Profile for Dharmasteve > Reviews

Content by Dharmasteve

Dharmasteve "dharmasteve" (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Way Down We Go
Way Down We Go

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, 25 April 2016
This review is from: Way Down We Go (MP3 Download)
Great Song

Musical Fidelity MF-200 Headphones
Musical Fidelity MF-200 Headphones
Offered by AZNEW

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 16 Nov. 2015
Reviewing headphones is not a simple matter. Reviewing by just listening to a single pair of headphones will tell us much, but not tell others who wish to to buy a set of headphones very much. We may like a particular headphone a lot, but it is only when heard against other headphones does a clearer picture emerge. So this review for the MF200's is in comparison to the following headphones that I have here at the moment. The PSB M4U-1, AKG K551, Philips SB9500, Musical Fidelity MF100, Yamaha HPH-200, Grado SR80E, Yamaha Pro 400, Monster Dna Pro 2, Monster Inspiration Active, AKG K545, and Monster Dna.
Many of these headphones sound fantastic. My favourites are the Monster DNA Pro 2, the Musical Fidelity MF-100 and the Yamaha Pro 400. The MF-100's have a similar sound to the hero of this review, the MF-200's, tonally. All the other headphones suddenly sound very slightly fuzzy in comparison to both the Musical Fidelity headphones. The Monster Dna Pro 2 headphones are superb when sitting just listening to music. Changing over to the Musical Fidelity MF-200's changes the experience. Even the Monster, noted for it's clarity, definitely sounds a little fuzzy when compared. Where the MF-100's and MF-200's differ is in sound-stage. The MF-200's have a spectacular sound-stage. Best I have heard by far. Width, height and depth all figure in the mix giving a genuine live feeling to the listening experience. Quite simply the MF-200's sound amazing. BUT there is a big BUT. The MF-200s are an extremely uncomfortable headphone. They are extremely well built with a solid metal frame, but the frame has the tightest clamping force I have felt on a headphone. I very quickly had to make a decision whether to keep them. I had bought at an extremely good price, otherwise I might have returned them. I made an on the spot decision to get used to them. So now some weeks later I am used to them and can say that purely for sound these are astonishing. The have a perfect synthesis of Bass, Mid and Treble. Bass is fully there and accurate too, but compared to Beats or even Monsters, there much less in quantity, but much more in realistic sound. Bass strings can be heard as they are and not just as some generic noise. Drum skins are well reproduced, all instruments are immaculately separated on tracks that show this. The MF-100's do not have the discomfort problems, the plastic frame being much more accommodating. Sound wise they are tonally the same but the MF-200's just sit one in the concert hall, the MF-100's play lovely sounding music without the sense of 'being there'. For those in the know, Musical Fidelity are a British Company, who have a strong reputation for good sound, along with a little quirkiness. My first amplifier that I loved was from them, the B1. Are the MF-200's worth £200. For sound yes, yes, yes. For comfort, no, no, no.
They come fixed wire, that is truly tangle free. The wire has a small button to change tracks and a particularly good built in mike if you use them with a phone. There are some replacement ear pads included in the Box. Volume output will be good enough for some phones. My Sony Z3 is loud enough at using them at home and from the little Fiio X1 DAP there is miles enough volume. Adding the Fiio E11 mini amplifier to the X1 brings out a stunning sound from these cans. Would not wear them on the street without a little amplification. The MF-200s are a fast, dynamic, musical, and clear headphone. But those of you who like a warm, dark headphone may not like these.

