Profile for Mr. S. Roberts > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. Roberts

Mr. S. Roberts "Simon" (London)

The PC Grant Novels: Rivers of London, Moon Over Soho, Whispers Under Ground (Rivers of London 1-3)
by Ben Aaronovitch

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these books, 21 Nov. 2014
I love these books. I bought it by mistake thinking it was historical fiction ( which when you start to read it, it is). When I read the synopsis properly at home I have to admit I laughed and put it on the shelf.
However when I did evetually open it, I was completly gripped and read them all one after another. Then you try and persuade others to read it. Once people get over the intial concept they all agree ( including my 17 year son) that its a fantastic mix of fantasy, being a Londoner, the workings of the Met Police and a world beyond our own.
What makes this combination work, is the writng, its just brilliant.

Poseidon's Spear (Killer of Men)
Poseidon's Spear (Killer of Men)
by Christian Cameron

5.0 out of 5 stars A trip to Blighty, 20 Aug. 2013
This book is as good as the other 2. I loved the see voyages and found it fascinating they got to the Isle of Wight. I can't wait for the next one.

Warrior of Rome: The Amber Road (Warrior of Rome 6)
Warrior of Rome: The Amber Road (Warrior of Rome 6)
by Harry Sidebottom

5.0 out of 5 stars An Historical field trip, 20 Aug. 2013
I love historical fiction and this book along with most of the series is among the best there is. What I love the most about the whole series is the geography. I'm never likely to sail up the Dnieper river even in the 21st Century but to read about it being travelled along in the 2nd is wonderful. I also really liked reading about pre Viking Scandinavia in this tome.
Its a shame that its not in French as my friends would love to read it.
Its also a shame that some people are using this book review section to have a go at Amazon pricing in Kindle and not commenting on the book.
When is the next one Harry?

Strategos - Born in the Borderlands
Strategos - Born in the Borderlands
by Gordon Doherty

2.0 out of 5 stars I gave up, 9 April 2013
I have never written a review before as I thinks its too easy to criticise. I have also seen the author has replied to some.
I really wanted to like this book as it is about an area I know nothing about. However for the 1st time in a long time I gave up reading it as I felt that I was being taught a history lesson and a simple one at that. I want to get into the mind of a character I want to be there suffering what I don't want is staged managed sections where everything is explained to me ( I can look up stuff by myself). It probably didn't help that I had just read a Karen Maitland book and so was comparing.
The Gallows Curse

By A Thread
By A Thread

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy a Thread, 23 Oct. 2009
This review is from: By A Thread (Audio CD)
This is the first time I have left a review but I felt compelled to do so as it is so good. It not often in recent years, that I have enjoyed every track on a new Album.
Yes I am a fan of Southern Rock and anyone that likes that genre will not be disappointed. However it is much more than that. Or, if like me you feel that Southern Rock is a true melting pot of all forms of music, then here it is.
My favourite track at the moment is Railroad Boy and very old folk song given a whole new lease of life. It opens with a very African sounding guitar, moves into a traditional folk lament and then rocks up into a very Led Zep style tune.
Buy it and no that you are supporting a truly great band.

Gooduns
Gooduns
Offered by nagiry

5.0 out of 5 stars my 1st Blues Album, 2 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Gooduns (Audio CD)
When I was 14 (early 70s) I went to my local record store and bought this album. I am not sure why probably because I liked the cover.
It kicked started my love affair with the blues.
Its a great record full of different syles. In all the years I have never got tired of listening it.
The opening track is still my favourite, a woman with a drinking problem.
The guy is now sadly dead.