Profile for James Ingram > Reviews

Roger's Profanisaurus (2002)
Roger's Profanisaurus (2002)
by Viz

5.0 out of 5 stars So good it makes Germans laugh, 4 Mar 2014
I already had a copy of this from years ago. I came home one day to find my German girlfriend curled up on my bed in fits of laughter, hardly able to speak, and waving the book around like a trophy. This copy I bought for her, and we also bought another copy for a friend of hers back home, who has also fallen in love with it.

We are a filthy-minded bunch of people, frankly.

Destined to Witness: Growing Up Black in Nazi Germany
Destined to Witness: Growing Up Black in Nazi Germany
by Hans J. Massaquoi

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read, 4 Mar 2014
The author is the first to acknowledge (in the introduction) that he is not a professional writer. And English is not his first language.

Both of these facts do show when reading the book, but that takes nothing away from the fascinating insights he gives. Germany in the 1930s was not a black and white (sorry) society, and the way the author was treated as a child by various people from teachers to boxing coaches varies wildly. But equally fascinating is the peek into German youth as a whole at that time, and the cultural changes which they underwent as a group; from being enthusiastic about Hitler to more cynical viewpoints being adopted - and the risks which they felt they ran if they spoke out against their government.

Very worth reading for anyone interested in the period.

CatIt Senses Play Circuit
CatIt Senses Play Circuit
Price: 9.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 20 July 2012
This review is from: CatIt Senses Play Circuit (Misc.)
I made the mistake of buying a laser pointer at the same time, so kitty totally ignored everything else for a few weeks. Now, however, she has discovered this toy. In fact, her playing with it right now prompted me to write this review, as she bats the ball around in a hopeless attempt to free it and kill it.

She likes to go on it at night, so my advice would be to either leave it downstairs or pack it away at night time if (like me) you live in a flat.

When it is in a circle, she has also discovered that it makes a much more suitable bed than any of the comfy things we have bought her, and can often be found curled up in it when she isn't trying to sit on laptops.

In short: kitty approves.

Trixie 4128 Catch the Light Laser Pointer
Trixie 4128 Catch the Light Laser Pointer
Offered by Pet-Bliss - Delivering WORLDWIDE
Price: 5.69

5.0 out of 5 stars This is now her only toy, 6 July 2012
I made the mistake of ordering this item with 2 other new cat toys. Two months later, the other cat toys remain mostly shunned in the corner (though I hear her playing with them after we've gone to bed).

It's now the mouse. She'll only play in the corridor, so she can get up a good head of speed, but she whizzes up and down. The problem is stopping; I have to fake that the light came back into the lounge is now hiding. So she sits, and waits for it, suspiciously eyeing the sofa.

Trixie 43171 Jumbo Scratching Post 17  70 cm Beige
Trixie 43171 Jumbo Scratching Post 17 70 cm Beige
Offered by Country Life Services Ltd
Price: 11.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Prompt delivery, good product, 6 July 2012
Delivered free within a few days. The cat took a week or so to switch over to the board from the carpet, the chair, and peoples legs, but she seems to be getting the hang of it now.

We are about to move out of our current place, so I have laid it flat on the floor instead of hanging it on the wall, but kitty is quite happy with that - and so are my carpets!

Excession
Excession
by Iain M. Banks
Price: 7.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Science fiction at its absolute best, 4 Jun 2012
This review is from: Excession (Paperback)
The thing about this book is spoilers. Trust me: you don't want any. So be careful when reading reviews: the temptation to give away the twists is huge.

This was the first Banks book that I bought; I needed something for a train journey and the cover caught my eye. Luckily, the back cover only gave away the first couple of chapters. I couldn't put it down, and when I finally turned the last page, I simply had to browse through it again, re-reading the main plot points in light of the later turns in the plot.

It is chock full of fantastic creations which beautifully described, and situations that only Banks could imagine in the first place. Prepare to enter entirely alien cultures that somehow reflect our own society.

Not for a Sci-Fi beginner ("The Player Of Games" would be a better start if you are unfamiliar with the genre), but any Sci Fi fan should be able to pick up this book and find delight from the very start.

Pop-up Flash Diffuser (white) for Nikon D2x,D3,D90,D300,D700,D7000,D5100,D5000,D3100,D3000,Canon 40D,50D,60D,7D,5D,1D,500D,550D,600D,1000D,1100D,SX1,SX30,Olympus E3,E5,E30,E420,E450,E520,E620,E-P1,E-P2,E-PL1,Pentax ,K-r,K-x,K7,K5,Panasoic Lumix DMC-FZ45,FZ100,G2,G10,GH1,GH2,Fuji FinePix S4000,S3200,S2950,HS20.HS10,Sony Alpha A580,A390,A290,A350,A230,A33,A35,A55 Sigma Cameras DSLR

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick delivery, good and cheap product, 15 Jan 2012
Recommended by a friend, I ordered this and it arrived promptly. Tried it out that night, comparing the same shots and settings with and without the diffuser. It makes a very noticeable difference to the flash, allowing the colours to come through very nicely indeed. I need to play around with my flash on manual now, and turn it down a wee bit, but I am very impressed by the difference such a cheap addon can make. The manufacturers should take note and ship this as a standard attachment.

The Spirit Level Delusion: Fact-checking the Left's new theory of everything
The Spirit Level Delusion: Fact-checking the Left's new theory of everything
by Christopher John Snowdon
Price: 8.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks very interesting, 19 Jan 2011
Disclaimer: I have not yet read the book, but I saw the author give a talk about the subject a week ago in London. He basically took the very simple step of going to the source data which the book used, and replotting the graphs, but NOT omitting serveral countries (seemingly omitted at random and changing with each graph).

Putting the missing countries into the graph removed the correlation in all but one of the graphs he replotted - the final one had the correlation removed when he relabelled the axis to scale.

He made a very strong case for the authors of the Spirit Level having cherry-picked their data, and made the very valid point that the USA is included in almost all the graphs, and it skews the correlation significantly. I'll be picking the book up as a guide, and I'll also be replotting the graphs myself when I get the chance.

I'm in favour of more equal societies.. but not in favour of poor science.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2011 12:56 AM GMT

97 Things Every Programmer Should Know
97 Things Every Programmer Should Know
by Kevlin Henney
Price: 19.08

4.0 out of 5 stars A good and valuable read, 25 May 2010
I didn't agree with everything in the book, but I agreed with most of it. Some of it I consider a little basic (if you're having to convince developers of the value of code reviews, for example, then you've got much bigger problems than a book on good practices can sort out for you).

But on the whole I found it engaging, well-written, and well-argued.

Best of all: each chapter is at most two pages long, so everything is in nice bite-sized chunks, just right for sparking discussion or for dipping into from time to time.

I can't tell precisely how good the whole book is: my lead architect asked to borrow it before I had finished it: that was two months ago, and I've not seen it since...

First Man In Rome (Masters of Rome)
First Man In Rome (Masters of Rome)
by Colleen McCullough Doctor of Neurophysiology
Price: 8.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Sumptuous, 25 May 2010
I borrowed this book over ten years ago. I went on to buy and read the rest of the series. I've been a fan of Roman history all my life, and have read many books (fiction and otherwise), but none have been as entertaining as the Masters of Rome series.

Scrupulous research combined with a rare talent for writing gripping tales makes this an extraordinarily good book.

Page: 1 | 2