MUSICAL FIDELITY MF100 HEADPHONES
MUSICAL FIDELITY MF100 HEADPHONES
Offered by Bentham Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely musical headphone., 5 Nov. 2015
Amazing headphones for this offer of under £45.00. A high end headphone that integrates highs, midrange and bass perfectly. This headphone has a relatively fast and taut sound, with a very nice tone. If you like a warm, dark, or bass extreme headphone these are not for you. If you like great musicality, realistic bass, fast rhythm and great tonality these are the ones. Good width of sound-stage but not so good three dimensionally compared to the excellent MF200's. Very well made, a mixture of a strong plastic headband, and metal holding the earcups to the headband. Very nice faux leather pads, which are replaceable. A spare set of earpads are included. The cable is genuinely tangle free. To me they are fairly comfortable, especially compared to it's upmarket sibling, the MF200, which are extremely uncomfortable (but amazingly high sound quality). I haven't even begun to break these in yet so the sound quality will hopefully improve. At what level do these MF100's compete? Although at the £200 level there may be headphones with better build, as far as sound is concerned these headphones are superb and outdo those £200 headphones that I own or have used. Musical Fidelity have a history of great gear at good prices and they have really shown their skill here.

TOPPING TP21 Class T Digital Mini Amplifier with Headphone 25 WPC
TOPPING TP21 Class T Digital Mini Amplifier with Headphone 25 WPC

5.0 out of 5 stars Headphone out underrated, 23 Sept. 2015
I was a collector of mini amps with Tripath and Texas chips. Being honest other T-amps were slightly better sounding than this amp, but my review is not to concentrate on that, as this amp sounds extremely good, but not at the top end of T-amps. What makes this amp exceptional is the headphone out. Other's quite simply do not have the headphone out. Some pro reviewers have been ultra critical and treated it as a meaningless addition to the amp. I must differ. I would put it in the bracket of my Fiio E11 Kilimanjaro relative to quality of output. Not up to the better stand alone headphone amps, but totally listenable. I would recommend better headphones to get the best. Using my PSB M4U-1 headphones the sound is detailed if mildly veiled at the bass end. No it's not the best, but to get a reasonable quality headphone amp with a pretty high quality Tripath Amplifier for this sort of money is not to be found anywhere but here. This is a great value amp/headphone amp that will give a lot of pleasure to most who purchase it. It drives all my headphones but test it first with ultra high impedance headphones. I am using it with my Fiio X1 DAP/MP3player switched to line-out, and using the volume control of the Topping TP21.
Note:-
Mobile phones will not get much volume from the headphone amp. The Fiio X1 happens to have an excellent line out so it gets a good volume. Of course the X1 sounds great without using an amplifier. But purely as an amplifier the TP21 and many other Tripath amps outperform very expensive HiFi amplifiers. Amplifiers based on the Texas Instruments TPA 3116 and TPA 3118 chips also can outperform conventional HiFi amplifiers, often costing hundreds of pounds. Viva La Tripath Amp. The best Tripath amp I have heard is the Amptastic Mini 1. It's a little more expensive but is made in Cambridge, England. It is wonderful but like gold dust to get hold of.

A Fearless Heart: Why Compassion is the Key to Greater Wellbeing
A Fearless Heart: Why Compassion is the Key to Greater Wellbeing
by Thupten Jinpa

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Book, 6 Aug. 2015
The meaning of life. Compassion definitely half the equation.

Vet's Kitchen Cat Food Salmon & Brown Rice Complete Adult
Vet's Kitchen Cat Food Salmon & Brown Rice Complete Adult

5.0 out of 5 stars Cat loves it, 6 Aug. 2015
My cat loves it.

Nothing But Tea Golden Starfruit Sencha 250 g
Nothing But Tea Golden Starfruit Sencha 250 g

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 6 Aug. 2015
Nice tea, but a sweet aftertaste rather than the fruity taste I like, so needs a bit more starfruit. Definitely a refreshing tea that leaves a feelgood factor. I do drink it regularly.

