Profile for zippy72 > Reviews

Jade Steel Presents the Emerald Triangle
Jade Steel Presents the Emerald Triangle
Offered by booklore

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 26 Jun 2014
I'm not quite sure why I bought this. I suppose I thought it might be worth a risk. I was wrong. There's a comic book in the CD cover that sort-of acts as an intro to the thing. There are spelling and grammar mistakes in the text of the comic, of course. And the music... umm... part metal, part country, part indie. I wouldn't say it's dull - I haven't been able to tolerate listening to it long enough to get bored. It's not that it's badly played, because it isn't. The singer is perfectly in tune, too. It's just... the songs are genuinely terrible. Sorry.

Jazz Classics
Jazz Classics
Offered by gowingsstoreltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Jazz Classics (Audio CD)
This would be more accurately titled "Kenny Ball and Friends in Concert". None of the performances are particularly engaging, and it generally goes from lacklustre to mediocre via soulless. I imagine that if you're a fan of any of the artists featured, it's one just for the completist only.

Sailor HighAce Neo Beginners Fountain Pen - Steel Nib - Fine - Orange Body (japan import)
Offered by ACTIVE JAPAN uk

1.0 out of 5 stars Non-standard cartridges, 26 Jun 2014
Bought this to use with some nice colour cartridges I'd bought. Unfortunately it doesn't take standard cartidges. Extremely disappointed. Never used it, straight in the bin.

Blue LED Display Watch - Curved Fan Display of Lights
Blue LED Display Watch - Curved Fan Display of Lights
Offered by coolfashionstore

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you remember the future?, 20 Jun 2014
I have one criteria for watches. Just one. Whenever I look at it, in my head I need to see Robert Culp, playing the murderer in an episode of Columbo, consulting his watch to time the murder to perfection. In the other half of the screen, the victim walks through an empty car park. All we can hear are footsteps, and an achingly fashionable 1970s modern jazz score. This watch fulfils that crucial criteria perfectly.

This is very much a 1950s or 60s view of what the future would be. Or even a deeply fashionable early 70s look. So it's not only futuristic but a bit retro at the same time. Most importantly, it's fun.

There are two practical issues though: it's very difficult to look at the time if you're carrying things. With a normal watch, no problem, but here you have to press a button. Not good if you're in a hurry either.

The other downfall is the width of the strap, which is almost at its full extent, even on my spindly arms.

If you're like me, you'll love this. That said, I only own 2 Blu Rays, and one of them is Metropolis. So draw your own conclusions :)

Fleur De Paris
Fleur De Paris
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compilation, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Fleur De Paris (Audio CD)
I bought this really after seeing someone recommend it in another review - and as it was rather a bargain, why not? Turns out to be a great little compilation - "La Mer" by Charles Trenet is wonderful, and it's something I've been looking for for years (without, of course, knowing either the name or the singer).

There are other gems on here - too many to mention them all - but there's Edith Piaf, Maurice Chevalier, Yves Montand and the great Josephine Baker. Seriously, there is absolutely no filler on here. Listening to myself, I can imagine sitting in a café in Paris, on a rainy afternoon, slowly sipping coffee and watching Paris glide by.

Of course, if you'd prefer all your lyrics to be in English, go buy "Tribute To Edith Piaf", which is in English. This isn't - it's the original artists, iconic recordings and excellent sound quality.

Go on - you know you want one.

Andrew James Red Premium Bread Maker With Automatic Ingredients / Nut And Raisin Dispenser - Includes 2 Year Warranty
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes good bread, 7 Jun 2014
But get a decent book of recipes, because all the ones I've tried from the book that comes with it are absolutely awful.

Sex Power
Sex Power
Offered by Ginger Music - Progressive Rock

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like Vangelis, you'll love this..., 6 Jun 2014
This review is from: Sex Power (Audio CD)
...although, to be honest, you'll probably love the fact that this sells for rather a lot less than vinyl copies of either of the two albums included on it. Sound quality on both is pretty good, actually, and I can't tell much difference between my copy of 'Fait...' and the master presented here, so I presume Sex Power is mastered pretty well too - it certainly sounds good enough to my ears.

Easy Fit Satellite Signal Amplifier Booster & Patch Lead by electrosmart®
Easy Fit Satellite Signal Amplifier Booster & Patch Lead by electrosmart®
Offered by electrosmart

1.0 out of 5 stars Makes no difference, 6 Jun 2014
Makes no difference. At. All.

Seriously.

How can this be an amplifier? It has no power input. Now, my electronics experience is not exactly one of my key skills, but I do seem to recall something about how getting more power out of a circuit is pretty much a perpetual motion machine - in other words, to get a boosted signal out, you need some power in.

If you think this makes any difference whatsoever, perhaps you'd like to buy some snake oil? Or maybe you'd be interested in this partly used bridge I've got a line on a sale of...

BATTERY FOR APPLE MACBOOK 13" WHITE MAC A1185 A1181
BATTERY FOR APPLE MACBOOK 13" WHITE MAC A1185 A1181
Offered by Tech Global

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 6 Jun 2014
First time I've bought a third-party laptop battery and had it not only charge to 100% capacity, but not say "service battery". Excellent product, thoroughly recommended.

Doctor Who and the Tenth Planet
Doctor Who and the Tenth Planet
by Gerry Davis
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Primarily for fans, this one, 18 May 2014
This is a competent adaptation of the scripts for the first Cyberman story, "The Tenth Planet". While episode 4 of the original TV version may be the most sought-after of all time, you'll probably find reading the book just as enjoyable as if you were watching the real thing.

As usual, the language is simple - this is written for children, after all - and it's a quick read. But it's really enjoyable, and fills a good few hours.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4