Profile for janwayne69 > Reviews

Content by janwayne69

janwayne69 "janwayne69" (UK)

Islam - An Introduction: Teach Yourself
Islam - An Introduction: Teach Yourself

3.0 out of 5 stars Very superficial, if you have read anything on the subject before, don't bother with this, 4 Nov. 2012
I had zero knowledge of Islam a couple of weeks back, but then read two random books from the library before this one.

I think this book is so simply written that it's usefulness as an introduction is severely limited. It states in very easy English that something simply IS one way or another in Islam. These statements are only very loosely backed up by references to the big book or scholarly interpretation. I personally was expecting a much more diligent introduction and even from my very limited knowledge have identified a few topics where her statement aren't universally accepted at all (i'm pretty sure the big book never mentions Adams spouses name to be eve?)

In summary, get a more high brow book if you're interested.

Contour +2 HD Handsfree Action Camera
Contour +2 HD Handsfree Action Camera
Offered by Surfdome

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent camera but software lets it down, 14 Oct. 2012
People expect different things from a helmet cam, so my review is judging this camera based on my specific expectation rather than a general review.

Of course, primarily, I wanted good quality video footage and I think this camera takes decent video at the various settings and I won't bother going into the details, you can see that on youtube. HOWEVER, I don't think it takes better footage than the current leading cam on the market, the goproHD 2, which is significantly older and much cheaper, has a huge fan base etc....

I've also been waiting for good GPS integration (which the gopro does not offer), and I think the contour 2 does that very well indeed. Lock on is quick and accurate.

HOWEVER, the PC software which you need to edit the video does not offer the most basic cutting features. It only lets you take 30, 60 or 90 second snippets out of the main video. You could edit the video with any other editing software, HOWEVER that will eliminate all GPS data in the video!!! There are ways around it involving exporting and importing gps data etc but it is very clumsy. Considering the price of this camera I would have expected to edit the video without losing that what makes it interesting to me, the GPS data. You can put up to 32GB memory in the camera, at full hd that translates to 300 minutes of video. And the software does not let you edit it. Dealbreaker.

The bluetooth preview on your mobile phone is a great feature.

One thing that I have never seen or cared about before: the manual of this camera is a joke. It does not tell you the most basic things about the cam and its functions. I'm in my 20s and never thought I'd want to read a manual, but with the options this camera has to offer, a comprehensive manual is essential if you don't want to spend weeks figuring out what the best settings for you are.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2012 4:21 PM GMT

Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II 16 GB Sim Free Smartphone
Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II 16 GB Sim Free Smartphone
Offered by Shelfone™

3.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget, but battery makes this a failure., 31 May 2011
Replaced Iphone 3GS with the Galaxy S2. Here is the summary:

-The Samsung is pretty powerful, everything is super nice and smooth.

-Display is very large and lets you read web content very well, also very bright. And that is the BIG problem with this:

-I regularly kill the battery within a day. According to the "Battery usage" app on my samsung, 50% of my battery power goes towards powering the screen. I have my screen set to maximum brightness because.... why wouldn't you? Yes, if you want to conserve energy, you can turn down brightness, but.... why should you have to?? The battery should allow me to play around with this phone off and on during the day without running out of battery. I killed the battery within 5 hours on Friday whilst using the phone a fair bit. I'm sorry, but in my opinion, this makes this a failed product. "Oh sorry Sir, yes, you did just purchase this flagship Porsche, but you shouldn't go faster than 50 in it because otherwise you will run out of juice within 100 miles. " It's just a joke, I regret having bought this product.

-Anyone who tells you that the android apps are as sophisticated, intelligent and polished as the iOS apps is lying. They might get there in a few years time, but they're not there yet. If you like your apps (and I did) don't switch to Android.
Comment Comments (24) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2011 2:51 PM BST

Revo Axis Internet/DAB/FM Clock Radio with iPhone/iPod Dock and 3.5-inch Touchscreen - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad sound quality and weak WLAN reception, 13 Jan. 2011
I never had a bed side iphone dock / radio so I thought this would be the perfect combination!

It looks ok, the touchscreen and wheel feel quite solid, but overall, you get a strong sense of plastic.

My main problem with this thing is that for this price, I expected half decent playback quality of DAB and internet radio. However, the speaker must be so small and cheap that you have to turn the thing up 3/4 of the way before you actually hear anything, and even that only works if there is complete silence in a room! So, unless, you just want to be gently woken by radio whispering, this device is entirely unsuitable.

Another problem is the weak reception of the WLAN antenna. My Iphone, which has pretty bad reception as it is, had two out of three bars where I wanted to set up the REvo. However, the Revo half the time didn't detect the WLAN, and when it did, the connection wasn't strong enough to connect. That makes it comletely useless for the bedroom, because who has their WLAN router sitting in the bedroom, and I think that is where it would need to be to connect!!