Profile for Jonny > Reviews

Content by Jonny

Jonny (Bramham, UK)

Bushnell V3 Laser Range Finder
Bushnell V3 Laser Range Finder
Offered by completegolfer co uk
Price: 269.00

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I ever play golf without it!, 17 Sep 2013
Being a scratch player most of my adult life, and having been +1 for part of it, I have always relied upon course books and my own yardages. That is until I bought a sky caddie, which I though was fantastic. Fantastic until you forget to upload a course, forget to charge it, or realise that you have to subscribe annualy!

The Bushnell is the good golfers choice. Any yardage you need, on any course, at any time. Quick and easy to use, laser accurate and fantastic to look at...I love my rangefinder!

You can also pick out small targets on the fairway pretty easisly for those intermediate yardages.

Dressing the Man: Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion
Dressing the Man: Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion
by Alan Flusser
Price: 20.40

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BIBLE, 20 Dec 2012
Simple;

There is no other book on menswear that compares. This is an extensive and comprehensive work, one of a kind...look no further!

Losing My Virginity
Losing My Virginity
by Sir Richard Branson
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A THRILLING READ, FROM A REMARKABLE MAN, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: Losing My Virginity (Paperback)
Mr Branson is a remarkable character, that goes without saying, but reading his book really does bring it home. I have read many business books and autobiographies of other entrepreneurs (phew, did I spell it right!?), but nothing compares to this one.

The book is riveting from page one and you will find yourself unable to put it down. From personal anecdotes and stories, business escapades, and adventurous journeys...this book really packs a punch.

Many people have some less than complimentary things to say about Richard, but I couldn't disagree more. This is a kind and generous, philanthropic man who has gone to the ends of the Earth to help others (literally). He is a man seemingly unchanged by the trappings of major wealth, feet firmly planted on the ground. He has achieved great success from humble beginnings, and I for one say good for you Richard!

As a business owner myself, I found great inspiration in this book. It is littered with gentle reminders that business doesn't have to be all 3 piece suits and board meetings, we are supposed to enjoy the bloody thing!

AVOID THIS BOOK AT YOUR PERIL!

P.S. Regarding Virgins near miss with the West Coast train line, this was yet another oafish decision made by an incompetent government, a government completely ignorant of any commercial sense. When will they start to look more towards business people to confide in for political advice, when its clear thats what the country needs! (And I do not mean Sir Alan Sugar, who has clearly exceeded the size of his little size 5's or whatever they are!)

Mr Classic: Jeremy Hackett
Mr Classic: Jeremy Hackett
by Jeremy Hackett

2.0 out of 5 stars Pseudo Fashion Book, 21 Nov 2012
Being a big fan of the Hackett brand, I expected this to be a real treat. Unfortunately, it does come across as being rather more of an elaborate product catalogue than a genuine insight into the brand.

Jeremy Hackett (clearly a shrewd and very successful businessman) makes many references in the book about things he wishes he could buy but cannot (a Bentley, more Brooks Brothers Shirts), which comes across to me as a little unnecessary when the company turns over a published 90M and growing(2011). I think thats fantastic and I'm pleased for him and the company, but please lets not try to apologise for it and convince us he's just an ordinary working lad!

If I could describe the theme of the book, I would probably say that it is a pseudo fashion book when compared to such triumphs as Ralph Lauren's monster sized coffee table book (which is incredible!) or DIOR etc. This really is a bunch of pictures, with odd little passages to fill the blank white spaces in between the pictures.

In its defence though, there is much worse out there, and I love the little Spaniels! In terms of fashion books and even the menswear genre...you could do much much better, and would gain more insight into the brand by visiting one of their fabulous stores.

MAY I REITERATE THAT THE BRAND IS FANTASTIC AND MUCH LOVED BY MYSELF, JUST NOT LOVING THE BOOK SO MUCH!

Vintage Menswear: A Collection from the Vintage Showroom
Vintage Menswear: A Collection from the Vintage Showroom
by Douglas Gunn
Price: 12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, a fantastic tribute to a beautiful genre!, 21 Nov 2012
I purchased the book in order to draw inspiration for my own clothing brand's 2013 collection, and found some real treats. What strikes you the most is just how timeless most of these pieces are. We think we have moved on leaps and bounds from pieces of clothing manufactured in the early 1900's, but in actual fact we owe most of what we have to the these classic designs.

The photography and detailing is wonderful and the item descriptions are very informative. The selected pieces have clearly been done carefully, as they do represent key genres very well.

I would recommend this book to fashion designers and clothing enthusiasts alike, its a joy that will be picked up again and again for many years to come.

P.S. I will certainly hope to visit the museum to see the full collection!