Profile for zippy72 > Reviews

Content by zippy72

zippy72

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Apple Iphone 4 , 4S Quality White Slim Top Flip Case Cover Includes Screen Protector And Polishing Cloth
Offered by BONAMART CO UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product. Amazing price., 13 May 2012
The quality on this is quite amazing. Really, for the price I don't see how you could ask for more. The case I had for my previous phone was £20 and this is the same quality. So far I've used it for about three weeks, and it's robust.

The magnets are really strong, too. Which can prove useful, or not, as the case may be.

It also doesn't cover the front of the phone, holding it safely in the sides. That's really nice, because there's no flappy bits obstructing anything. It's hard enough to get the phone in and out that it's held safely, but it's not too difficult you end up swearing at it...

It opens downward - i.e. fastens at the top - and even with it closed, you can get to the headphone socket.

So yeah... definitely five stars from me. Very happy with it :)

Psychedelic Jazz (Jazz Club)
Psychedelic Jazz (Jazz Club)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought on a whim - and a good call!, 7 April 2012
Looking at the track listing, only Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & The Trinity were names I recognised, and I just added this to another couple really out of sheer interest. Ironically, out of the three, I've probably listened to this one most. Sure, some of them aren't the most series ("Big Family" kind of qualifies as a novely record, surely?)

It makes great work music, ironically - "Psyche Rock" is brilliant (and tends to get slipped into other playlists now, to be honest), and I can safely say there isn't one of the 16 tracks I don't like!

If you like early Pink Floyd, Syd Barrett, early Grateful Dead, or sixties in general, you'll probably like this. Or if you just fancy something a bit funky and different, I'd say give it a go. The price I paid (£2.49) was right, and the whole thing is 72 minutes of... well, good stuff really. "Season Of The Witch" and "Psyche Rock" are my favourites, but the beautiful cover of "Summertime" is worth a look by anyone's standards, I'd say.

In case you haven't guessed already, I'd recommend it. :)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2013 12:41 PM BST

Memories in my head
Memories in my head

1.0 out of 5 stars This is truly terrible, 12 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Memories in my head (MP3 Download)
Competent musicians, sure, but terrible songwriters. Veering between metal, progressive rock, Tangerine Dream, and even borrowing a few ideas from early Jean-Michel Jarre leaves me with the feeling that I've just heard the musical equivalent of a failed primary school art class collage.

I made sure to listen all the way through - because, you know, why wouldn't you? But it just gets worse.

Save your money and time, and listen to something more interesting. Or recreate the experience for free by just putting together thirty second samples of the most cliched bits of all the records you own. Suptayoo...

When Satan Lives
When Satan Lives

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Mar. 2012
This review is from: When Satan Lives (MP3 Download)
Live albums are rarely worth repeated listens, but this one marks an exception to that rule. Although the mix is a little treble heavy, meaning Glen's bass sometimes gets lost a bit in the mix, everything is clear, precise, and the usual standard you'd expect from a killer metal band like Deicide.

This charts a late 90s tour and provides a well played and eminently listenable romp through the first few albums, including great versions of songs such as "Dead But Dreaming" and "Blame It On God"

Weirdly, perhaps, I find this makes good music for working. Although on headphones, naturally, not speakers...

Best Of Synthesizer Hits
Best Of Synthesizer Hits
Offered by music_by_mail_uk

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the bargain bucket, 20 April 2011
None of the original recordings, all cover versions. Fairly competent ones, though, but if you're expecting the original recordings, it's a bit disappointing.

Classic Recordings From 1927
Classic Recordings From 1927

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, quirky and offbeat..., 20 April 2011
I had this on cassette, bought from a bargain store for 50p about fifteen years ago. It was called "RCA Classics from 1927" then, and featured two flappers on the cover.

I bought it on the offchance, and found that there were some great songs on here - the one that has stuck in my memory was "Sam, The Old Accordion Man", and I was thrilled to see this on Amazon.

Remastering quality was superb, and I really enjoyed hearing these again. Looks like the Williams Sisters* are going to be featuring on my last.fm page quite a lot more now ;-)

*not Venus and Serena, obviously, this is a coincidence

Scott Joplin's Piano Rags
Scott Joplin's Piano Rags
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this, 20 April 2011
I love Scott Joplin, and I was hoping for some really good, lively interpretations of his music. This, however, is so insipid and bland it sounds like it's recorded from a soundcard.

I'm sure there are much better recordings of Joplin than this, and the man deserves much better. Save your money for a better recording...

Live at Hammersmith
Live at Hammersmith

5.0 out of 5 stars A great recording of Wakeman at his best, 3 April 2011
This review is from: Live at Hammersmith (MP3 Download)
The theory is that any artist gets ten years at the top of their game before they find there's nowhere else to go. By that standard, this is two years outside that period (Six Wives being released in 1973), and this recording tends to be the exception that proves the rule.

First, there's a spirited quarter hour running through "The Myths And Legends Of King Arthur", followed by "Three Wives", a medley of three of the more stageworthy of the Six Wives tracks. Side 2 of the original vinyl opens with "Journey", again a truncated but enjoyable run through "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth", and ends up with a terrific version of "Merlin" from King Arthur - you can almost see Wakeman as you hear it, crouched in his trademark cape, arms outstretched in his signature pose, playing two or three keyboard instruments at once.

The last minute is audience reaction - Merlin's obviously closed the show, and the Hammersmith Odeon has gone wild... deservedly. Close a show with something like that... let's just say every time this one's over, I've got a smile on my face :)

Rhapsody in Blue (Original 1927 Recording)
Rhapsody in Blue (Original 1927 Recording)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 3 April 2011
My mother's always been keen on Rhapsody In Blue, and I've never really seen the point. I bought the Bernstein recording - supposed to be the best - but it didn't do it for me. This did - I can absolutely recommend it! Sound quality on this remastering is really good, and ... well, this recording has a real verve and sense of purpose I found missing in the Bernstein recording.

To be honest, if you only ever get one Gershwin recording, this is the one you want.

My People
My People

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting..., 3 April 2011
This review is from: My People (MP3 Download)
I don't know that Yusuf is quite as good as he was in the "Tea for the Tillerman" days, but it's great to have The Artist Formerly Known As Cat Stevens back.... Roadsinger, good as it was, wasn't perhaps the return to form that "An Other Cup" was, but this is making me intrigued about what the new album "Icon" has in store.

Keep an eye on Yusuf, there's more to come...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4