Profile for frequent flyer X > Reviews

frequent flyer X

The Further Adventures of a London Call Girl
The Further Adventures of a London Call Girl
by Belle de Jour

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved the first book. Clearly, some hated it... but:, 2 Oct 2006
I imagine that many readers of the first Belle de Jour book awaited the arrival of this tome as I eagerly as I did. The question on everyone's lips must be; does it live up to the expectations set by the first? Initial impressions would be that it is written in the same vein. Further exploration does, however, reveal a very different animal. It does read rather like a sequel because, duh! it is a sequel... but to reproduce the first book, or the ongoing blog, would have been tiresome and derivative. This time the author has struck out in a subtly different direction, and fleshed out some of the characters previously introduced. Mainly, though, the pseudonymous one has written an amusing novel of the love-life of the main player, with whose antics many previous readers (myself included) have developed an almost unhealthy obsession.

In this book, like its predecessor, the story is punctuated by bullet point lists, top tens, and in a new variation, several pages of agony aunt letters to Belle. These, like the rest of the book, draw on the author's experience as a call-girl while carefully not being as much about prostitution as the first volume clearly was. Don't get me wrong - there is a fair bit of prostitution in it, but these encounters form less than half of the numerous sexual liaisons described. The professional hook-ups do tend to contain more detail than the more personal ones. None of the description is too gratuitous, though. Throughout, the book is good-humoured and entertaining, rather than pointlessly titillating. I enjoyed reading it, and then I enjoyed reading it again almost immediately. I would recommend Belle de Jour's Further Adventures to anyone who isn't offended by female promiscuity, but I would strongly suggest reading the first book first.