Profile for M. D. Forrester > Reviews

Content by M. D. Forrester

M. D. Forrester (Hertfordshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
24L Air Compressor - 9.6 CFM, 2.5 HP, 1.5 KW, 230V, 24L, 115 PSI
24L Air Compressor - 9.6 CFM, 2.5 HP, 1.5 KW, 230V, 24L, 115 PSI
Offered by Parker Products Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars It looked like a plug that had been plugged in and pulled ..., 16 Mar. 2016
This compressor is dirt cheap for what it is but mine arrived with a few issues. When i went to plug the compressor in the plug pins were all bent and showed obvious signs of either manufacturing defect or second hand use. It looked like a plug that had been plugged in and pulled out abit so the pins could arc and burn. I did contact the seller who did acknowledge the defect but didn't really give any explanation for how it could of happened but to be fair they did offer me £1 to buy a new plug to put on the end of it.

Compressor makes pressure quickly but it is very very loud. The small tank means its not really much use for larger air tools because everytime you undo a bolt or nut you will have the compressor start up and deafen your work area. Like i said thou for the money its dirt cheap and you could argue that the compressor and motor are worth that money on there own. When you pay £80 you don't expect much and i would say this is more than value for money.

I have attached the photos of the plug
Comment Comment | Permalink

Thermometer-Hygrometer Instrument Room Control Black-White
Thermometer-Hygrometer Instrument Room Control Black-White
Offered by Wetterladen - Freizeit- und Sportartikel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little gauge, perfect for my garage, 2 Feb. 2016
I needed a temperature and humidity meter for my garage to check that my dehumidifier was doing the job. It seems pretty accurate and shows to me that the dehumidifier is working correctly as its programmed to cut off at 50% and according to this gauge it is cutting off as required.

FIXMAN 159392 London Grey Shelf Bracket Display Box - Set of 20
FIXMAN 159392 London Grey Shelf Bracket Display Box - Set of 20

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little brackets, 2 Feb. 2016
Great cheap little brackets. I have used them in my garage and with a few of them and an old scaffold board they provide a very sturdy shelf.

TP-LINK Archer C2 AC750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Cable Router (2.4 GHz 300 Mbps, 5 GHz 433 Mbps, USB Port for Storage Sharing, Printer Sharing, FTP Server and Media Server, IPv6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wifi access point and 10x better than what the broadband provider supplies, 23 Jan. 2016
We recently moved into a house built in the early 60s. Our internet provider (Sky fibre pro) Supply a sky hub box which has the router and wifi built in. I say wifi but it clearly isn't fit for purpose.

My computer is located in the same room as this sky box and even then it can only connect at 120mps and 4 bars of signal. Whenever i was carrying out speedtests on our broadband i was getting crap readings and low speeds and i noticed during large file transfers the speed on the wifi connection would drop massively. Sometimes down to about 40mb.

I decided to bite the bullet and connect up this TP-Link 5G router. I have previously used TP Link wifi access points and always had good performance so i expected this to work well. Straight away after setting it up quickly the difference was noticable. Everything loads up quicker and speed wise im always hovering around the 300mbs connection speed to the router and that doesn't change even during file transfer. I can now pick up the wifi signal in the back of the garden where as before there was nothing.

I knew this wifi access point would be a good buy and it does the job perfectly. If im honest thou its doing a job it shouldn't have too thou as whats the point of a skyhub if it doesn't have good wifi.

DC12V 20W Super Bright Outdoor LED Floodlights,100W Halogen Bulb Equivalent ,Warm White Security Lights, Floodlight

5.0 out of 5 stars Very bright floodlight, 23 Jan. 2016
I have been converting my garage lighting over to 12v for a couple of reasons.

I plan to fit some solar panels to the roof and that will provide some power to the lighting and a small inverter. 12v is obviously safer than mains and the floodlights are dirt cheap. I have fitted a ring of 5x10w lights and although they do light the garage up it was lacking some light. I fitted one of these today and it could of lit up the whole garage on its own. Its very bright.

I have another one to fit and i think after that lighting wise im pretty much sorted. It will cut my lighting for the garage from 200watts down to about 90watts. Quite a big saving.

Spear & Jackson 8100RS Razorsharp Telescopic Ratchet Anvil Lopper
Spear & Jackson 8100RS Razorsharp Telescopic Ratchet Anvil Lopper

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the tougher jobs, 23 Jan. 2016
I needed to get a set of shears for trimming a bush we have in our back garden. The ratchet effect saves alot of wear and tear on your hands and makes cutting larger branches a breeze. I used one of these to cut down a butterfly plant that had taken over most of a wall and garden and it made short work of it.

