Profile for FiggyB > Reviews

Content by FiggyB

FiggyB (West Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
61 Hours (Jack Reacher, Book 14)
61 Hours (Jack Reacher, Book 14)

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite Reacher book, 7 Dec. 2013
This, in my opinion, is the best Reacher book yet.
The tension which builds throughout is strong enough to make your teeth hurt and the ending does not disappoint. This is very much a page turner.
Lee Child gets stronger with every book he writes, I'm always excited for a new Reacher book.

Live in Session
Live in Session

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 1 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Live in Session (MP3 Download)
Props to these guys for taking the time to record and release a live in session set for Amazon,and then releasing it for free. FREE!

They picked three good songs, two which don't appear on the EP and their biggest hit from it, so a nice mix. The production quality is good and Phil's voice is at it's rawest and most rugged best.

This whole release was a very pleasant surprise.

The Temperance Movement
The Temperance Movement

4.0 out of 5 stars Get into this band QUICK, 1 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Temperance Movement (Audio CD)
This is a well put together and well constructed album from a very new and exciting upcoming bluesy rock band. I was delighted to hear that it debuted at no. 12 in the official chart on release.

I have been lucky enough to chat to some of the band members after a couple of their gigs, and honestly wish them all success for the future. If they go half as far as is being predicted then they will do very well indeed, and it's very gratifying to see how far they've come mainly just on word of mouth alone. Hats off to them for being awesome. I strongly advise you go to see them while the gigs are still small enough for the live version of Chinese Lanterns to work well as it is a beautiful moment. It's worth the ticket price alone.

The only minor negative I have, and the reason I only give 4 stars instead of 5 is that I was a little more disappointed than I expected to be that the album contains all five songs off the EP. That coupled with the live session the band did for Amazon means I didn't actually get many new tracks for my money. Fair play to the band for making the effort to release the live session for free, but maybe it would have been prudent to release some different songs rather than just dumping the whole EP on it. If, however, you don't own the EP then this is totally irellevant and you should GO AND BUY THE ALBUM.

Hangerworld Plastic 45cm (17.8") Strong Plastic Bar Hangers, Bulbous 6cm Shoulder Support, Pack of 5, Black
Offered by Hangerworld

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality, 1 Oct. 2013
These are excellent quality and just what I was hoping for. They have very large shoulder supports so will be very good for the coats I wish to hang on them.

Herlitz A4 Suspension File - Assorted Colours (5 Pieces)
Herlitz A4 Suspension File - Assorted Colours (5 Pieces)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 Oct. 2013
I love these, I love the bright colours etc, but would have been happier had they had plastic side hanging tabs rather than metal.

The Immortalists
The Immortalists

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 1 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Immortalists (Kindle Edition)
I don't particularly like writing negative reviews but there was nothing in this book which made it really stand out for me. It was a bit run of the mill and quite predictable in it's plot, although it rattled along at a good pace and was interesting enough to keep me turning the pages to find out what happened. Overall I'm afraid I'm a bit ambiguous about it really.

The Memory of a Salt Shaker (The Space Within These Lines Book 1)
The Memory of a Salt Shaker (The Space Within These Lines Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant and succinct, 5 Sept. 2013
This is a very short book, only 24 pages long. I bought it as the premise appealed to me. It is very neatly written, and very moving. Anyone who has ever experienced the loss of a loved one will resonate with what's written here. I enjoyed it a lot, in a wistful kind of way.

An Audience With An Elephant: And Other Encounters on the Eccentric Side
An Audience With An Elephant: And Other Encounters on the Eccentric Side

5.0 out of 5 stars Genteel hilarity, 5 Sept. 2013
I'm not going to lie, I loved this book. I finished it immediately wanting to visit each and everything mentioned in its pages, and still might do yet. I was not familiar with Byron Rogers before reading this, but his style and outlook appealed to me no end. If you like Bill Bryson I think you will like this.

The Ninth Life of Louis Drax
The Ninth Life of Louis Drax

3.0 out of 5 stars A little predictable, 9 May 2013
I bought this for my Kindle as it was on special offer.

It is one of those books which kind of drops you right in, with little explanation of character or events. Whilst I generally have no problem with that, it does tend to lead the mind to expect a certain level of drama and intrigue which sadly I just didn't find in this particular story.

It is quite gothic in style, and although it is an interesting premise, I'm afraid it didn't really grab me to the level I was hoping. It was a little short, so I'm glad I didn't pay much for it, and ultimately it was a little predictable.

The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chonicle: Book 1 (Kingkiller Chonicles)
The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chonicle: Book 1 (Kingkiller Chonicles)

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete convert, 9 May 2013
I've had quite a few friends recommend this book to me, and now I've read it I can see why.

At first I was a bit unsure both what to expect and what was actually going on. It didn't take long for the story to pick up though, and what a lovely story it was. Patrick Rothfuss has a very clever and wonderful use of language, and this story is extremely well crafted and put together. He has clearly thought out his particular brand of magic very well, and it's quite scientific (which is always the best kind I think...), and I get the strong impression he knows exactly where he is taking the story, unlike some other currently popular authors who shall remain nameless, but seem to have got a little bogged down and lost in the vastness of their own epic.

I shall definitely be buying the second novel in this Chronicle, and hope not to be disappointed. If it's anything like the first then I shouldn't be.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3