AGPTek A06 8GB Bluetooth MP3 Player 50 Hours Music Playback MP3 Lossless Sound Entry Hi-Fi Music Player(Color Red)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound, strange software, 2 Aug. 2015
If this review was on sound quality and battery life I would give it 5*. Both are astonishing. Sound is up there with my Fiio X1. Battery life extraordinary. Seems to be forever, probably about 30-50 hours. I'm sure many of you know what is coming next. The software leaves a lot to be desired. Even once you get used to it, it's hard to reach what you need but you get used to it. I have seen worse and I don't think that the irrational button presses may be a deal breaker for all. For some though it will be a deal breaker. The sound is better than the Sandisk Clip +, but the clip has more sensible and logical software. The build of the X06 is rubbery plastic, but very solid, and feels good in the hand. The all metal finish and larger size of the Fiio X1, though, exudes quality, but the good quality plastics of the X06 make more sense, and in a funny way I prefer them. You can get this cheaper direct from China but whatever way you do purchase this little player the sound quality is exceptional for the price point. And another major good point is that it goes loud and can run most headphones at a good volume. Many of you will know how important that is. I use some big PSB M4U-1's with it and it sounds brilliant. I do use it a lot. The bluetooth function works. Some have complained it does not work easily, I had no problem. It sounds quite good, but because it is not APTX bluetooth the quality of sound dips a little. Maybe better if bluetooth is your main reasoning for this little player to use an APTX phone. In that regard my Sony Z3 gives a much better Sound Quality. But with wired headphones the X06's sound quality is far better than the Sony Z3 and much louder too. Because the inbuilt 4gb memomory and the SD card seem to have no connectedness, it may be best to just use the sd drive rather than select each drive as the player is used. One excellent feature of this little DAP is that compressed MP3 and WMA files at 128kbs sound very good and negate the need to buy "true" flac files. Worth buying if you are tolerant of the way the GUI/firmware works

TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone (Blue)
TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone (Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars good value earphone, 27 July 2015
These TTPOD T1E headphones are quite an unusual design. Although they are unusually slanted to go in the ear, in fact both the earpieces can go in either ear, and it is hard to know which way round is correct because there is no indication on the earpiece. First the small negatives. The sound-stage is limited in width and depth, but it's not a deal breaker. I find bass is not as present as some are saying. My various Sony earphones leave these behind. My Brainwavz M5 have similar highs but a more extended bass with more impact.
The positives really tell the story. The clarity of this headphone is exceptional, and the dynamics and pace really makes music sound expressive and cause the foot to tap. Midrange is really good and highs are revealing, although lacking the detail of the best. For vocal music and pacey rock these are hard to beat. I have had many, many earphones and headphones from cheap to dear, but very few locate the midrange really well but these get that pretty right. We are talking about twenty something quid here and for that price they are towards the top of that price in the earphone tree. If you like a bright, pacey, dynamic, tuneful earphone these are for you, but if you like a warm earphone that emanates from a black or neutral background look elsewhere.

Brainwavz M5 In-Ear Noise Isolating Headphones - Black
Brainwavz M5 In-Ear Noise Isolating Headphones - Black
Offered by Advanced MP3 Players

5.0 out of 5 stars Have had these 9 months now, 20 July 2015
I have quite few pairs of headphones and IEM's. Somehow I have ended up a bit of a collector of midrange products. I have heard just a few high end products because it's impossible to find somewhere to check them out. With IEM's it's impossible for cleanliness issues. So in general I buy on a mixture of reviews/special offers together. In headphones I tend to use my PSB M4U-1's and Philips SHP9500's. In my IEM's I tend to use my vsonic vsd3s and these Brainwavz M5. I ordered a different pair of Brainwavz earphones but received these by mistake. Because of heath reasons I never got a chance to do a return so I was stuck with them. I did not like them because there was no apparent bass. I have a pair of Havi B3 Pro 1's which have a lovely treble and midrange but no bass at all which I now find thoroughly unlikable. Strangely I persevered with these M5's and put on a larger ear tip and after a while a REAL bass began to emerge. Treble and midrange are now beautifully integrated with the bass. The fact that none of my on ear or over the ear headphones shame these M5's is a testament to their quality of sound. They are well made and do look very nice in black. I use them all the time out and about and I have about 10 pairs of IEM's. I recommend them but be patient they do open up.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6