How long it will last is anyones guess but it does the job now and i have no reason to think it will break easily. It seems pretty tough
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2016 4:40 PM GMT

CrazyFire® Outdoor Wireless Solar Powered LED Wall Light Lamp with PIR Motion Sensor 400 Lumens IP65 Waterproof Rechargeable LED Solar Motion Sensor Wall Light with 32 Super Bright LEDs for Porch Garden Balcony Patio Pathway (Black)
Offered by RESON

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little LED light, perfect for south facing gardens, 4 Jan. 2016
Great little solar light. I have purchased two of these after getting a lesser 9 LED version and being abit disappointed. The 9 LED version would be completely flat after a few hours

I'm a realist when it comes to solar generation so i know that expecting a solar panel of this size to generate enough electricity for the light to stay on dimly all night is not realistic, even more so with the low winter sun. I brought these purely to use as a security light for my garage and the rear door to our property. I set the operating switch to the 3rd position so its solely controlled by the PIR and when it senses movement the light operates at its full brightness for a few seconds. When there is no movement the light switches off completely and saves energy.

Its perfect for the job i require and its made lighting the rear garden very easily with no need for fused spurs and expensive wiring. Its no LED Floodlight but it does the job and will no doubt be brighter with alot more charge.

Very good light with the added bonus of a removable battery incase it ever gets abit tired!

Weather Station With Outdoor Sensor / Transmitter - Wireless Weather Station Gadget by Think Gizmos (Trademark Protected)
Offered by Paramount Zone COM UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good unit with some minor issues, 4 Jan. 2016
Not a bad piece of kit although it could be improved in a good few ways

1. The screen is pretty poor quality and has to be viewed at quite a narrow angle to appear clear and this is even with the mains power adapter attached.
2. The outside unit could of had a mounting bracket that it clipped to. This would mean rather than drilling you could of used abit of 3M tape to attach it to the wall.

Other than those issues its pretty good. The reason i got mine was to measure the difference of temperature and humidity within my garage compared to just outside. It confirmed that my dehumidifier is doing a good job.

electriQ 7000 BTU Portable Air Conditioning Unit Mobile Air Conditioner 900 W - White

2.0 out of 5 stars No good as a heat pump. Very good at producing ice thou...., 24 Dec. 2015
I picked up one of these for £150 and i was mainly interested in the heat pump option so that i could use it as a cheap efficient way to heat my garage whilst working in it. I didn't want it to be stupidly hot but just warm enough to take the edge of it and with the dehumidifier function built in it would also keep everything dry.

I drilled a hole through the wall and connected everything up in heat mode and switched it on. Ambient temperature was about 13c and the heat output was pathetic in all honesty. I thought i would give it a chance and left it. When i came back the outlet for the cold air was barely blowing any air out and when i looked at the cold side of the coil the entire side was covered in a huge block of ice. Now the unit claims to have frost protection but i cant see this from where im standing. I continued to leave it running and the ice just got worse. At this point i got pissed off and disconnected it. Having read abit more into it i probably expected too much from this unit but basic things like not freezing up into a block of ice should be standard on the unit. I have opted for another heat pump which has a specific heat setting and claims it can operate at temperatures of 7c and still produce decent heat.

I would avoid this and its sister 9000btu unit and go for something with more electronic controls. This would probably do the job of cooling a room in the summer very well but as a heat pump its absolutely rubbish. I have ordered an airflex 14000 so hopefully i will have some more joy with that.

EcoAir DD322 Classic Desiccant Dehumidifier, 10 L
EcoAir DD322 Classic Desiccant Dehumidifier, 10 L

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dehumidifier, works great in double garage, 28 Nov. 2015
I brought this out of desperation in some respects. We moved into a house with a detached double garage. Originally i tried an old air conditioner with heat pump built in to try and dry out the room and heat it up but within 15 minutes of running the core was like a frozen block because of the excessive moisture and lack of heat. I then tried a compressor type dehumidifier which i left on and it removed some water but no where near the amount it was claimed by the 12l. Once the temperatures dropped it was removing hardly any water and the humidity in the garage was still 85%.

That sort of level of humidity means you get condensation everywhere and any cardboard boxes etc soak up the water and go all mushy. I brought one of these desiccant dehumidifiers and put it in the garage around 6pm. When i got back at 10pm i could see the continuous drain was full of water and i could hear the water actually running inside the unit as it worked. The room humidity in this time had already dropped down to less than 70%. I have just checked the unit now 12 hours later and its running in economy mode and the room is nice and dry.

It does use alot of power but on the plus side it is working so i would rather use the power and have it work then pay for a compressor type that runs all day and struggles to remove even a litre of water.

I'm very impressed with this unit and chuffed that finally i have something thats going to be up to the job i brought it for. Very easy to fit a constant drain. I brought a 16mm drill bit to go with this which is more than good enough for getting through the wall so you can install the drain hose without any real effort.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6