom by the Sea: A Journey Around the Coast of Great Britain
The Kingdom by the Sea: A Journey Around the Coast of Great Britain
by Paul Theroux
Price: 7.69

4.0 out of 5 stars great bit of history!, 11 Nov 2013
Theroux is travelling around Britain's coastline in 1981 when the Falklands War broke out. He is walking and taking trains and meeting people along the way, staying in guest houses that were and in some cases may still be, quintessentially 'English seaside'. His writing style is easy and not overly laden with seeking deep meaning; instead he captures vignettes of what it is/was like to be English in the early 80's, with the older generation still inextricably linked to the 'old days', when people seemed much older in their ways than they do now. Sitting in your car overlooking the sea eating sandwiches and reading the paper after driving for hours to be by the seaside. This is a slice of history about a slice of British life that stands the test of time and is worth reading, not as a guide to travelling around Britain yourself, for surely most of what Theroux saw at the time has changed, but to remind yourself how far you may have come on the journey yourself.

Honeywell Wireless Programmable Thermostat CMT927
Honeywell Wireless Programmable Thermostat CMT927
Offered by JT Atkinson
Price: 118.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive replacement, 30 Oct 2013
This is one of those things that you don't ever expect to have to buy - a replacement thermostat. What does it do? Switch the heating on and off for four months a year, about twice a day. Not a massive amount of work. The LED screen on our old one stopped working and started showing hieroglyphics about four months ago, despite battery changes and so a replacement was needed. When I found out you could buy cheaper replacements (about 100 cheaper) I was chuffed. Until I realised that the transmitter box from this unit may or may not talk to the box from a rival unit, meaning a lot of rewiring and mucking about. I bit the bullet and bought the same make as before, despite my misgivings, and just hope that this one lasts longer than 4 years. I have given it 5 stars because it does the job it is supposed to, it turned up on time and safely. Other than that its like having to review a new gear box for your car. What are you going to do without one?

Nikon COOLPIX L310 Compact Digital Camera - Black (14.1MP, 21x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD
Offered by Apple Gear
Price: 125.02

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic bargain camera, 4 Oct 2012
I bought this as a cheap family digital camera in time for our family holiday to Florida. I was expecting it to be quite complicated to operate and wasnt relishing the thought of reading huge operation manuals.
As it turned out my daughter took over the camera duties after a day of taking photos prior to leaving and 650 shots later we have a brilliant record of our holiday including videos, all of which are safely downloaded onto our PC at home ready for printing. I couldnt recommend this camera enough.

Brit Guide to Orlando 2012 (Brit Guides)
Brit Guide to Orlando 2012 (Brit Guides)
by Simon Veness
Price: 12.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing fantastic brilliant, 4 Sep 2012
I bought this guide after reading all the other fantastic reviews. My wife read it from cover to cover prior to our recent holiday in Orlando and I read sections while we were away. Either way it provided us with an amazing and in depth guide to everywhere we were planning on going, with plenty of tips and hints on getting the best out of our stay.

I would definitely buy an up to date copy of this book the next time we visit Florida and would recommend it to anyone looking for a comprehensive guide.

Abducted: True Story of Alien Abduction
Abducted: True Story of Alien Abduction
by Ann Andrews

5.0 out of 5 stars believe?, 23 Jun 2010
Like all books of this kind, of which I have read many, the main crux of this lies in whether you believe what you are being told or not.

There is no documented (by that I mean filmed, or third party verified) evidence to any of it as with all stories related to UFO phenomena that can be 100% judged as truthful and accurate and yet this story more than many touched me by its humanism and desperation to find some kind of answer rather than trying to present one.

This is an ordinary family, with ordinary and all too real problems faced with something they didnt look for, had no idea what was happening to them and in the case of the father were desperate to 'write off' as something explainable.

If this is true, and I have no real reason to doubt it, then it is potentially the most scary paranormal story ever. A family's inability to actually do anything to help one of their own from having this horror happen to him on an ongoing basis is a nightmare we would all hate to have to face. Everyone remotely interested in UFO phenomena, alien abductions, or the real truth behind what could be things that go bump in the night should read this book. I couldnt put it down, and then couldnt turn the light off when I did.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2012 11:36 AM BST