Profile for Bookman > Reviews

Bookman

Before We Met
Before We Met
by Lucie Whitehouse

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed reading this gripping page turner while on holiday in ..., 9 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Before We Met (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading this gripping page turner while on holiday in Asia. Plenty of twists and turns, as the reader tries to work out whether Mark is a good or bad person. The uber geek in me couldn't help being irritated by some minor mistakes, which the author's male, sporting, business or just similarly geeky friends could perhaps have helped her avoid (Harlequins is a rugby union team, not league; one goes onto the A4 at Hammersmith, not the A40; and the proposed sale of Mark's business to another company would have been just that, a sale, not a buy-out). However, this barely detracted from a thoroughly entertaining read - ideal holiday material, well plotted, with very believable characters and excellent twists. I will certainly buy other books by this talented writer.

The Real Great Escape
The Real Great Escape

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable piece of history, 25 May 2013
This was a really fascinating book. It told me a lot of things I didn't know about the famous event and the people involved, and it gripped me so that I was keen to finish it even when I was meant to be doing something else!

Something I'm Not
Something I'm Not

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and feel-good, 25 May 2013
This review is from: Something I'm Not (Kindle Edition)
I was staying in a house where this book was on the shelves. I read it because I have also chosen not to have kids and I found it a very enjoyable read. i liked the way the main character's friends were so much a part of her life, because that's like my life, and I liked the way they all shared an interest in musical theatre. The scene at the rehearsal is very funny. After I read the book, I came here and saw the reviews and am really surprised at how angry some of the readers are, complaining that the book doesn't do certain things - as if it should fit their view only. I think they should just get a life, and be kind about a book which obviously shows a different viewpoint to theirs. I liked it.

How To Get Filthy Rich In Rising Asia
How To Get Filthy Rich In Rising Asia

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read but a bit strange, 25 May 2013
I found the story really easy to follow and liked the way you got to see the whole life of the man, but I also thought it was a bit vague at times and I finished the book with not much impact.

Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus: A Practical Guide for Improving Communication and Getting What You Want in Your Relationships: How to Get What You Want in Your Relationships
by John Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful book, 6 Feb. 2013
I liked this book and the examples it gave about how men and women think about situations differently. It made me think about how I jump to conclusions that my view is the right view, so now I take time to think that at least the other person has their own point of view, even if I don't agree with them! The writer is like a friend who is giving you good advice.

Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
by Helen Fisher

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensible advice, but quite wordy, 6 Feb. 2013
This book has some good things to say about why we stay in love relationships, when we think we are falling in love it is often about something in our past. I felt I was at a lecture with someone who is very good at their subject but I am not sure I understood everything I read.

Happy Relationships at Home, Work & Play
Happy Relationships at Home, Work & Play
by Lucy Beresford

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful + easy read about Happiness, 6 Feb. 2013
I like reading self-help books like this, but they don't always offer anything concrete to take away and use. I found the Top Tips very helpful and I liked the bit which said that to have a good relationship with others, we need to have a good relationship with Ourselves (there is a whole chapter on this). I also thought the sections about Happiness were helpful and clear; we don't all need to be happy all the time, being content is ok. I felt more inspired to work on myself after reading this than I have after reading other self-help books. Hope the other people in my life are ready for the new me!